Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Side by side overhaul

Options
  • 13-12-2015 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Hi Folks, just checking if anyone on here has had an old side by side reconditioned, Gun is approx 50 years old, east German buhag. needs barrels blued, metal cleaned, woodwork/polish slight pitting in barrel and one small dent at top end.

Has anyone here got this done or even got a price?

Gun has sentimental value, really don't want to decommission it thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

I'm thinking of doing the same myself have an old sxs stock and handpiece need replacing the barrels don't need bluing I'll probably be doing it at the end of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

bizidea wrote: »
    I'm thinking of doing the same myself have an old sxs stock and handpiece need replacing the barrels don't need bluing I'll probably be doing it at the end of the season

you doing it yourself or handing it in to a smith?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

I'll be handing it in to a smith it's probably going to cost more than the gun is worth but it's sentimental value as well but it will be well worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭sniper83

would love to do the same with an old gun my father has, its a John Rigby sxs. Barrels are pitted and the stock is in bad aul shape too.
    I priced a few bits before for it, a nice piece of timber for the stock would cost 300-500 and the barrels would have to be re-sleeved and blued and then sent for proofing, at this stage I was well over 1,500 so i said id leave it, but I would like to get it do someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

sniper83 wrote: »
    would love to do the same with an old gun my father has, its a John Rigby sxs. Barrels are pitted

If it is a really old gun I would be very careful what work I do to it & who does it.......John Rigby guns are not cheap guns but could be rendered practically worthless if renovation work done incorrectly.

I would get an expert opinion first before tamper with it.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/rigby-shotguns.cfm?cat_id=772

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭sniper83

yes shes really old it's an 1870's Class C-A- box lock non ejector. If he got enough for it he would let it go as I said it needs a lot of work to get it to the standard of guns for sale on the net.
    286_zpsf665a3ff.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Just had a look at a few sites on the old interweb. Those John Rigby guns in good to excellent condition appear to be changing hands for several thousands. I reckon you can't go too far wrong spending the better part of two grand on getting it restored to useable and presentable condition.

Sleeving by a competent gunsmith and having it reproofed will make a serious dent in the value but it should leave you with a serious quality gun that should fetch at least what you spent on repairs if you wanted to sell at a later stage.

Advertisement