Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Villa already too far gone?

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Who would have thought that the former owner of the Cleveland Browns would inflict similar failure upon Villa!

It will be odd that England's 2nd city & its environs may have no team in the EPL next season (depending on Wolverhampton promotion push)

West Brom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Wilberto wrote: »
    West Brom?

Sh*t.... yeah... forget them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

IMO Ellis was going the same way, he had the same disinterest in funding the club that Lerner has has post-O'Neill.

To be fair to Ellis, he recognised this and sold up. Badly need Lerner to succeed in doing the same even if it is going to be too late to avoid relegation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

As a seasoned follower of the Championship for many years I can say that this seasons standard is the poorest its been for a while and of course the standard has never been that great.

Villa will finish top 6 next season easy enough I think, and all depending on who their key personnel turn out to be could and probably should finish top 2.

obezyana wrote: »
    With Villa believing they are a big club imagine how massive a club they will think they are in the Championship. A mid table finish next year for em.

You could be right of course, but I'd be interested to know how many 2nd tier games you watch each week, so go on then how many is it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

CSF wrote: »
    IMO Ellis was going the same way, he had the same disinterest in funding the club that Lerner has has post-O'Neill.

To be fair to Ellis, he recognised this and sold up. Badly need Lerner to succeed in doing the same even if it is going to be too late to avoid relegation.

Fair enough, I would have just assumed that Ellis would have been far more conservative where money was concerned meaning that there would be no excessively large transfer fees paid out, or wage bill.

That said, I suppose the lack of substantial investment in that case would have probably caught up with ye in the end anyway, particularly this season when every other team seemed to strengthen significantly (apart from Sunderland, of course :D).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I think Villa are gone and the problem may be that this is the worst year to go down because of the new TV money next year. It will possibly make keeping hold of our few decent players and coming back up even harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

You could be right of course, but I'd be interested to know how many 2nd tier games you watch each week, so go on then how many is it?

Right so how shall I prove how many games I watch or is that not just a stupid question from you. I could say I watch loads or I could say I watch none and I'm just having a blind guess so either way it don't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Villa are gone, and there's no chance of them coming straight back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Villa are gone, and there's no chance of them coming straight back up.

There clearly is a chance. You don't even know who will be in the squad or who the manager will be. What a stupid thing to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Villa have an excellent youth set up though don't they? Could be a glimmer of hope in that if they can bring through a few next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

cson wrote: »
    Villa have an excellent youth set up though don't they? Could be a glimmer of hope in that if they can bring through a few next year.

In terms of potential it seems mostly, very few have come through in the last few years and those that have come through, even though being rated, were let go. See Daniel Johnson at Preston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

CSF wrote: »
    There clearly is a chance. You don't even know who will be in the squad or who the manager will be. What a stupid thing to say.

We'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Buddy of mine was expecting Villa to push Derbys record for lowest points total (11) close this year.

TBH, I doubt it, Derby had 1 win, 8 draws and 29 losses, but after 20 games though their record was W1 D4 L15.

Villas current record is W1 D5 L14.

I still expect Villa to tack on more points but theyre running that Derby record close at the moment.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Buddy of mine was expecting Villa to push Derbys record for lowest points total (11) close this year.

TBH, I doubt it, Derby had 1 win, 8 draws and 29 losses, but after 20 games though their record was W1 D4 L15.

Villas current record is W1 D5 L14.

I still expect Villa to tack on more points but theyre running that Derby record close at the moment.

4 points from 18 games to avoid it, should be doable.

EDIT: What's funny is Derby had a -69 goal difference, Villa's at the moment is only -21.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The issue for Villa now is the motivation of the players.

Robbie Savage, on R5L, was discussing his time with Derby when they got relegated and was saying that as a player you get used to losing and despite any talk of tactics etc you go out hoping to avoid a big loss rather than to win.

He also said that some players would start to look to their future, getting a new PL team etc, and this would involve trying to avoid getting injured. Not consciously but the 50/50 balls too often are weakly tackled.

You play with fear. Fear of being injured, fear of being boo'd by the fans. Fine that the team are being boo'd but you don't want to be the guy at fault. Rather than spur you on to try things this makes you retreat and take the easy option.

Another factor is that a team like Chelsea were clearly underperforming. A new manager could well be the catalyst to get them going. I doubt anybody thinks that this Villa team has some higher level.

TL:DR - Basically once it becomes clear you are gone their really is little hope of anybody turning it around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

cson wrote: »

Jack Grealish for example ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Jack Grealish for example ....
    Where's my popcorn?
    ;)

obezyana wrote: »
    Right so how shall I prove how many games I watch or is that not just a stupid question from you. I could say I watch loads or I could say I watch none and I'm just having a blind guess so either way it don't matter.

So as I suspected you're clueless about the championship. I didn't ask you to prove anything all I did was ask you a simple question based on a post you made. It's the way a forum works.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Please quit the childish bickering, gentlemen, last few posts now deleted and cards will be issued if it continues.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    The issue for Villa now is the motivation of the players.

Robbie Savage, on R5L, was discussing his time with Derby when they got relegated and was saying that as a player you get used to losing and despite any talk of tactics etc you go out hoping to avoid a big loss rather than to win.

He also said that some players would start to look to their future, getting a new PL team etc, and this would involve trying to avoid getting injured. Not consciously but the 50/50 balls too often are weakly tackled.

You play with fear. Fear of being injured, fear of being boo'd by the fans. Fine that the team are being boo'd but you don't want to be the guy at fault. Rather than spur you on to try things this makes you retreat and take the easy option.

Another factor is that a team like Chelsea were clearly underperforming. A new manager could well be the catalyst to get them going. I doubt anybody thinks that this Villa team has some higher level.

TL:DR - Basically once it becomes clear you are gone their really is little hope of anybody turning it around.

A rare moment of actually interesting insight from Savage

Advertisement