Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Process when buying a bike from NI?

• 14-12-2015 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hey guys,

I went to see a bike up in the north and agreed with the current owner to buy it.
    I know I will have to pay the VRT but I am a bit confused with the documents stated there :
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/vrt-guide.html#section2e3

Especially :

"3. Invoice which must have the date of purchase/sale clearly indicated."

Should I write a paper myself and have the date and the man signature on it?

"6. Satisfactory evidence of the date of entry of a vehicle into the State is required. This can include shipping details, travel documents, SAD number or evidence of vehicle storage outside the State where the invoice is dated more than 30 days earlier than the date the vehicle is presented for registration. Where satisfactory evidence of the date the vehicle entered the State is not available, an additional charge may be raised by Revenue for the period from the invoice date to the date of registration."

What could this be as I am going North with a bus and riding the bike back?

From what I read on the internet, I should just get the V5 from the current owner (which he agreed to give me when I will take the bike).
    Any other document I should get from him?

Many thanks in advance for your reply!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

PlayerA wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I went to see a bike up in the north and agreed with the current owner to buy it.
    I know I will have to pay the VRT but I am a bit confused with the documents stated there :
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/vrt-guide.html#section2e3

Especially :

"3. Invoice which must have the date of purchase/sale clearly indicated."

Should I write a paper myself and have the date and the man signature on it?

"6. Satisfactory evidence of the date of entry of a vehicle into the State is required. This can include shipping details, travel documents, SAD number or evidence of vehicle storage outside the State where the invoice is dated more than 30 days earlier than the date the vehicle is presented for registration. Where satisfactory evidence of the date the vehicle entered the State is not available, an additional charge may be raised by Revenue for the period from the invoice date to the date of registration."

What could this be as I am going North with a bus and riding the bike back?

From what I read on the internet, I should just get the V5 from the current owner (which he agreed to give me when I will take the bike).
    Any other document I should get from him?

Many thanks in advance for your reply!
    Write the receipt and get the seller to sign and date it.
    Travel details get a receipt from the Toll and use that in conjunction with the bus ticket, its all you can do and the dated receipt should keep them happy.
    V5 is all you need but get all the paperwork you can old MOT certs, handbook etc etc.
    If its there get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

He does up a receipt of payment dates and and you can both sign it.

He fills out the export part of the V5 and sends that part (only) off to the DVLA. You are given the rest of the V5 document as the NCT centre will require that to VRT it.

You book into the NCT, you bring receipt and the V5 your license and payment fill out the documents they give you, they will do a quick once over confirm chassis and mileage and the bike matches your documentation.

Done! then you buy a new reg plate :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Just make sure his name in on the V5 cert and not the seller before hand, alot of them lads up there if they live on the border never change it over so VRT never paid and you will be liable for ALL duties on bike.

Remember also that ALL paperwork goes through Wales now for all of the UK and NI so it takes anywhere from 4-8 weeks. It took me 10 weeks to get mine sorted!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Just make sure his name in on the V5 cert and not the seller before hand, alot of them lads up there if they live on the border never change it over so VRT never paid and you will be liable for ALL duties on bike.

Remember also that ALL paperwork goes through Wales now for all of the UK and NI so it takes anywhere from 4-8 weeks. It took me 10 weeks to get mine sorted!!!!

Just the good auld boys.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Got my car from NI so I know all about the curse that is VRT :(
    PS; is there a difference in the paperwork between importing from NI, and the rest of the UK?

• Advertisement

LordSutch wrote: »
    Got my car from NI so I know all about the curse that is VRT :(
    PS; is there a difference in the paperwork between importing from NI, and the rest of the UK?
    No. the process is the same but the dated receipt is more important because of the lack of ferry tickets etc.
    If the registration date is more than 30 days from the date of sale then they will look for evidence of storage, for cars anyway.

They are very strict now, even rang the seller before the lad I had bought the bike off to enquire about the bike (milage etc) I mean WTF.....Then agin the miles where very low for the year of bike when I bought it to be fair.

They are very strict now, even rang the seller before the lad I had bought the bike off to enquire about the bike (milage etc) I mean WTF.....Then agin the miles where very low for the year of bike when I bought it to be fair.
    Thats a good thing, at least they are trying to monitor mileages and hopefully it will lead to less clocking.

I didnt mind all the security checks but 10 weeks ffs......

• Registered Users Posts: 39 PlayerA

Thanks a lot guys, great stuff I was confused with the receipt part.
    The man did agree to give me the V5 so no problem with that.

The bike is low mileage for the year (k6 750, 11k miles) as well but look as clean as the mileage says.
    it was cold but started first time, engine warming up fine. Played with the gas, no problem, but I didnt drive it.

The man does not seem to know much about mechanic though which first put me a bit off as he is the 3rd owner within 11k miles (he had even mounted the passenger pegs on the wrong side after removing the sit cover to take his gf for a spin, he didnt realise until he was told!) , he was able to provide information about consumables and the service done but only repeating what the garage told him when he brought it for service in July.

The pound is expensive and adding the VRT + the tax + the reg plate, I am not making the best bargain of the year, but the bike matches exactly what i have been looking for.
    On the plus side, If i compare to the French Market (where im from and where i could find that model/color/mileage), it is still cheaper :)

Anyway, I hope I won't have any surprise, I love the bike! and thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You don't send any paperwork to DVLA - you being the V5 with you. You only process V5 with DVLA if it's staying in NI or UK. All other sales and the V5 goes worth the vehicle.

Could have saved you 10 weeks there. .. :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    You don't send any paperwork to DVLA - you being the V5 with you. You only process V5 with DVLA if it's staying in NI or UK. All other sales and the V5 goes worth the vehicle.

Could have saved you 10 weeks there. .. :)

Nah, mine was not as straight forward as that....wish it was

just for further info, my insurance (CN) can insure for 14 days a bike on NI reg, if i still don't have the Irish reg by then I must ask for an extension.
    (also they are charging me 250eur to swipe bike under my policy :'( and there were no negotiation whatsoever after 10min telling them what I thought)

Rang CN today to get the insurance, talked to a different person than yesterday. The quote was under a "Kawasaki GSXR 750":confused:
    She requoted me and the price dropped by a 100 euros...
    And the Pound also dropped saving me another 100euros, which will go in the VRT.
    Getting the bike back here tomorrow! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Justa quick question on the current situation re buying privately in England.

In the past I've just paid,got the V5 and rode off towards Holyhead...now however,with no Tax Disc required and the rest,am I still able to do this legally ?

Anybody try this recently ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Not sure about bikes but I just bought a Car in the UK, I bought 1 day insurance from the RAC and then drove it back.
    The ANPR camera's on main roads and motorways will pick the plates up and if its not on the database it will be flagged, tax isn't a huge issue but insurance is much more so.
    I could have just changed over my Irish insurance but it won't be accessible to the UK police and with all the hassle I figured it was just easier to buy a days insurance before the day and have the car flagged as insured but untaxed.
    I did have a police car follow me for a while but they turned off and didn't pull me.
    Would you be able to get it delivered to the ferryport? lots of places will do this for small enough money now.
    https://www.bikesure.co.uk/short-term-motorcycle-insurance.php#

Advertisement