Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Santa and digital download presents

Options
  • 14-12-2015 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi there, I have an 11 year old who is on the verge of no longer believing in the guy in the white beard.

He added Just Cause 3 late to his list. I would get it but if prefer to buy online and download the games, rather than a hard copy. Obviously a hard copy is a more traditional gift under the tree so has anyone any ideas what I can do.

Can you buy a printed code for the game, etc? I would leave a note saying "check your PS4 for more goodies" but it is fairly unorthodox.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Hi there, I have an 11 year old who is on the verge of no longer believing in the guy in the white beard.

He added Just Cause 3 late to his list. I would get it but if prefer to buy online and download the games, rather than a hard copy. Obviously a hard copy is a more traditional gift under the tree so has anyone any ideas what I can do.

Can you buy a printed code for the game, etc? I would leave a note saying "check your PS4 for more goodies" but it is fairly unorthodox.

Thanks

Not that I'm aware of.

If you are going digital as a gift for christmas, I would d/l before as the servers will be hammered and that's excluding the lizard squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

As said servers will be hammered even by normal usage so dependant on your connection it may not be a simple matter of starting the download after he goes to bed and it being finished in the morning.

My parents may have been ass holes as they loved to hide presents.
    No sign of bike by Tree upstairs, and it was down in the kitchen.
    No mention/sign of a "surprise" present that my brother asked for, but while my brother was playing with something my dad dragged a huge trampoline up from the shed and placed it stealthily in front of the house.

So I'd (internet connection allowing) download it the night of and make no mention of the game until he boots the PS4 up and there it is. Could play around with it being a late addition of some such, or play up the fact it wasn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

You could say I saw an old man with a white beard and a red coat using your PS4 last night. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Does Just Cause 3 not have an 18 rating?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

tallpaul wrote: »

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭psnKOB79LFC

tallpaul wrote: »

Ask yourself if kids in 6th class have played GTA? They all have!!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭uprooted tradition

Thanks

Was in the same situation and honestly I am not sure what the answer is.

My young fellah was looking for WWE 2k16 and I prefer the downloads too. I thought I was going to have to bite the bullet and get the disk for him but at the last minute we decided that Nanny and Grandad would get the digital copy for him instead so that solved the problem for us.

I was thinking of printing out a copy of the cover with a note on the back saying something like "Check your Playstation from ... you know who"

Another option is to get him a voucher for the Playstation Network for him to download it on the morning but as has already been said, this could take a long time for it to be ready to play.

A word of caution though, it was cheap during black Friday and I bought it thinking it would sit there in the library unnoticed because the kids would NEVER look in there. WRONG! "Daddy. whats that?" If that was going to be from the big guy, that would have been a WHOLE different conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Ask yourself if kids in 6th class have played GTA? They all have!!

I've played every GTA in the year of their release and I'm 23 (even 1, 2 and their expansions) and I didn't grow up to be a murdering psychopath - at least I think not!

The kid playing around on Just Cause 3 won't do any harm, no need to hide away any grappling hooks or wing suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I would get it but if prefer to buy online and download the games, rather than a hard copy.

Your preferences have no bearing on what Santy does. ;)

Just buy him the physical copy and enjoy seeing him open the present. No need to overthink it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

The kid probably knows the score with Santy but doesn't want to admit it in case he doesn't get any stuff! They all talk in school and someone always knows whats up so have the conversation with him I'd say, then buy it digitally. My lad is nearly 11 and he knows the craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Dodge wrote: »
    Your preferences have no bearing on what Santy does. ;)

Just buy him the physical copy and enjoy seeing him open the present. No need to overthink it

This! Might be the last year he believes just get the hard copy and enjoy your Christmas :)

Advertisement