Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neil Young - Ireland 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

The Nal wrote: »
    Over the last couple of weeks I've listened to his entire back catalogue chronologically from start to finish. Really enjoyed it.

Favorite era and album ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

mrk75 wrote: »

Got the Monsanto Years album but haven't had a chance to give it a spin yet. Must do that before next week.

Its a surprisingly great album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

@ The Nal: Re Wow. I bet you've seen some variety!

I remember seeing him do Greendale solo in Vicar St.
    Surrounded by dozens of acoustic guitars and candles.

A couple of weeks later, I seen him perform the same album with Crazy Horse in Madison Square Garden, complete with actors.

Same album, 2 completely different interpretations.

By the way, I know the difference in venue is chalk and cheese, but the Vicar St ticket cost €102 and the MSG ticket was $35.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

s8n wrote: »
    Favorite era and album ??

The Ditch Trilogy, always been my favourite albums/era but the late 80s/mid 90s run from This Notes For You to Sleeps With Angels is superb and probably the biggest revelation to me. 4-5 really good albums in a row. I had only really ever listened to Freedom and Ragged Glory.

Especially nice after the mid 80s disasters that are Landing on Water and Life.

poundhound wrote: »
    @ The Nal: Re Wow. I bet you've seen some variety!

I remember seeing him do Greendale solo in Vicar St.
    Surrounded by dozens of acoustic guitars and candles.

A couple of weeks later, I seen him perform the same album with Crazy Horse in Madison Square Garden, complete with actors.

Same album, 2 completely different interpretations.

By the way, I know the difference in venue is chalk and cheese, but the Vicar St ticket cost €102 and the MSG ticket was $35.

Cool! Yeah, clearly remember looking at the price and ruling it out. I wasnt a big Neil fan at the time outside of the obvious stuff.

Such a great album though. Reminds me of Watertown by Frank Sinatra. Another misunderstood and underrated gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

s8n wrote: »
    mrk75 wrote: »

Got the Monsanto Years album but haven't had a chance to give it a spin yet. Must do that before next week.

Its a surprisingly great album.
    Heard good things about it, yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

The Nal wrote: »
    The Ditch Trilogy, always been my favourite albums/era but the late 80s/mid 90s run from This Notes For You to Sleeps With Angels is superb and probably the biggest revelation to me. 4-5 really good albums in a row. I had only really ever listened to Freedom and Ragged Glory.

Especially nice after the mid 80s disasters that are Landing on Water and Life.

Sleeps with Angels is a great record. Change Your Mind and Blue Eden are particularly great. Would love to see him resurrect Change Your Mind with this new band.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Anybody know the stage times for this one?
    I wanna avoid the setlist talk that's sure to flood this thread tommorow night!

Can't wait for this gig, should be nothing short of incredible! Finally a venue where the sound won't be a disaster!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Anybody know the stage times for this one?

Belfast stage times -
    Doors 1830
    Laura Marling 1930
    Neil Young 2020
    Curfew 2300
    All times are approximate & subject to change

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I wanna avoid the setlist talk that's sure to flood this thread tommorow night!

Don't click this link - http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/neil-young-promise-of-the-real/2016/the-sse-hydro-glasgow-scotland-3bfec4c0.html :cool:

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Serious set, wish I was going. Enjoy the gig!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Thanks for not posting the setlist!
    I always prefer to be surprised on the night.

Cannot wait for this one!!!

Belfast was amazing! He played for almost three hours :D

Penfailed wrote: »
    Belfast was amazing! He played for almost three hours :D
    Sure was. Incredible show. He really seems to be invigorated by playing with the young guys from Promise of the Real.

Such a fantastic set list spanning the early days to the Monsanto Years album - acoustic, electric, the lot.

