Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Flatscreen _ Bargain??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

is there only 1 scart and hdmi connect on it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

LG make good tvs and this one is reasonably priced and well made

Is it good value?

Well, I bought a similar model LG 43LF590v about a month ago for about €430 and that model includes a hd satelite tuner built in (not advertised but it's there) and it was also the smart model which is pretty handy for netflix and youtube and sharing screens using WIDI

That model is currently €479 in Argos so it's something to consider

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3918845.htm?cmpid=COJUN&storeId=10152&_%24ja=tsid%3A30390%7Cprd%3A7701081&referredURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argos.ie%2Fstatic%2FProduct%2FpartNumber%2F3918845.htm&referrer=COJUN

One other thing, the tvhas a very wide footprint because there are two legs on the edges of the panel instead of one central stand, so if you're not wall mounting it, you might want to check to see if your tv stand can hold it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I bought that TV in Powercity last week - it's only €399 there and has a Satellite tuner built in (no mention of that in the Lidl ad). For some reason it seems to come and go on their website but there was loads of stock in all stores as of Friday. Only 1 year warranty though.

As for the TV, it's fine, good picture, decent sound, it looks good with the narrow silver bezel, surprisingly light (much lighter than the 32" LCD TV I was replacing). One thing to watch out for is the feet are very far apart so if you have a small TV stand/table this may be a problem. There are 2 HDMI ports, 1 scart, and 1 composite. It has headphone and optical outputs for sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭James Delaney

I think Its expensive for a NON-SMART TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Don't forget that Argos are doing an extra 10% off all TVs at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Can't see anything about a 3 year warranty for that set. Certainly not a bargain. An okay price for a non-smart, older model tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Akrasia wrote: »
    LG make good tvs and this one is reasonably priced and well made

Is it good value?

Well, I bought a similar model LG 43LF590v about a month ago for about €430 and that model includes a hd satelite tuner built in (not advertised but it's there) and it was also the smart model which is pretty handy for netflix and youtube and sharing screens using WIDI

That model is currently €479 in Argos so it's something to consider

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3918845.htm?cmpid=COJUN&storeId=10152&_%24ja=tsid%3A30390%7Cprd%3A7701081&referredURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argos.ie%2Fstatic%2FProduct%2FpartNumber%2F3918845.htm&referrer=COJUN

One other thing, the tvhas a very wide footprint because there are two legs on the edges of the panel instead of one central stand, so if you're not wall mounting it, you might want to check to see if your tv stand can hold it.

Just note if you mention TV10 at the till in Argos you'll get 10% off the above. So total €431

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

GY A1 wrote: »
    is there only 1 scart and hdmi connect on it

There seems to be 2 hdmi connections in spec.
    There is a review on the lg website that says it has satellite and record to usb on it, but no mention of it in specs, not even a mention of the dvb/t tuner.(edit- made a mistake with the model number, but re-checked and the usb record feature is on it. & wouldnt be surprised if it had other features too! (Very happy with my purchase of 42 inch smart 4k tv!)

Id say its not a bad buy at all! LG is quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think Its expensive for a NON-SMART TV.

Most people who own a Smart TV don't use the Smart part of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Soarer wrote: »
    Don't forget that Argos are doing an extra 10% off all TVs at the minute.

Are they?
    See no mention of it on their website.

Have you a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

It's in the scrolling banner ad at the top of the screen, doesn't give an expiry date. Have to pay at reg. til, not self-service, no expiry date on the offer either.

TV10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

There seems to be 2 hdmi connections in spec.
    There is a review on the lg website that says it has satellite and record to usb on it, but no mention of it in specs, not even a mention of the dvb/t tuner.(edit- made a mistake with the model number, but re-checked and the usb record feature is on it. & wouldnt be surprised if it had other features too! (Very happy with my purchase of 42 inch smart 4k tv!)

Id say its not a bad buy at all! LG is quality.

has it saorview

GY A1 wrote: »
    has it saorview

Yes - the version in Powercity has Saorview and Satellite tuners, and is cheaper (not clear if the Lidl TV is the exact same model. The Lidl TV is 42LF56; the Powercity TV is 42LF561V)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Do the Saorview and Satellite tuners combine into one long channel list or do you have to do that annoying thing where you have to switch between terrestrial and satellite modes?

Is there any way to record?

Does it have an EPG?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I bought a very similar LG for €399 in August and like it a lot.

If sound is your thing, you'll probably want a soundbar or similar. I would say the sound is functional, rather than exceptional.

I bought a flat piece of wood in Woodies to allow it to sit on my existing unit.

Thargor wrote: »
    Do the Saorview and Satellite tuners combine into one long channel list or do you have to do that annoying thing where you have to switch between terrestrial and satellite modes?

Is there any way to record?

Does it have an EPG?

Thanks.

Its a switcheroo type of thing. What you are talking about is a combi box, or a sky box that has a combined list of terrrestrial irish and satellite channels.

Dont know about the record, but I wouldnt be surprised if it did. Yes it does record
    DVR
    Recording
    Watch & Record
    External Input Record
    Scheduled Recording
    External Hard Drive
    External Input watch & record (DTV only)
    Yes (DTV only)
    Manual, According to broadcasting information
    From the techspecs http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-42LF561V

Im sure it would have the saorview epg, but only now and next for freeview, as on my lg tv(not the lidl modelwhich is lg561)

The freeview epg is supposed to be on its way with a software upgrade for LG satellite enabled tvs, according to LG and Freesat.

Dades wrote: »

If sound is your thing, you'll probably want a soundbar or similar. I would say the sound is functional, rather than exceptional.

I bought a flat piece of wood in Woodies to allow it to sit on my existing unit.

Yours didnt record did it? Did it have satellite?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yours didnt record did it? Did it have satellite?
    If I'm honest I plugged it straight into UPC and my Roku stick. Pretty sure it has no DVR functionality. I'm guessing Saorview works I haven't tried.

It's not "smart", but that's fine because my devices are.

The one I bought supposedly does have DVR functions, but I have it plugged into a Sky Box so have no need for this or the tuners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Francobegbie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

Dades wrote: »

I think adding a sound bar is almost compulsory as TV's get thinner & thinner, I bought a Panasonic a few months back, picture is excellent but the sound was like a cheap transistor radio on long wave

LG is back up on the Powercity website - still 399: http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-42LF561

Advertisement