Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPS = Theives (Christmas ruined by UPS)

Options
  • 14-12-2015 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I just wanted to share this story with you all to warn you against ever using UPS for delivering parcels.

UPS - Deliver your Parcel? Sure we'll give it to someone random as a Christmas present.
    So, I had ordered some yummy goods for a substantial value, to be delivered by UPS. What happens?

On the delivery day: I sit waiting for the delivery, following the tracking details in case there is an update. Yes the update is: Your address doesn't exist.
    Mail UPS support and tell them, yes the address exists and is correct, and here is a contact number in case there is a problem.
    One day delayed delivery: Call UPS again to ensure it will be delivered and again give them contact details. Sit and wait for the parcel, follow tracking details, then get a notification this parcel has been delivered. Proof of delivery: signed by someone we have never heard of.

Call UPS again, who states the same information I already know, and told them I know, it's been delivered, signed for by someone. YES, BY SOMEONE WHO SHOULD NEVER EVEN HAVE SEEN THE PARCEL, SOMEONE COMPLETELY UNKNOWN TO US!
    Well they raise an escalation to the delivery depot, but I might not hear back today cause they close in 40 minutes.

Hello UPS, you gave MY parcel to someone completely unknown, SORT IT IMMEDIATELY!
    Well, they have a one hour SLA, so of course I don't hear anything back from them, I guess it'll be by 9:20AM Monday morning then (Next Working Day).
    Monday comes: Do I hear anything back from UPS? No! Called them again a few hours later and yes, they did have an update from the depot, not that he would tell me what the update actually said. Only that the only thing we could do was to "Launch an official investigation via the sender, the parcel is gone". Thank you UPS for wasting my time and money. I'm sure whomever received our food and treats for Christmas is happy, getting all that for free.

Unfortunately, this isn't the first time UPS has done exactly the same thing to me, though at least then we were able to retrieve the parcel after fighting with UPS for a while.
    My conclusion can only be this: UPS is utterly incompetent and can't even take responsibility to do the one thing they're in business to do: deliver parcels!

Edit: Got a response from UPS after posting this on their Facebook page as well. Apparently they've tried calling me twice with no answer and no voicemail. Then spoke to someone who stated they were not at the address, can you deliver to me at a different address.
    Are there no security or extra checks when delivered to an alternative, unconfirmed address?
    Have I given the wrong number? Of course not. Given both in writing by mail, and by phone (confirmed back to me correctly).
    So I can only say this: THEFT AIDED BY UPS!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Still not as bad as parcel2go. When you have to get the sheriff in the UK involved to get a refund of the shipping cost and replacement for a smashed aquarium thats left in your driveway even though you paid the optional extra insurance, come back to me

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You've no contract with UPS (unfortunately), so you need to deal with the sender, who does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ganelin

L1011 wrote: »
    You've no contract with UPS (unfortunately), so you need to deal with the sender, who does.

Obviously, And trust me, I am. Doesn't change how UPS behaves though.
    So I just suggest, don't use any delivery alternative involving UPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,367 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Are we allowed to call large multinational corporations thieves on Boards now? Excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭tritium

Never been a fan of ups since they tried to pull an 'attempted delivery, no-one home' while I was sitting in my living room having taken time oif for the delivery. After the van speed off without ever even trying to ring the doorbell I got in touch with them. Cue a very grumpy driver making a return call a half hour later, not the least embarrassed by his antics.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,367 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

tritium wrote: »
    Never been a fan of ups since they tried to pull an 'attempted delivery, no-one home' while I was sitting in my living room having taken time oif for the delivery. After the van speed off without ever even trying to ring the doorbell I got in touch with them. Cue a very grumpy driver making a return call a half hour later, not the least embarrassed by his antics.....

I genuinely don't get why delivery drivers do this..and I've heard it often enough now to believe it must happen. Costs them more time than anything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭LeBash

Contact the seller. It's up to them to get it to you. At the end of the day you are a nobody to UPS. The sender however has an account and is most likely a decent sized client. They won't upset them. Tell the seller you do not want it after Christmas. That way they will refund the money, lose the goods and the sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I stopped using UPS once I found out it was common for them to leave parcels on doorsteps without collecting a signature. I sent just over $500 worth of collectibles to the US not too long ago. Fully insured, but that wouldn't have mattered as there were some rare pieces in the package I sent that just couldn't be replaced. I was checking the tracking updates frequently, until I saw it was Delivered. The signature of the person who signed for it? "AT FRONT DOOR".

