Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carseat for 9month old.

Options
  • 13-12-2015 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,
    We're trying to decide on a new car seat for our 9month old. His head is just reaching the top of his maxi cosi cabriofix. At last weigh-in he was almost 27lbs..(~12kg).
    We have the chance to buy a second hand forward facing seat, but is rear facing a much safer option? Any advice on our options would be much appreciated. He's a tall baby so any of the options we saw in our local baby shop seemed to have limited lifespan for a boy of his size..

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would him him rear facing,he is still only a baby despite being tall.
    http://incarsafetycentre.co.uk/contact/belfast/ are a great resource and hapy to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I would do rear facing. If you are in a position to buy at a discount now then join the Facebook group- Ireland: rear facing car seats for toddlers and children.

It looks like there is a bulk buy discount group being formed right now, you'll get great advice and hopefully a discount!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Kitkitty the link moonbeam put up is brill. I bought my car seats from them. They know every seat inside out and upside down and have a way way bigger selection than Southern Ireland. Ring them, tell your baby's weight/height and the car you drive.

I was in your situation july/August 2014 when my baby was 7/8 months old. ERF seats are expensive, there is alot more of them on the market now than even last year. Incarsafetycentre sell a "britax two way elite".....it is the tallest seat on the market and goes up to 25kg. I have one and will be buying another one next summer.

I love the look of the TWE but it was out of my budget, I'm saving for it now for one of the cars and using the joie ianchor (got on sale for 220) in the meantime. I had to stretch myself for the ianchor at the time.

The other one that is to 25kg that's very popular is the axkid minikid. Seems to be lots of people using that too.

Oh and if you end up getting it online to get a discount then the RSA check it fits are excellent for installing and checking car seats. Highly recommend attending one of their days. They travel the country

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Kitkitty

Thanks for that. Any advice on the Besafe izi kid? It seems to be another option but not sure how it compares to the Britax 2we

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

We have a minikid for our tall , heavy boy. The two way elite and mini kid are the two that will serve a tall child the best. Minikid is also sweedish plus tested, not sure about the twe. These seats will last until at least 4yrs. 6 for an average child.

The main difference between the two will depend on your car and circumstances. I believe the twe needs to be rested against the seat in front, therefore you can't change the location of the passenger seat for example if you have a tall person. The minikid has a support leg, so if your car has underfloor storage that could be an issue.

Another one that I see talked about a lot is the Nuna rebel.
    We also have a joie stages, as a travel seat. Only rear facing til 18kg, then forward facing until 25. It's about 150 or less in sales is smyths. Very easy to install.

Joie are also bringing out a new seat, joie every stage (or everywhere?) I think it's supposed to be a birth to 12 yrs. which will be good value, not certain on its limits though

I love all the besafe seats but unfortunately they are huge and wouldn't fit into my car!!! My minder had underfloor storage so had to have one with no supporting leg. TWE cannot not be tested for Swedish plus test as it can be installed forward facing. My other car seat (max fix 2) has passed Swedish plus test. Tbh I have the TWE back in my car and I love it, it is so roomy for him in comparison to the max fix 2.
    I never looked at minikid because there was a recall on them so just discounted them.
    Our brought the TWE to Spain on a Ryanair flight and it was so handy to travel with :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Kitkitty wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Any advice on the Besafe izi kid? It seems to be another option but not sure how it compares to the Britax 2we

We have the besafe izi combi x3.
    We bought it for the eldest nearly 6 years ago and now #4 is in it.The 2 eldest stayed in it until 3 1/2 and the boy who is build like a tank was only in it until 2 1/2 due to not so small little sister.
    It is pretty big but solid and nice and high.
    You wouldn't fit it in a very small car easily but it is fine in most family cars (Primera,Avensis,Passat etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Millem wrote: »
    Kitkitty the link moonbeam put up is brill. I bought my car seats from them. They know every seat inside out and upside down and have a way way bigger selection than Southern Ireland. Ring them, tell your baby's weight/height and the car you drive.

I was in your situation july/August 2014 when my baby was 7/8 months old. ERF seats are expensive, there is alot more of them on the market now than even last year. Incarsafetycentre sell a "britax two way elite".....it is the tallest seat on the market and goes up to 25kg. I have one and will be buying another one next summer.

We have two of these bought from incarsafety in Belfast. Fabulous chairs, they can go both ways (we can't rearface them in husbands car). Customer service is next to none, always helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Ours is a Besafe Izi Go, I wasn't involved in choosing it as it was a Christmas gift from my parents. I would not advise buying a carseat without trying it in the car first ... my car isn't that small (a Ford Focus saloon) but the seat is positioned so high that my two-year-old's head is nearly hitting the ceiling already! It's meant to last til four years old, but I think we'll be doing well to get another six months out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I would also have a look at the britax advansafix. It's a great seat. Very big and tall and can be used forward and rear facing. It also has isofix which the 2-way elite doesn't. It can also be used from 9kg up to 36kg! I got mine from Incar safety. Really can't recommend them enough.