The man's a bona fide legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Thats it!!
    My underpants strap has just snapped through sheer excitement!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

TM just emailed with new times:
    Doors: 6.30pm
    Laura Marling: 7.20pm
    Neil Young: 8.10pm Sharp

Looking forward to the Doors, thought they might be higher on the bill than Laura Marling though

poundhound wrote: »
    Thats it!!
    My underpants strap has just snapped through sheer excitement!
    The elastic and the damage done...?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

TM just emailed with new times:
    Doors: 6.30pm
    Laura Marling: 7.20pm
    Neil Young: 8.10pm Sharp

Looking forward to the Doors, thought they might be higher on the bill than Laura Marling though

Morrison and Manzarek are dead though so they have a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

3arena 2016 - 93
    They keep prices in line with boom bust patterns it seems

My God, you're right, the prices shown do follow the boom/bust/back to boom pattern!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,078 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Heading in to it now. I like to get there early to sample the burgers and hotdogs. :)

• Advertisement

Just home now. Great gig. My favourite was the first half. I love the softer acoustic sound. He lost me towards the end. Still has a great voice at 70 years of age

• Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭furiousox

Fantastic gig!
    He came on at 8.35 and finished at 11.00.
    So many highlights, Alabama, Love To Burn (mind blowing), Out on the Weekend (sublime), Needle & The Damage Done, Comes A Time etc etc.
    There were a few extended jams but they were mostly interesting rather than boring (I could watch NY strangle that Les Paul all night!)
    A great band with a great chemistry, you could tell they enjoyed playing together and seeing where the music brought them.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

again for me the first half was brilliant. Out on the weekend was my highlight. I think he played 'rocking in the free world' to spite some of the drunken lads calling for it early doors and proceeded to rock it.
    Only buzz kill for me was the bass player with his head wrecking fred durnst baseball cap wearing bull****, couldn't get it out of my head despite the band being brilliant.
    Great gig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Really enjoyed that. It was a kind of overview of Neil Young's career from the acoustic start to the Crazy Horse style shredding. I liked the middle part a lot (Bad Fog of Loneliness, Winterlong, Alabama).

The band were really into it and you can tell he's invigorated playing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That was a savage gig!!

image.png

One of the best gigs I've attended, and the best Neil gig I've been to.

A dream setlist. Needle, Alabama, Winterlong, Love To Burn, Ohio, Out On The Weekend, Country Home, F**kin Up, Heart Of Gold, Mother Earth, and a few I can't even remember!

A fantastic night. Is Promise of the Real the best band that Neil has played with? Can't be far off. They've energised him in a big way!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Couldn't have asked for a better set list, better than Belfast. Think it's the best I've ever seen him.

Couldn't have asked for a better set list, better than Belfast. Think it's the best I've ever seen him.

Yep best I've seen him play anyway. The band are so good, and the sound in the venue was absolutely fantastic. Belfast setlist was great (Words, Down By The River) but tonight's was better I think. First time he's played Love To Burn with Promise of the Real, far as I know. Rare to hear Ohio as well!

Sounds like a great night. Still think Belfast got the better set-list (more songs too) but I'm biased, having been to that one...:)

Yeah, definitely the band really lifts him and probably takes a little pressure off too with the extra guitarist taking the odd lead. Not that there seemed to be any let-up in Neil's energy levels or capacity to rock out all night.

Any up and coming band should be sat down at a NY gig to see how it should be done. From acoustic classics to electric wig-outs, he does the lot and with such passion and commitment..

Loved how the band were so into it as well. The bass player and one of the Nelsons were up on the drum riser together jamming at one point the other night and just really getting into it.

Have to concur that it was probably the best I've seen him too over 20 years or so of seeing him off an on.

• Advertisement

again for me the first half was brilliant. Out on the weekend was my highlight. I think he played 'rocking in the free world' to spite some of the drunken lads calling for it early doors and proceeded to rock it.
    Only buzz kill for me was the bass player with his head wrecking fred durnst baseball cap wearing bull****, couldn't get it out of my head despite the band being brilliant.
    Great gig

Only in Ireland would the crowd ask for an electric song during the quiet part of the gig.

Advertisement