This was around 9am in the US - I faced a very anxious wait to hear from the buyer to make sure he got it as you read these stories about people driving around neighbourhoods looking for these packages on doorsteps to steal. Luckily the buyer got it, but I was raging that I signed up for a "signature on delivery" service and they pull this crap. Apparently they do it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

They all acting the same! DHL, TNT, UPS etc...
    Just dropping off parcels, caring about nothing.
    I really do not understand why companies using them to deliver goods??? They damaging reputance of online shops!
    Leaving parcels with neighbours your not even speaking with.
    Leaving parcels just in lobbys of apartments unattended

The only solution to this cr*p services is to use parcel motel - where PARCEL WILL WAIT for you, not opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Collie D wrote: »
    I genuinely don't get why delivery drivers do this..and I've heard it often enough now to believe it must happen. Costs them more time than anything

There's one driver around my way, can't remember what company he's with so I won't make a guess, but it's one of those franchise places, who drops the box over the side gate when nobody answers packages that don't require signatures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

Sorry to hear your Christmas has been ruined, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

In the last 7 days:

GLS leave a large parcel with a neighbour I don't know at all. He rang the bell once while I was in the bathroom, then I go out to him and say "hey, you have a package for me?" He smiled and said "it's next door buddy" and walked off without offering to get it for me.

UPS claimed our package (iTunes gift cards) were delivered...they weren't. Had to contact Apple to cancel them and get a refund.

Why do I bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Get parcels the whole time in work from DHL and find them excellent, the driver (usually same guy) is dead sound and very conscientious about us receiving parcels, even if not there we have an arrangement whereby they pop them in next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

road_high wrote: »
    Get parcels the whole time in work from DHL and find them excellent, the driver (usually same guy) is dead sound and very conscientious about us receiving parcels, even if not there we have an arrangement whereby they pop them in next door.

I wouldn't be surprised if Couriers acted a bit differently when dealing with businesses and consumers. We have collections daily and they know well we can just switch to someone else whenever we want so they probably butter up the businesses a bit whereas with deliveries to the public they know that the person the delivery is to likely didn't book it so they aren't as pushed to make the service look as good. Maybe maybe not who knows but much like yourself I have never had bad service from the business end of things whereas from the consumer end of things it seems to be non-stop nightmare!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 BattleReady

esforum wrote: »
    Still not as bad as parcel2go. When you have to get the sheriff in the UK involved to get a refund of the shipping cost and replacement for a smashed aquarium thats left in your driveway even though you paid the optional extra insurance, come back to me

Try the guys at parceldirect ie, based in Ireland and always at the end of the phone. They have helped us out twice with claims

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

I had a large courier company (not ups) put a package into my green recycling bin! We found a scrawled note in the letterbox but, nobody saw it until the following morning.

The package got picked up by and crushed by a bin truck.

That also had my "signature" in block capitals. I never signed anything!

Total joke. I did get a refund from the rather horrified shipper though.

I regularly get packages left on the step in the rain too.

Best one was a piece of gym equipment. They put it round the back of my house and it wasn't noticed for two weeks and was completely destroyed by the rain.

I actually think ComReg needs to regulate these companies for performance and standards. This kind of thing isn't good enough.

Are you guys in Cork by any chance? Had the exact same thing happen before Christmas!

A notification the it was delivered and signed for, was able to see the notification change and called immediately "Can't check until driver returns"

Next day, while standing at front door, notification changes to no one present to receive (no van) . Again call and driver "returns" in 20 minutes.

Is there a driver and depot operator doing a scam, hiding it in the Christmas chaos???

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

xband wrote: »

I actually think ComReg needs to regulate these companies for performance and standards. This kind of thing isn't good enough.

Comreg is the communications regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

colm_mcm wrote: »

And in a lot of cases is as useful as a chocolate teapot:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭8mv

I used to have a delivery franchise an I cannot understand people addressing packages to their residence and then taking a day off to "wait in" for it. Can you not have it delivered to your workplace? Or the workplace of a family member? I used to own a delivery franchise and I never came across any business that objected to taking in personal packages. In my current job I'm the first point of contact for the delivery companies and I encourage all my colleagues to have their personal packages delivered to the work address - everybody gets their stuff on time and the couriers don't get their heads wrecked trying to decipher home addresses. (I used to deliver around Ennis and at least two or three times a year I'd get a parcel with an unfamiliar Ennis address and find that it should have been addressed to Enniscorthy or Enniskillen - and they would still expect it to be delivered that day!) Have some patience with the delivery guy - he or she has more that just your parcel on board and mistakes can be made with house addresses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Post is considered communications - https://www.comreg.ie/postal/regulation_of_an_post.521.html

Not sure theres any scope to regulate couriers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don't think goods delivery would be regarded as communications though.

