Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Isis were to attack Ireland, what places would be target?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

A synchronised attack in Blanchardstown,Liffey valley and Dundrum shopping centres

1 "man" at each location 1 ak47 each

horribly easy:(

Yep I agree unfortunately. Those shopping centres are extremely busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

Dublin's O'Connell Street Patties Day with any luck.

Burgers have a dedicated day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

circadian wrote: »
    Burgers have a dedicated day?

Yeah, it's the 4th July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Duck Soup wrote: »

Apart from that, big American companies in Ireland - Apple, Google, Microsoft, - of which there are plenty.

An attack on the data/power/water supplies for them would be more effective than an attack on staff in terms of strategic damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The 2016 commemoration of 1916, initially some will think a re-enactment is happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Hasn't that been moved to Fermanagh ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Where Harp lager is brewed, St James Gate!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭warpdrive

Dublin's O'Connell Street Patties Day with any luck.

...I can't believe somebody on an Irish forum just spelt it 'Patties Day'...

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

is it just me or is there something a tad disturbing about 'suggesting' targets for a terrorist attack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

is it just me or is there something a tad disturbing about 'suggesting' targets for a terrorist attack?

Its called black humour, not like the so called IS needs any ideas for such attacks but they hate being mocked/trivalised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭IrishCule

PARlance wrote: »
    The evolution of terrorist attacks in the West in brief:
    New York, London, Madrid, Paris, Moate

You are very clever, well done. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Its called black humour, not like the so called IS needs any ideas for such attacks but they hate being mocked/trivalised

Trust me, I get it. Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I don't expect them to be any smarter than those fleg burning unionists. We'll be grand. We should probably send a heads up to Ivory Coast though...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

seamus wrote: »
    Stadia are actually not that great as targets overall - it's a lot of people but it's also a huge space. An explosive vest or an automatic weapon will only have an effect on the immediate area. They're also designed for fast dispersal of people so people will have evacuated pretty quickly. Plus getting into a stadium with a concealed weapon is not that easy, so you'd have to go with the bomb.

The visual impact will be high with 80,000 people claiming they nearly died even though they were 400m away from the bomb. But in terms of body count it would be small.

The reason they went for the Batalcan in Paris is because it's a relatively small venue, once you storm the doors you're practically inside the theatre floor and can open fire on an unaware crowd. Larger venues like the point there are a number of barriers to get through before you get to the crowd, meaning your chances of success are far smaller and the crowd likely aware of an issue before you even get near them.

The actual number of extremists is small. They wouldn't have 20 people who can strategically position themselves in a venue to set off bombs. There might be 4 or 5 of them at most, and they're not all going to be suicide bombers.

So, like in Paris, they will aim for targets that you can launch straight attacks on. Covert operations that involve sneaking into venues and placing yourself among the crowd are much harder to pull off successfully.

you couldn't be more wrong.
    the carnage would be huge.
    yes the terrorists would kill a few but the stampede would kill thousands.
    I know stadiums are designed to allow people out reasonably fast but that is with calm people. if there was a terror attack there would be 80000 people rushing to 'safety'. look at hillsbouragh disaster and a few others. a stampede is a real killer. imaging 2 lunatics on one end of croke park with ak47s . everyone would rush out into the stairs, and corridors. then imagine another 4 nutters with more guns. all they would have to do is funnel the people and you could kill 20000 easily

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Knine wrote: »
    Yep I agree unfortunately. Those shopping centres are extremely busy.

I haven't been I liffey valley or dundrum for a while I know blanchardstown Is laid out like an X with 4 doors. maybe be more but I cant remember

one or 2 lunatics on each door and everyone would run to the middle and fall down through the huge hole in the middle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

you couldn't be more wrong.
    the carnage would be huge.
    I know stadiums are designed to allow people out reasonably fast but that is with calm people. if there was a terror attack there would be 80000 people rushing to 'safety'. look at hillsbouragh disaster and a few others. a stampede is a real killer. imaging 2 lunatics on one end of croke park with ak47s . everyone would rush out into the stairs, and corridors. then imagine another 4 nutters with more guns. all they would have to do is funnel the people and you could kill 20000 easily
    Hasn't that already been done?

Come to think of it, bombing our cities has already been done. But it wasn't ISIS or any Muslim extremists either time. It was our nearest and dearest neighbour.

I know, I'm a bitter and twisted ould codger. Times have changed, blah, blah, blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually stampedes specifically rarely kill that many people. Getting stood on by people will hurt, but is unlikely to kill you, we're not that heavy and we have soft feet and shoes.
    In stampedes it's often collateral issues like bridges or walls collapsing with the weight or people falling off heights, but mostly the big issue is crushing - when the stampede hits a dead end or a pinch point.

Modern Stadia are generally designed to avoid this kind of issue and in the lower stands specifically you can get onto the pitch if necessary.

Even if there were a mass panic in a capacity croke park, the majority of issues would be people falling on the upper tiers (those stairs are steep!). I'd say you be looking at a few thousand hospitalisation injuries - broken bones and soft tissue injuries, and deaths in the single figures - the teens at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭s8n

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Seriously !!!

When will this forum get over Fr. Ted ??

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭spindex

s8n wrote: »
    Seriously !!!

That would be an equmenical matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

Weren't most of the people Iin Hillsborough killed by stampede, or did something fall on them? I'm not disagreeing with you just wondering
    seamus wrote: »
    Actually stampedes specifically rarely kill that many people. Getting stood on by people will hurt, but is unlikely to kill you, we're not that heavy and we have soft feet and shoes.
    In stampedes it's often collateral issues like bridges or walls collapsing with the weight or people falling off heights, but mostly the big issue is crushing - when the stampede hits a dead end or a pinch point.