The advansafix is a forward facing carseat not rear facing according to britax's website?

The advansafix is a forward facing carseat not rear facing according to britax's website?

Sorry my bad!!! I thought it was both. I only use it forward facing with my guy. He's older tho and has been forward facing since 9 months as I hadn't a clue about the whole rearward facing at the time! Was getting mixed up with the Nuna rebl which we bought for our daughter which is forward and rearward and isofix! Lol. But that wouldn't be as big as the advansafix.

No probs, was surprised coz I didn't recognise the name from all the reading I had done before getting ours and I love them both though I will need to replace the tilt in a year or so I expect (joie tilt €90 RF to 18kg but short shell, a joie ianchor €220 on sale RF to 18kg no issues with short shell).

Yeah there's a lot more knowledge about ERF (extended rear facing) these days I think. My mother thought I was bonkers but actually nearly everyone I know who is having kids in the last year or two has chosen to stay ERF because of the safety.

No probs, was surprised coz I didn't recognise the name from all the reading I had done before getting ours and I love them both though I will need to replace the tilt in a year or so I expect (joie tilt €90 RF to 18kg but short shell, a joie ianchor €220 on sale RF to 18kg no issues with short shell).

Yeah there's a lot more knowledge about ERF (extended rear facing) these days I think. My mother thought I was bonkers but actually nearly everyone I know who is having kids in the last year or two has chosen to stay ERF because of the safety.

MirrorWall my boy has never travelled FF. My family thought I was off the wall bringing my ERF seat to Spain even though they already had a FF one there for me!!!!

Fair play-5 times safer. I've only had one odd look from someone my age who just didn't want to hear about it. Everyone else I know is still RF their kids and the grandparents are getting used to it. Delighted to see Joie running the "Look back longer" campaign too. My lads nearly 11 months now and we're hoping to RF to at least 3/4 and if I can get the axkid minikid or the TWE in the meantime maybe a little beyond that.

Definitely a lot more knowledge about the ERF these days than there was a few years ago. That why we bought the Nuna for our girl. My son won't travel rearward now because he wouldn't be used to it. I was going to get the 2 way elite for my boy because it is a good big car seat. But Incar safety advised me to get the advansafix. They said, because he would be forward facing the advansafix is a better safer seat in that position than the 2 way elite. But obviously rearward would be optimal.

I think thats the way Sligo, safest in the position they are in. If I have to move him FF for some reason early I will want the best seat for that position!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Yeah rsa are currently changing the info on their websites and pamphlets and with the new isize laws the knowledge should spread a bit faster.

For some reason people seem to think that when their child hits 9 months their child NEEDS to be forward facing! Lunacy!

They also need to do a big campaign on puffy coats and snowsuits in car seats cos that's shocking too!

Dori defo agree about puffy coats! And I think midwives should have training in it too!!!

• Advertisement

Dori defo agree about puffy coats! And I think midwives should have training in it too!!!

It was part of the antenatal class in Holles St - they had Tony Kealy himself in to talk about it! And give handouts etc. The midwife also checked him in his carseat before we left the hospital, and reminded us about it then. Also signs up in the hospital.

It was part of the antenatal class in Holles St - they had Tony Kealy himself in to talk about it! And give handouts etc. The midwife also checked him in his carseat before we left the hospital, and reminded us about it then. Also signs up in the hospital.

Yes they checked mine too and insisted the baby wore a snowsuit!!!

Yes they checked mine too and insisted the baby wore a snowsuit!!!

:O That's terrible!

:O That's terrible!

And don't forget how poor old prince George left the hospital :eek:

And don't forget how poor old prince George left the hospital :eek:

I thought that was an Isofix though, that William mentioned afterwards how he'd practiced in advance clicking it in?

I thought that was an Isofix though, that William mentioned afterwards how he'd practiced in advance clicking it in?

I am talking about how his harness was!!!

I am talking about how his harness was!!!

Oh I don't think I ever saw it at the time! I do remember some sort of controversy about it alright, I thought it was just that he hadn't strapped it in (because of the Isofix) and that people had made a fuss about that!

Oh I don't think I ever saw it at the time! I do remember some sort of controversy about it alright, I thought it was just that he hadn't strapped it in (because of the Isofix) and that people had made a fuss about that!

http://mom.me/in-the-loop/8457-about-royal-car-seat-debacle/

Ah jaysus!

• Advertisement
Advertisement