Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neil Young - Ireland 2016

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Holy sh1t what a gig. Loved it all. Love and Only Love was epic stuff.

So many highlights, Ohio, Alabama, Fcukin Up and Someday was beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭loadwire

Great gig. Ohio and Winterlong were great. Country Home was the highlight for me, loved it.

not sure if I'd say it's the best I've seen him but it's up there alright. His last gig at the point in 09 was brilliant too.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

mrk75 wrote: »
    Sounds like a great night. Still think Belfast got the better set-list (more songs too) but I'm biased, having been to that one...:)

Yeah, definitely the band really lifts him and probably takes a little pressure off too with the extra guitarist taking the odd lead. Not that there seemed to be any let-up in Neil's energy levels or capacity to rock out all night.

Any up and coming band should be sat down at a NY gig to see how it should be done. From acoustic classics to electric wig-outs, he does the lot and with such passion and commitment..

Loved how the band were so into it as well. The bass player and one of the Nelsons were up on the drum riser together jamming at one point the other night and just really getting into it.

Have to concur that it was probably the best I've seen him too over 20 years or so of seeing him off an on.
    Fantastic Gig... its great that he has now started opening up the the setlists (i.e., not doing the same set thought the whole European tour). I think there were were at least 11 different songs in the Dublin gig to the Belfast gig. The (backing?) POTR band were excellent, their spirit and exuberence really came through... I thought the bass player nodding and hopping away really added to the energy to the event. I thought the 2009 gig was excellent, as was this. Highlight - loads - including Alabama, Ohio, Winterlong... also loved the long jams... interesting that you say this is best you've seen Him over the 20 years... some compliment.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

By my reckoning that was 2.5 hour Dublin gig... how long was the 24 song Belfast gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

As stated in a previous post, last night was my 11th Neil Young gig and another killer.

Some real surprises in there, the extended "Love to Burn" and "Ohio" were standouts as indeed was the brilliant "Winterlong".

He mixed it up nicely with the opening 40 min acoustic set.
    There's something magical about his acoustic guitar and harmonica playing.

The man has a back catalogue few musicians can match, and although we did get "Heart of Gold" and "Rocking in the free world" last night, I still find it curious that he has live knockouts like "Hey Hey, My My", "Like a Hurricane", and "Cortez the Killer" and tends not to use them, at least not in the same setlist.

Promise of the Real are like a younger version of Crazy Horse. Musically they go wherever Neil Leads them and as previous posts stated he does seem to feed off their energy.

There are rumours that at 70 years of age, this could be Neil Young's last European tour. But the energy displayed last night should dispel those rumours.

I doubt Paul McCartney is looking forward to following him at the Cochella gigs in October?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

Goreme wrote: »
    By my reckoning that was 2.5 hour Dublin gig... how long was the 24 song Belfast gig?
    About 3 hours, I think. 8.30 to 11.30..ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Loved every second of that gig. Would've stayed for another 3 hours!

Yeah, three hours flew by. Just a pleasure and a privilege to be there - several goosebump moments as the classics were rolled out and that sound he gets out of "old black" rang around the arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

mrk75 wrote: »
    Yeah, three hours flew by. Just a pleasure and a privilege to be there - several goosebump moments as the classics were rolled out and that sound he gets out of "old black" rang around the arena.

Watching Neil wrestling with Old Black is still one of the great sights in music. Long may he live! Hopefully this isn't the last European Tour for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ljy9fn7qwhgasx

Marvellous performance; an absolute privilege to be there.

Was anyone else fuming at the amount of talking during the quieter songs?

People had to work hard to pay for last night's ticket and having to listen to two beery muppets' irrelevant banter during masterpieces like 'From Hank To Hendrix' was a bitter pill to swallow.

• Advertisement

Marvellous performance; an absolute privilege to be there.

People had to work hard to pay for last night's ticket and having to listen to two beery muppets' irrelevant banter during masterpieces like 'From Hank To Hendrix' was a bitter pill to swallow.
    We were lucky to have seats in Belfast and it was nothing but reverential silence around us, thankfully.

Didn't hear much from the standing area either but there's always one or two muppets.

We did, however, get a good few people making their way out around 11 or so. Bonkers. I guess there's a cohort of folk there for the acoustic stuff who don't "get" the full-blown electric wig-outs and then there's those who are into the latter and blether on during the acoustic stuff....

Tis always the way at gigs but in fairness I thought last night was pretty good for that. Wasn't too much talking in the standing area. A fairly knowledgeable and accepting crowd. Much like 09. And not like Malahide where a lot of the crowd were big event whores who started chatting and moaning as soon as he started any electric song.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,078 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

This annoys me. He actually commented on the talking himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I thought it was a great night. I do think Belfast had a better setlist (would have loved to have heard Walk On and Mansion On The Hill) but I won't complain. Considering his age, he still has an amazing amount of energy too.

Where I was sitting there was a few people who kept talking, including one girl near me that was especially obnoxious throughout the whole night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭furiousox

Plenty of Neil Young t-shirts visible at the Bryan Ferry gig in the Olympia tonight!

CPL 593H

Suas11 wrote: »

Where I was sitting there was a few people who kept talking, including one girl near me that was especially obnoxious throughout the whole night.

