If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humax HDR 1000S - plugging optical cable into SPDIF input

Options
  • 14-12-2015 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I purchased a Humax HDR 1000S from you about a year ago and I purchased a Yamaha Yas-93 soundbar this week.

I'm connecting the soundbar to the Humax via an optical cable, and normally when you plug these cables into sockets there's a notable "click" when it's fully in place (I tested it on my TV first and noticed it clicks into place).
    When I plugged it into the Humax it didn't click into place and also seems to stick out slightly about 2mm, so in theory it could be pulled out easily if I was moving the Humax box.

I am getting a Dolby signal on my Yamaha, although a green light indicating the signal strength doesn't appear to be fully lit up which makes me think the signal isn't 100%.

So my questions are:

- Should the optical cable click into the place on the Humax, or does it just slide in loosely? Is it a known issue?

- Is an optical signal analogue or digital? i.e. if I'm getting a signal does that mean it's fine, and if there were problems it would just send no audio, or are there degrees of quality if the plug isn't fully inserted?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

mrcheez wrote: »
    Hi, I purchased a Humax HDR 1000S from you about a year ago and I purchased a Yamaha Yas-93 soundbar this week.

I'm connecting the soundbar to the Humax via an optical cable, and normally when you plug these cables into sockets there's a notable "click" when it's fully in place (I tested it on my TV first and noticed it clicks into place).
    When I plugged it into the Humax it didn't click into place and also seems to stick out slightly about 2mm, so in theory it could be pulled out easily if I was moving the Humax box.

I am getting a Dolby signal on my Yamaha, although a green light indicating the signal strength doesn't appear to be fully lit up which makes me think the signal isn't 100%.

So my questions are:

- Should the optical cable click into the place on the Humax, or does it just slide in loosely? Is it a known issue?

- Is an optical signal analogue or digital? i.e. if I'm getting a signal does that mean it's fine, and if there were problems it would just send no audio, or are there degrees of quality if the plug isn't fully inserted?

Many thanks!
    Mrcheez,

optical is as digital as it gets and there is no sort of working, its an all or nothing job, so if you can hear it - its AOK!

Some Optical sockets are 'snugger' than others so I honestly would not be too concerned - if the you experience Audio dropout then you should start to be concerned!

Thanks again and keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.