Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB-C to HDMI cable - does this exist?

Options
  • 14-12-2015 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Hi

New dell XPS 13. i'm reading that the new thunderbolt 3 / USB-C connection is better/faster than the USB 3.0 ports.

Searching for a cable that will help me connect USB-C to HDMI on my TV. I know there are adaptors but can I buy a lead that will help me do this?

Thanks,
    MM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

USB is for copying data while HDMI is for outputting display so they have different purposes.

If you want to watch something on your tv from the laptop you need a mini display adapter to HDMI connection cable or adapter (for example http://www.netstoredirect.com/dell-cable-interface-gender-adapters/381154-dell-470-13627-5397063212910.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiA7rmzBRDezri2r6bz1qYBEiQAg-YEthSsuQYcXVQT4v24q8kzqB_wU0tUxOMp3thz0TMsmhMaAomW8P8HAQ).

If you want to copy a file to watch on the TV you need to copy it on to a USB key drive and plug that in to the TV.

Both of these statements and requirements are based on the fact that your TV has HDMI and USB ports (and the functionality to browse USB drives).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Actually no, you're slightly off there. While its not normal, MHL sends display signalling over a USB connector.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_High-Definition_Link

And here's the cable:

http://www.amazon.com/USB-C-1080p-Adapter-Cable-Phone/dp/B013YEE8S8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1450101006&sr=8-2&keywords=MHL+USB+C

But your XPS doesnt support it, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Yeah the new XPS 13 doesn't have a mini display port. I have 2 USB 3.0s and 1 USB-C (thunderbolt 3) which is also on the new macbook from what I've read.

TV does have HDMI so i'm good in that perspective.

Is my best option buying a USB-C to HDMI adapter and using a HDMI lead?
    Or buying a USB 3.0 to HDMI adapter and using a HDMI lead? Is there a 3.0 to HDMI lead?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I was confused by this question so I looked up the spec of the xps 13 on the dell website. They specifically state they sell a USB to hdmi adapter in the spec.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    I was confused by this question so I looked up the spec of the xps 13 on the dell website. They specifically state they sell a USB to hdmi adapter in the spec.

yeah i'm aware there is an adapter, many of them including 3rd party, i was looking for a cable (USB-C to HDMI) which may not exist.

Now i'd like to know, when buying an adapter, is it best to go with USB 3.0 or USB-C? (I can get both from dell) cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

yeah i'm aware there is an adapter, many of them including 3rd party, i was looking for a cable (USB-C to HDMI) which may not exist.

Now i'd like to know, when buying an adapter, is it best to go with USB 3.0 or USB-C? (I can get both from dell) cheers

The specs. for that laptop say that via an adapter, the USB-C port can support Ethernet, VGA and HDMI so go with the USB-C adapter.

The adapter is a three-in-one device which connects to the USB-C port and which gives you Ethernet, VGA and HDMI ports but it's 'Coming Soon' so not yet available. This is it ....

laptop-xps-13-9350-pdp-polaris-14.jpg

Scroll down to 'Ports and Slots' for the specs., then continue down to 'Mobile essential accessories for your XPS 13', the adapter you need is the device on the right ....

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-13-9350-laptop/pd

cheers, seems as if the laptop technology is way ahead of the accessories!

I think the above is on sale in the US but it has terrible reviews so i'll wait until this is on sale on their UK site with decent reviews before i pull the trigger.

Advertisement