Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this real?

Options
  • 14-12-2015 4:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Seen this during the week on Facebook and I wondering what your take on it is?
    They claim It was caught in a coal pit somewhere, which they say is the reason for the dark colouring on it bit I'm not sure if it is real or faked in some way!?

Is this real? 19 votes

YES
    0% 0 votes
    NO0
    100% 19 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Is it the fella with the pike or the pike?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Tippjohn

Seems like a MINER detail.... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Is it the fella with the pike or the pike?

The pike! Yer man doesn't really float my boat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Simply because of the image quality I would say it's a fake, I can't understand how even nowadays, with 8MP+ cameras in nearly everyone's pockets, how these "are they/aren't they" and "real/not real" pics still always manage to be horribly grainy and for all the world look like they're covering up some bad Photoshopping! :D

niallon wrote: »
    Simply because of the image quality I would say it's a fake, I can't understand how even nowadays, with 8MP+ cameras in nearly everyone's pockets, how these "are they/aren't they" and "real/not real" pics still always manage to be horribly grainy and for all the world look like they're covering up some bad Photoshopping! :D

But if it was photo shoped would ya not get rid of the blind eye?

think I just answered my own question!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

gumbo1 wrote: »
    But if it was photo shoped would ya not get rid of the blind eye?

think I just answered my own question!

That's what they want you to think.... :D

niallon wrote: »
    That's what they want you to think.... :D

Conspiracy theory thread is that way =>
    Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Fact that the pikes eyes are clouded gives me the impression it's been dead for a while and frozen also. Great colours on it and a pike of that colour would make me think it's hunting ground is in deep water among rocks and crevices but very dark areas it's an unusual colour on it.
    Pike come in all shapes and sizes and colours and nothing surprises me these days with fish. Most pikes colour is adapted by the area in which it hunts. A pike that hunts in weedy areas will have a skin colour of same design as the weedy areas it hunts in. They're Ambush predators that lie in wait completely camouflaged on their hunting grounds and this is what makes them the perfect apex predators of the fish world in Ireland. Main predator of a pike is a bigger pike

I'm aware that they can take on a lighter or darker colour based on their surroundings. Like I said in the op, it was supposedly caught in a disused coal quarry so that could explain the darker colour in the mottling but for it to be so black?
    I see where your coming from about it being dead for some time, a few hours while still fishing the day away! But maybe it's just blind from all the coal residue in the water. It would be reliant on its sensory glands entirely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Don't think it's fake! Seen much more peculiar looking animals, birds, fish over the years!

Advertisement