8mv wrote: »
    I used to have a delivery franchise an I cannot understand people addressing packages to their residence and then taking a day off to "wait in" for it. Can you not have it delivered to your workplace? Or the workplace of a family member? I used to own a delivery franchise and I never came across any business that objected to taking in personal packages. In my current job I'm the first point of contact for the delivery companies and I encourage all my colleagues to have their personal packages delivered to the work address - everybody gets their stuff on time and the couriers don't get their heads wrecked trying to decipher home addresses. (I used to deliver around Ennis and at least two or three times a year I'd get a parcel with an unfamiliar Ennis address and find that it should have been addressed to Enniscorthy or Enniskillen - and they would still expect it to be delivered that day!) Have some patience with the delivery guy - he or she has more that just your parcel on board and mistakes can be made with house addresses.

My company doesn't like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Recently had a TNT driver call me to tell me he'd left my parcel with someone 15 miles away who said they knew me because he didn't have any other deliveries in my area that day.

Turned out he stopped someone in the street and asked about my address, they knew were it was because a relative of theirs worked for someone locally so the driver gave it to them on the street and asked them to get it to me. Luckily it got to me 5 days later after it had been through a few peoples hands.

Being a delivery driver is a tough job but seems that you have to be a cnut to do the work.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

In all honesty, the management in the likes of UPS, TNT, FedEx etc would be appalled at some of this behaviour, but they won't hear about it through boards. You need to contact your local depot and complain, and/or to the shipper if they are paying for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

It regulates An Post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

whiterebel wrote: »
    In all honesty, the management in the likes of UPS, TNT, FedEx etc would be appalled at some of this behaviour, but they won't hear about it through boards. You need to contact your local depot and complain, and/or to the shipper if they are paying for it.

My brother in law used to work for one of the major delivery companies and I can assure you that the management know exactly whats happening.

The guy that posted earlier about getting deliveries dropped off at work was just saying that because then the delivery drivers can get more work done in the day. In the time it takes to do one drop in a housing estate to an unknown address they can do 5 of more to business addresses they know.

Its all push push push to get more done in less time and at lower costs any fool knows someone who has more work than they can reasonably do is going to cut corners.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

my3cents wrote: »
    My brother in law used to work for one of the major delivery companies and I can assure you that the management know exactly whats happening.

The guy that posted earlier about getting deliveries dropped off at work was just saying that because then the delivery drivers can get more work done in the day. In the time it takes to do one drop in a housing estate to an unknown address they can do 5 of more to business addresses they know.

Its all push push push to get more done in less time and at lower costs any fool knows someone who has more work than they can reasonably do is going to cut corners.

I work very closely with most of the major couriers, and I can assure you that management would take a very dim view of leaving a parcel with someone 15 miles away. In some companies it is policy to fire drivers that leave the vehicles open, or leave keys in it for example. They spend money on security managers etc to ensure goods are delivered in good order, and to protect their reputations. Even looking at a sample across these forums, there seems to be a lot of people that complain here, but never contact the manager of the local office

Some deliveries are allowed to next door neighbours, some aren't. The biggest problem is residential addresses not being at home when they call, but giving an 8-10 hour window for deliveries/collections is ridiculous as well. DPD now send out a text to let you know within an hour of the delivery time which is a good idea.

Some places pay unbelievably low rates, which leads to the kind of shoddy service exhibited on this thread. If no-one says anything, though, its not going to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

andersat2 wrote: »
    They all acting the same! DHL, TNT, UPS etc...
    Just dropping off parcels, caring about nothing.
    I really do not understand why companies using them to deliver goods??? They damaging reputance of online shops!
    Leaving parcels with neighbours your not even speaking with.
    Leaving parcels just in lobbys of apartments unattended

The only solution to this cr*p services is to use parcel motel - where PARCEL WILL WAIT for you, not opposite.

I get a few deliveries each month, mostly DPD and Nightline, and they mostly good. Always get a text the night before and the phone if they cannot find the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Don't want to comment too much but a major player for the past 4 years have delivered each time to the wrong address . Up to 10 deliveries a year . They have an arrow in their logo if anyone is interested in cryptics .

Each time there is no notification of expected delvery and it turns up a week after delivery in the wrong address .

Kind of normal across the range.

On personal stuff I prefer parcel motel .
    They are the ronseal of deliveries . You get what it says on the tin .

Advertisement