Modern Stadia are generally designed to avoid this kind of issue and in the lower stands specifically you can get onto the pitch if necessary.

Even if there were a mass panic in a capacity croke park, the majority of issues would be people falling on the upper tiers (those stairs are steep!). I'd say you be looking at a few thousand hospitalisation injuries - broken bones and soft tissue injuries, and deaths in the single figures - the teens at most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

s8n wrote: »
    Seriously !!!

Down with that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

endacl wrote: »
    I don't expect them to be any smarter than those fleg burning unionists. We'll be grand. We should probably send a heads up to Ivory Coast though...

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

melissak wrote: »
    Weren't most of the people Iin Hillsborough killed by stampede, or did something fall on them? I'm not disagreeing with you just wondering

Crushed rather than stampeded. A lot of them died on their feet from "compressive asphyxia" from being packed in so tightly. ****ing terrifying. It's a bit like when you were on the bottom of a pile on but knowing for sure that there was no way out while you slow died.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

dubscottie wrote: »
    Should it not be "try to target"??

I know of at least 3 places where the feckers are watched for..

Newgrange per chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

A synchronised attack on all Mr Price stores around the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

We have or had forces at one stage or another in Lebenon, Liberia, Kosovo, Lybia, Sierra Leon. We have Private Military Companies and security forces working in Afganistan and Iraq right now made up of ex Ranger Wing members providing private security protection services.

We poke or nose in plenty and that's without mentioning Shannon stop overs and the fact we let military aircraft use our airspace.

You're missing one very important point. ISIS don't attack countries out of some kind of blind revenge. Their object is to draw Western powers deeper into quagmires in the Middle East and then engage them there in wars of attrition to exhaust and bankrupt them.

An attack on Ireland would be a complete waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

jacksie66 wrote: »
    If they touch Donkey Ford's or The Chicken Hut in Limerick I'll be on the first flight home from NZ to fight the bastards..

mmmmmmm chicken hut

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

melissak wrote: »
    Crushed.
    The media do use stampede & crush interchangeably - probably because a stampede often leads to a crush - but they are two very different things.

Getting caught in a stampede isn't all that dangerous - people tend to not just run over someone who has fallen over, because they'll probably trip up themselves. The main worry in a stampede is that you'll get pushed into or off something by the crowd, particularly slower people like the aged or children.

One kind of crush that frequently happens in a stampede is that someone falls over, someone else falls over them, and so on until there are fifteen people in a pile creating an obstruction. More people continue tripping and falling and getting stopped at the obstruction, but the people at the back keep coming and pushing. So even though there was no actual obstacle to begin with, people die from the crush.

Modern venues are designed to avoid this in a number of ways, the main one being that you have multiple exits and that as you leave the stadium/venue, the size of the exits gets progressively larger. This means that you don't (or shouldn't) get pinch-points, and someone tripping up at one exit isn't going to cause a major backlog and crushing injuries.

Croke Park again is a good example. There are at least 80 exits from the seating to the main walkways. Even if everyone in the stadium went for the exits, you're talking about 1,000 people per exit at once.
    Though in real terms the entire lower section of the lower stands (and then some) will fit on the pitch, which is about half the stadium. So it's only 500 people per exit, at most.

Which is this many people

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Whosthis wrote: »
    Bray, please be Bray.

Hey!!!

Why does everyone hate Bray?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭josephryan1989

Rushing to the roof gantry of Croke Park Sergeant Jim McGrath of the Army Ranger Wing pulled the plastic cover off the box he was carrying on his shoulder and dropped to his knees taking out the Stinger. He shouldered it in record time and the beeping of the missile tracker told him he had acquisition. Not a second later he loosed his shot knowing even then that it didn't matter a damn any more.
    Garda Mulligan's eyes were wild.
    "Oh Jesus! We're too late!" she screamed.

Khalid was startled by the streak of light and flinched in surprise rather than fear as he watched the heat seeking missile approach the right inboard engine of his hijacked 747. The explosion was surprisingly loud and alarms told him the engine was totally destroyed but he was less than 1,000 yards from the stadium. The aircraft dipped and yawed slightly the left. Khalid compensated for it without a thought, adjusting trim and nosing down for the edge of the Hogan Stand where he knew Enda Kenny would be seated there amid thousands of other infidel Irish dogs. He selected the impact point as finely as any routine landing and his last thought was that if they could use Shannon to refuel planes and kill his family in Syria and bring disgrace to all Muslims, then they would pay a very special price for that. His last voluntary act was to select the point of impact, two thirds of the way up a concrete support column. That would be just about perfect he knew. He could see people leaping from the stand as his target loomed ahead...
    "ALLAHU AKBAR!" Khalid cried with his last breath and all his might.

Nearly three hundred tons of aircraft and fuel struck the end of the Hogan Stand smashing through row after row of concrete columns and exploding in an enormous hot orange fireball which engulfed the entire structure. Debris and fire tore through the tiered stand killing thousands instantly and setting off a chain reaction collapse that spread around the stadium bringing down the Canal End and spreading to the Cusack Stand engulfing the entire area in an enormous cloud of smoke and powdering concrete. Men women and children screamed in protest but were obliterated under as cascade of steel and concrete that would become their funeral pyre. The players on the field a moment ago absorbed in their hurling game tried to run but were swallowed by the avalanche. A mushroom of flame and smoke rolled into the Dublin sky.

Advertisement