Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neil Young - Ireland 2016

Options
  • 14-12-2015 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Dates in Belfast (6 June) and Dublin (7 June) announced for 2016 - see Hot Press on-line (sorry, can't post link).

On sale Friday 18 December...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Awesome! There's no-one greater in music than Neil Young.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Superb. Missed him last time. Nothing on TBastard yet.

Hes been playing some rare sh1t lately

https://youtu.be/0N9KJozxsHM

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Where's he playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

monkey9 wrote: »
    Where's he playing?

3 Arena

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

The Nal wrote: »
    Superb. Missed him last time.

You didn't miss much, the RDS was a nasty venue. Poor preparation.

The speakers weren't secured properly and being windy, the sound was distorted with the speakers swaying.

Can't wait for this indoor gig though! Very well suited to him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

The last time he played here was Live at the Marquee in Cork 2014.
    Fantastic gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

mrk75 wrote: »
    Dates in Belfast (6 June) and Dublin (7 June) announced for 2016
    Superb. Missed him last time.

Maybe - I took this as last time he played Dublin.

The speakers weren't secured properly and being windy, the sound was distorted with the speakers swaying.

Heard that. Yeah saw him in the Point in 2009. Great gig. Nice warm up for Glastonbury later that week!

Must've got lucky at that gig, sound was perfect where I was. Indoors is definitely a different experience, though. The gig in the O2 in 2009 was absolutely fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Must've got lucky at that gig, sound was perfect where I was. Indoors is definitely a different experience, though. The gig in the O2 in 2009 was absolutely fantastic.

Same here, I was central and fairly close to the front and sound was great. Friends were back and to the side and they said sound was awful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Jeez was that O2 gig really all the way back in 2009 ? :eek: that was one of the best shows I've ever been at full stop... Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

Yeah, RDS was so disappointing. Great set-list if we could have heard it properly.

The Marquee gig made up for it, though. That was superb although the one he played there a few years prior to that was just as good if not better - same week he played Malahide Castle, I think.

Anyway, this tour with Willie Nelson's young fellas is getting great reviews. There's an article in this month's Uncut about the rare tracks he's been rolling out - stuff like Vampire Blues that he's played only once or twice before.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

Strumms wrote: »
    Jeez was that O2 gig really all the way back in 2009 ? :eek: that was one of the best shows I've ever been at full stop... Great stuff.

That was an amazing band he had with him. They could turn their hand to anything from his catalogue - and did. I think "Burned" was played that night for the first time in ages.

A Day in the Life was pretty good too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Saw him in the point in 2001, genuinely one of the best gigs I've seen...

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/neil-young-and-crazy-horse/2001/point-theatre-dublin-ireland-6bd052a2.html

Saw him again in Malahide but I left somewhat disappointed. Think he works better indoors so I reckon I'l give this another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Heard that. Yeah saw him in the Point in 2009. Great gig. Nice warm up for Glastonbury later that week!

That Glastonbury gig was incredible. Best act of the weekend and that included Springsteen and Blur as the other headliners

mrk75 wrote: »
    There's an article in this month's Uncut about the rare tracks he's been rolling out - stuff like Vampire Blues that he's played only once or twice before.

Yeah hes dropped Vampire Blues, L.A., Alabama. Lets hope for more Ditch Trilogy stuff!
    8-10 wrote: »
    That Glastonbury gig was incredible. Best act of the weekend and that included Springsteen and Blur as the other headliners

Agree. One of the best gigs I've seen. He was a wild man that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I actually really enjoyed the RDS gig, i thought it was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

The bits I could hear sounded fantastic, but it was certainly the worst sounding outdoors one I've ever been to.

It was a fantastic gig. I remember a lot of people around me wondering why he didnt play Old Man or Heart of Gold. Never gonna hear those at a Crazy Horse gig, but the gig was classic Horse. Fantastic day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭emo72

so which neil young is this? acousticy or rocky? or a bit of both would be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

adrian522 wrote: »
    Saw him in the point in 2001, genuinely one of the best gigs I've seen...

Agreed. Incredible show..

So happy he's not in the RDS this time. I've had a number of otherwise great gigs ruined by the poor sound there. Last time Neil Played there was among the worst.

emo72 wrote: »
    so which neil young is this? acousticy or rocky? or a bit of both would be grand.

Looks like stuff from across his career, judging by the setlists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Belfast tickets are £65 and £70. Hopefully we get a crowd pleasing set rather than the fare served up in the RDS last time

Peter File wrote: »
    Belfast tickets are £65 and £70. Hopefully we get a crowd pleasing set rather than the fare served up in the RDS last time

Much more likely to get songs from across his career on this tour. Neil Young does not do crowd-pleasing sets, though, and anyone that thinks that he does is kidding themselves. Especially at a Crazy Horse gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Much more likely to get songs from across his career on this tour. Neil Young does not do crowd-pleasing sets, though, and anyone that thinks that he does is kidding themselves. Especially at a Crazy Horse gig.
    A quick look at setlist.fm for his recent shows indicates that he is playing crowd pleasing sets again.

Seen Neil Young live 10 times.

Slane 1993
    RDS Indoor 1995
    The Point 1996
    The Point 2001
    Vicar St 2003
    Madison Square Garden, NY 2003
    Malahide Castle 2008
    The O2 2009
    RDS outdoor 2013
    Live at the Marquee 2014

maybe with the exception of the 2013 show (although I enjoyed it), every show has been fantastic. Roll on 2016.

poundhound wrote: »
    Seen Neil Young live 10 times.

Slane 1993
    RDS Indoor 1995
    The Point 1996
    The Point 2001
    Vicar St 2003
    Madison Square Garden, NY 2003
    Malahide Castle 2008
    The O2 2009
    RDS outdoor 2013
    Live at the Marquee 2014

maybe with the exception of the 2013 show (although I enjoyed it), every show has been fantastic. Roll on 2016.

Wopw! Great stuff. What was Vicar St like? Some encores both nights!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Top price for the 3Arena is €96, which I'm guessing will be for standing and the seats in the lower and middle tier. They're not doing it like the last O2 show, with the full floor. It's the optimum standing configuration, so there's no "balcony" as such. It's a relatively small standing area, which is good, 'cos even if you're at the back, you're still not far away from the stage. The seats start more or less from the floor, at Row 5, and continue up, amphitheatre style. It's the same arrangement they did for Rush, Peter Gabriel, The Who (earlier this year) and many others.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Wow! Great stuff. What was Vicar St like? Some encores both nights!

I'm going to jump in here and say night three was the best.
    Ambulance Blues. That is all. :D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement

Re: "What was Vicar St like?"

Fantastic, although he played "Greendale" acoustically in its entirety, which wasn't to everybody's taste.

The show in NY the following month was "Greendale" performed with Crazy Horse and included actors and actresses on stage.

During the acoustic numbers at the NY show, he had a pint of Guinness at his feet. He said his father "who lived in Howth, Dublin" recommended it.

Advertisement