Did nobody tell her to shut up?

furiousox wrote: »
    Plenty of Neil Young t-shirts visible at the Bryan Ferry gig in the Olympia tonight!

Bryan Ferry is a cúnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

^^^^Someones in rotten humour ^^^^

poundhound wrote: »
    ^^^^Someones in rotten humour ^^^^

The person who was at Bryan Ferry? He'll do that yeah.

The Nal wrote: »
    Did nobody tell her to shut up?

No, unfortunately. Pretty sure she was wasted before she the gig even started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Goreme wrote: »

Belfast started between 8.35pm - 8.40pm, with two people walking onstage spreading seeds for a few minutes and then Neil Young started with After The Goldrush shortly before 8.40pm, and they finished just before 11.30pm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

From TheJournal.ie
    A TRAINED LIFE-saver had to swim into the River Liffey on Wednesday night in order to save a man who had gotten into difficulty in the water.
    Paul Downes was walking home from the Neil Young concert with his wife on Wednesday night when he noticed a commotion near the Liffey.
    About 300m from the arena people were on a jetty trying to assist a man who was semi-conscious in the water.
    “When I hit the jetty I could see the guy bobbing in the water,” Paul told TheJournal.ie.
    I could see by the way his body was positioned that he wasn’t going to be floating much longer.
    A life buoy was in place at the jetty but the rope had been taken from it – rendering it useless.
    An ambulance had been called and a lifeboat was on the way – Paul felt that they wouldn’t arrive in time before the man went under.
    He assessed the situation and felt that the only course of action was to go into the Liffey to rescue the man.
    Rescue
    “I made the conscious decision to go into the water,” he said.
    It’s not something I would ever recommend doing as it can be very dangerous.
    Paul stripped down to his underwear and entered the water.
    The man was about 20 feet from the jetty. Paul managed to get out to him and bring him back to the jetty – where a number of people helped them out.
    Paul said that the water was very cold – and that he felt the early indications of hypothermia from his short time in there.
    Gardaí and emergency arrived and took the man to the hospital. Paul was taken too for a precautionary check up.
    “I wouldn’t have gone into the water if there was any other option,” he said.
    It’s the first time I’ve ever gone into the water to rescue someone.
    Paul had a few scrapes on his knees and had to receive a tetanus shot after being in the water – but overall he said he’s in good health following the rescue.
    He is a member of the St John Ambulance humanitarian organisation that trains people in lifesaving and CPR.

I was completely unaware of that at all as I was heading home.

quickbeam wrote: »

Yeah 5 or 6 fire brigades, cop cars, ambulances all flying down North Wall Quay about 10 minutes after the gig. Didn't know what was going on until yesterday.
    Suas11 wrote: »
    No, unfortunately. Pretty sure she was wasted before she the gig even started.

I've zero tolerance for that these days. A chat here and there, fine. But incessant talking throughout gets a "here.... can I watch the gig please?" followed by a "hey, shut up....fcuks sake" from me.

And occasionally a "shut the fcuk up" if all else fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I've zero tolerance for that these days. A chat here and there, fine. But incessant talking throughout gets a "here.... can I watch the gig please?" followed by a "hey, shut up....fcuks sake" from me.

And occasionally a "shut the fcuk up" if all else fails.[/QUOTE]

At what point does a punch in the face become acceptable? Cause there's many a time I have been tempted. It just really grates me to the point that I start getting mad and focusing the talkers instead of enjoying the gig. I have come to the conclusion that for every gig I go, I just have this magnetic force that attracts all the talkers to my vicinity.

quickbeam wrote: »
    From TheJournal.ie

Fair play to him for helping out.

And occasionally a "shut the fcuk up" if all else fails.

Not just talking but she was also standing up and dancing while everyone else were sitting and blocking the view for some people.

At what point does a punch in the face become acceptable? Cause there's many a time I have been tempted. It just really grates me to the point that I start getting mad and focusing the talkers instead of enjoying the gig. I have come to the conclusion that for every gig I go, I just have this magnetic force that attracts all the talkers to my vicinity.

Saw Gaz Coombes in Whelans and there was a group behind us chatting for 2-3 songs. Quieter songs. Everyone was turning around looking at them, sshing them etc. Amazing how some people are blissfully unaware or simply just don't give a sh1t.

No punching but I did firmly say "hey, shut the fcuk up" to them. They gave me an astonished look, like I was the asshole.

They were fairly quiet after that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Saw Gaz Coombes in Whelans and there was a group behind us chatting for 2-3 songs. Quieter songs. Everyone was turning around looking at them, sshing them etc. Amazing how some people are blissfully unaware or simply just don't give a sh1t.

No punching but I did firmly say "hey, shut the fcuk up" to them. They gave me an astonished look, like I was the asshole.

They were fairly quiet after that though.

The same happened when Sly and Robbie played Whelans in December 2012 with Ernest Ranglin on guitar, and Robbie Lyn on keyboards, and people talked throughout the whole gig.

They probably own reggae albums that each member of the band plays on, as session musicians, and not even realise it's them playing on the album, and then when they have the chance to hear them playing live, they don't even have the respect to shut up talking while the guys are on stage.

Advertisement