Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat pee tried everything - get rid of cat??

• 14-12-2015 8:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Hi! We have a cat for two years - about six months ago it took to peeing on our landing - very small house so it stinks and everytime, I go upstairs I feel nauseated and I feel embarrassed when people go upstairs to use the bathroom. Have tried everything including washing the area with bio powder, putting baking soda on it and using a product called urine off - all to no avail - the smell is still there and I can't afford to get a new carpet - the one on the stairs was e800 and is pure wool - the rest of the house is wooden flooring. The cat is hard to keep out as once the kids or their friends come in she is in the door, I'm thinking of giving the cat back to <snip> as I am just finding it hugely stressful and upsetting to manage this, work full-time and also manage two teenagers - I'm now embarrassed about brining anyone to the house - I've also had the carpet professionally cleaned 3 times in the last six months to no avail. We have a litter box that is cleaned regularly. My kids are 14 and 12 and are a bit upset about the cat possibly going back to <snip> but I really can't do this with the pee and urine smell any longer - any ideas????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

There's pretty much always a reason for cats peeing outside the box?

Have you taken her/him to the vets for a checkup?

Can you think of any reasons the cat may be stressed? From your post it suggests you try to keep the cat outside, maybe she/he wants to be inside and this is causing stress?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

First of all are you sure you've washed the correct area? If it "stinks all the time" it indicates it's still there which means you've actually not removed it; this in turn would mean the cat is very likely to go again (as it smells right to go after all) and you really need to find every area (which means lifting everything, sniffing everything and removing it step by step). If you've washed the correct area there is no longer a smell there (as a foster with kittens who've are known to pee everywhere I'm to the point of being able to smell pee two rooms away at this stage) so that's the first step I'd take (and you'd need to use the Urine Off and leave it for 30 min to break down the enzymes).

Secondly a cat does not start peeing outside the litter box for the fun of it; there's always a reason for it so the vet visit for health check is required to rule that area out but what changed six months ago? Did you move the litter box? Did you have visitors? Did you go on vacation? Did you change the cat litter? Also is there a possibility to put a litter box close by the area (it's not permanent but about redirecting the behavior) as six months (assuming they are peeing there regularly) means that general area is associated as a go to area atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Nody wrote: »
    Also is there a possibility to put a litter box close by the area (it's not permanent but about redirecting the behavior) as six months (assuming they are peeing there regularly) means that general area is associated as a go to area atm.

This was what I was thinking. Put a litter tray where she is going and then slowly in the new year, when things are back in a routine, move it back to where you want it to be.

Does she do it at nighttime or during the day? Does she spend a lot of time inside just chillin out and sleeping?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I agree - if you can smell it, you're cleaning the wrong place. If you get a blue light, you can see if the wee is being sprayed up walls or on or in stuff, rather than just being on the carpet.

I use this one;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vansky-Blacklight-Flashlight-Fluorescent-Whitening/dp/B010XC36FU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450096123&sr=8-1&keywords=blue+pet+urine+light

(female cats spray urine - took me a while to realise that as I thought it was only Toms that could pee standing up)

Has your cat been neutured? Is your cat stressed by anything? As has already been said, for a cat to use a litter tray with no problems for 18 months, then something must be up for it to keep doing this.

Also another obvious one to get out of the way - do you have a catflap? It may not even be your kitty that's doing it?

Whilst I appreciate rogue peeing can be a pain, it can usually get sorted.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Why on earth would you be thinking of getting rid of the cat over this :confused:

This is something that you just need to work on. What has the vet said?

There have been some great suggestions here. Im actually going to get that blacklight myself - great little device.

I think first steps is thoroughly cleaning the area with a urine removing product. Then bring the cat to the vet and see what he/she says.

Add an extra litter tray to the area.

I would also echo what others are saying with regards to the fact that it might not even be your cat - have you seen her in the act? We have a local Tom who tries to sneak in and spray to let our cats know who is boss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Apologies for jumping in on this thread but I have a similar problem with one of my cats.
    Since a new kitten arrived he's been peeing in the hall.
    Although I have several litter boxes and there were never any problems with them before he now refuses to use the litter tray if another cat has used it.
    What I'm thinking might work is a collar activated door on a litter tray so only he can use it.. if such thing exists?

Edited to clarify, it's not the new kitten refusing to use the trays. Its Carlos, who I handreared and have had over a year now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Isnt the standard to be 1 litter tray per cat plus 1? In that case, is there not always at least 1 that Carlos can use? Or will he not use it after another cat even if its been cleaned out?

Isnt the standard to be 1 litter tray per cat plus 1? In that case, is there not always at least 1 that Carlos can use? Or will he not use it after another cat even if its been cleaned out?

That's what I have. And they are in various locations around the house. But it seems all the other cats like variety and will use any of them lol
    Before the new kitten came he never minded using the same tray as the others. Sometimes actually getting into the tray as another was getting out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Another victim here. Two cats, one impeccable but a little uptight, the other a mess of long haired fluff that is very needy. Needy cat pisses when he doesn't get his own way or when he's not getting as much attention as he feels he deserves. Also does it if he wants to go out and the window is not open. Just a behavioural thing with him. Both cats are neutered.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

teggers5 wrote: »
    Apologies for jumping in on this thread but I have a similar problem with one of my cats.
    Since a new kitten arrived he's been peeing in the hall.
    Although I have several litter boxes and there were never any problems with them before he now refuses to use the litter tray if another cat has used it.
    What I'm thinking might work is a collar activated door on a litter tray so only he can use it.. if such thing exists?

Edited to clarify, it's not the new kitten refusing to use the trays. Its Carlos, who I handreared and have had over a year now.
    Sounds like he's stressed by the new kitten Teggers, this is why he's overly conscious about toilets etc. to make sure things smell correctly. The good news is as he gets used to the kitten this should return and you can add things such as Feliway etc. to help him.

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    Sounds like he's stressed by the new kitten Teggers, this is why he's overly conscious about toilets etc. to make sure things smell correctly. The good news is as he gets used to the kitten this should return and you can add things such as Feliway etc. to help him.

That's the thing, he's an odd little fella who doesn't like change. Shortly after the kitten arrived I discovered I was pregnant and he completely blanked me!
    Ignored me when I called his name and refused to sit on lap like he always did. It was like he knew. Thankfully he has come round from the shock of that! Lol
    Funny thing is, himself and the kitten get on quite well. They sleep curled up together on the couch and between the two of them they destroyed the Christmas tree in an hour!

Advertisement