Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It seems like I'm out of options, what do you guys think?

Options
  • 14-12-2015 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Back in February I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 from what I thought was Amazon UK. Around 2 months ago I started having what appears to be a known issue with rebooting. My first point of call was Samsung Ireland who happily sent it to their repair technicians but it was returned unaltered as it was a Hong Kong model and therfore they were unlicensed to repair it. I was told to contact Samsung UK, which I did but with the same response was told to phone Hong Kong. I decided to email instead. Their reply was even less helpful - please kindly bring to our Hong Kong service centre where we will look...

I then tried to contact Amazon but it turned out the tablet was provided by a reseller who was now no longer operating on Amazon.co.uk and therefore not covered by their guarantee. Amazon's solution was for me to request a "charge-back" with my bank (9 months after purchasing).

I was quite angry by this point so I sent an email to the Samsung UK Managing Director, which got me a swift response in the form of a phone call the following day from one of his underlings. He apologised but told me nonetheless that it wasn't their problem.
    I really don't know where to go next. Do I even have any rights? Please, if anyone has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Have you contacted the seller?
    Your contract (and your rights) lie with the seller but if the seller is outside the EU then it would be extremely difficult to enforce your rights.
    If the seller is in HK the Consumer Council may be able to help with a complaint.
    https://www.consumer.org.hk/ws_en/faq

I don't think you can make Samsung here do anything for you as guarantees can be restricted to certain territories but perhaps you could ask Samsung HK if they would allow Samsung Irl deal with the issue on their behalf. Even if they confirmed the problem is covered under the terms of the guarantee it may give you confidence in shipping the device to HK for repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Something similar is going on right now on Amazon UK where there is a reseller offering the new 12" Apple Macbook at a decent discount. In the customer Q&A section there are two explicit questions asking if this is the UK model and in both cases, the answer is 'Yes'. Not alone that, the Apple part number for the UK model is included in the product title - 'MK4M2B/A' as reassurance.

Scroll down to the customer reviews and you'll see three contributions where people who have purchased say that it's the Hong Kong model and there is no UK pound sign on the keyboard. Presumably at least one buyer has complained to Amazon but the device is still for sale with the false description. As with Tripadvisor, be very careful buying any product or service where all the reviews have either five stars (gushing praise) or one star (not the UK model) and nothing in between.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-MK4M2B-12-Inch-MacBook-Storage/dp/B00WWU0IN0/ref=sr_1_5?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1450115392&sr=1-5&keywords=macbook

Caveat Emptor.

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

coylemj wrote: »
    In the customer Q&A section there are two explicit questions asking if this is the UK model and in both cases, the answer is 'Yes'.

Its worth noting as well that those questions are answered by others who have bought the same item, not the seller

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Spocker wrote: »
    Its worth noting as well that those questions are answered by others who have bought the same item, not the seller

All of the replies which explicitly state that it's the UK model are from users flagged as sellers ........

A user called Anthony Gordon asked on August 18th.... 'Is this a UK apple laptop?' and received one reply 'Yes it is UK Model. Latest 12" Gold version. thank you.' from a user called 'E-Gadget', flagged as a seller.

A user called Kate Alcock asked on Nov 26th 'Is this a UK model?' and received four replies. One of the replies was vague ('I think so') while all the other three explicitly replied 'yes' and all came from users flagged as sellers.

Advertisement