Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neil Young - Ireland 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

adrian522 wrote: »

"17-minute rendition of “Cowgirl in the Sand,”

Worth the admission price just for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

Just 17 minutes? I'd feel short-changed....!

Nah, that sounds only wondrous. Got me tickets for Belfast there. Bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Fúckin TM app nearly ballsed me up, I had row 6 in Block D. It got me to the last page, then unable to contact server.
    Went on the pc a few mins later and got Row 6 in Block C, so all the same really.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Mine is at the
    Sit tight, we're securing your tickets...

since about 9:05

Is it just me?

• Advertisement

endabob1 wrote: »
    Mine is at the
    Sit tight, we're securing your tickets...

since about 9:05

Is it just me?
    I'd say refresh the page, its hung

Bugger, I tried to get the presale, but as I live in the UK it kept throwing a paddy.

I'll start again and see if it works

endabob1 wrote: »
    Bugger, I tried to get the presale, but as I live in the UK it kept throwing a paddy.

I'll start again and see if it works
    Dont worry it wont sell out yet

Dont worry it wont sell out yet

Certainly hope not, I might just leave it now because it's doing the same thing again

Thing is, I've seen him twice outdoors and both times it has poured rain and been a general let down, so I am really keen to see him indoors in a reasonable sized venue

Woo Hoo - used my phone, took 2 minutes, might be a network issue with my work, but no worries now 2 x standing ready to go,
    Thanks Santa :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Ticket acquired, but I'm not even going to pretend I'm happy about the price.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

poundhound wrote: »

Out of comparison ,I noticed that standing tickets for his gig in Amsterdam are only 76 euro .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

The way I look at it is, Neil is unlikely to be still around in 10-15 years so I'd rather spend a bit extra to see him now than regret it in a few years!

Ridiculous prices though, and the Ticketbastard practice of charging the transaction fee PER TICKET is an absolutely disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

The promoters will be happy with your decision :)

Don't worry, they wont be in the long term.

I'm gonna be far more picky going forward.

The last 3 tickets I've bought have been U2 €198, David Gilmour €143 and Neil Young €103.

Enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Don't worry, they wont be in the long term.

I'm gonna be far more picky going forward.

The last 3 tickets I've bought have been U2 €198, David Gilmour €143 and Neil Young €103.

Enough is enough.

We are getting ripped off in this country across the board.
    Just as an example ,another veteran,Ennio Morricone tickets in the 3arena are 93-163 euro ,in Amsterdam its 38-96 euro ,so in effect the most expensive ticket there is around the same as the cheapest here.

I dont know what it is with Irish people, they will pay any price to be able to say they were at a live event.
    The likes of MCD then set prices as high as they can get away with, but the prices are creeping up too from an already high number. Eg Stone Roses and Neil Young both a tenner or more on top of 2013 prices

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

Quick look back at prices for last few Neil gigs going by my ticket stubs....

Malahide Castle 2008 - 81.25
    Marquee 2008 - 81.25
    02 2009 - 68.20
    RDS 2013 - 76
    Marquee 2014 - 76

All tickets above were standing tickets inc of booking fee.

edhead wrote: »

Marquee 2008 - 81.25
    02 2009 - 68.20
    RDS 2013 - 76
    Marquee 2014 - 76

3arena 2016 - 93
    They keep prices in line with boom bust patterns it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

mrk75 wrote: »
    Dates in Belfast (6 June) and Dublin (7 June) announced for 2016 - see Hot Press on-line (sorry, can't post link).

On sale Friday 18 December...

It's Belfast on the 7th June and Dublin on the 8th. I've got a ticket for Belfast :)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

edhead wrote: »

Marquee 2008 - 81.25
    02 2009 - 68.20
    RDS 2013 - 76
    Marquee 2014 - 76

Zardoz wrote: »
    Out of comparison ,I noticed that standing tickets for his gig in Amsterdam are only 76 euro .

I really enjoyed the Malahide 2008 gig, I thought the 25 minute version of No Hidden Path was excellent.

I wonder, is the Amsterdam gig a bigger venue? Could it be that it's more expensive here due to Belfast and Dublin being smaller venues than Amsterdam?

(I guess this theory may not apply in all instances considering the 2014 Cork Marquee gig was the same price as outdoor in the RDS a year earlier, either that or maybe he charged a higher fee in 2014 compared to 2013!:)

I just wonder does he have the same fee for each of the different shows?

(I guess we'll never get an answer to that one!:))

Maybe tickets are priced depending on the capacity of the venue, the fee charged by him and the costs to the promoter?

Or are tickets for expensive here, because they factor into the ticket price, the cost of shipping over stage equipment?

• Advertisement

Or are tickets for expensive here, because they factor into the ticket price, the cost of shipping over stage equipment?

I'd imagine that's the biggest reason. Touring Europe by road is much cheaper than flying/boating to Ireland.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Penfailed wrote: »
    I'd imagine that's the biggest reason. Touring Europe by road is much cheaper than flying/boating to Ireland.

I'd say you're right.

I remember when Paul McCartney played in the RDS in May 2003, many people spoke of the tickets for his gigs in Europe being cheaper than in Dublin.

There are still many, many bands, that don't play here, but tour in the UK and Europe, and I guess the cost is a deterrent, unfortunately.

I guess also, because we have such a smaller population, compared to other areas in Europe and the UK, in which those bands tour, promoters here, may feel that many of those bands would not draw a big enough crowd in Ireland?

I wonder though, is the cost of traveling to Irish gigs and hotels always on the band, or does it ever occur that the cost of a band's travel and accommodation gets paid for by the promoter?

As I understand it, bands and/or their management can control ticket prices, in that they can lower ticket prices, for example if the Neil Young Dublin gig was the same price as in Amsterdam.

But if bands do this, I think, ultimately, they still expect the promoter to make up the difference, to ensure the band gets its fee for playing the gig.

So, if that did happen, and the promoters here ended up losing some money in this way, perhaps they would be less likely to bring those bands back, again and again?

Not long now. I've been looking at setlist.fm...it should prove to be a bit of a greatest hits set :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

just got a standing ticket as an early birthday present. Delighted and cant wait

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Cannot fúcking wait!

Would be very surprised if we got the same setlists he played in the US though. Hope I'm wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

anyone know what time he'll be on stage at?
    thanks

The 2016 European tour starts in Glasgow on Sunday night (5/6/16), so Id check setlist fm on Monday for an indication of what the set for Dublin will look like.

Earlier this year, he opened a show in the states with a 40min version of "Down by the river"?!

I asked the sound engineer after the 2014 Live at the Marquee show, was the keyboards hovering above the stage specifically for "Like a hurricane" and he answered yes. I then queried why he didnt play it and was told "Neil plays whatever he wants, whenever he wants". Fair enough says I.

Wednesday will be my 11th Neil Young show. Cant wait.

Wednesday will be my 11th Neil Young show. Cant wait.

Wow. I bet you've seen some variety!

Only just into Greendale. For some reason I never really listened to it. Incredible. Carmichael and Granpas Interview. What tuneage.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

Yeah, looking forward to it. US gigs got cracking reviews. Seems he's been dipping into the back catalogue and playing stuff he hasn't played in years like Revolution Blues.

Got the Monsanto Years album but haven't had a chance to give it a spin yet. Must do that before next week.

• Advertisement

Over the last couple of weeks I've listened to his entire back catalogue chronologically from start to finish. Really enjoyed it.

Advertisement