Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty laptop

Options
  • 14-12-2015 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Its an old topic but today ending 2015 i have faced terrible customer service at Fonthill Clondalkin shop myself. Two weeks ago i got a laptop from this power city which is faulty and have cpu based problems i know as myself IT engineer and system as well application event logs shows all the problems. I shown this to the manager of power city shown him logs asked him to give money back or to replace it with the new one. My wish was refused that idiot told me he has to inspect by the way that pc is fully upgradable to win 10 quick look on laptop manufacture forum shown that this laptop has no issue with win 10 so it was upgraded to win 10 , manager of power city not being it person decided that some pc's have problems with win 10 and he has to inspect pc. I understand what he want to say as myself IT professional i know mostly every issue related upgrades to win 10 and its software based problems not hardware, i told him its a hardware problems and he didn't listen to me at all. he took pc for inspection. The one i know he will downgrade pc to 8.1( factory reset he will play around with it and going to give it back to me with all the problems. Problems are: pc freezes hangs up shuts down , no overheat issues tested, so you can play with it a few hours and it will be ok but later you want to run skype and you get all the problems.
    I paid money, i have no laptop, it will be given back to me faulty ( i believe :D ) so tell me how i have to fight them. Never had similar issues with currys or pc world or maplin or whatever.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Retailers are entitled to attempt a repair. My experience is that if its returned again to Powercity, there is no fight - they'll replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭andrius.k

but tell me why i have to have repaired, new device i paid lots of money and i as expect to have device that works what doesn't have to be repaired to its taken form me i have no laptop i got to do my works who is going to compensate me all this. They should give me new one instead of trying to fix it and the faulty one to send back to manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Mod: posts split out to new thread.

andrius.k wrote: »
    but tell me why i have to have repaired,

Irish consumer legislation allows it.
    who is going to compensate me all this

Nobody.

ok Irish consumer legislation allows to fool customers? I paid big money i have no device device is faulty and i can do nothing???

• Advertisement

ok Irish consumer legislation allows to fool customers? I paid big money i have no device device is faulty and i can do nothing???

You are entitled to the retailers choice of a repair, replacement or refund. If the repair doesn't work they can't go again - it has to be replacement of refund.

That's it. There's no fooling customers - this has been the law for years.

but its not right, i got it for work paid money and have no device cant work its not right

ok then how long they can keep the device for repair? as i need device for work so what i have to go to buy other one now???? It just not right

ok then how long they can keep the device for repair? as i need device for work so what i have to go to buy other one now???? It just not right

There is no defined time for repair. It needs to be reasonable, nothing more.. Less than two weeks from purchase, with the time you had it yourself, is still reasonable basically. There's nothing "not right" here.

If you need a device for work, don't buy it in a consumer retailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

You don't have to go buy another. You can choose to, but most people can manage without one for a week or two.

They can take a 'reasonable' amount of time to repair. Reasonable is not specificed as a certain length of time in the law, but about two weeks would generally be considered reasonable

• Advertisement

ok that the answer dont buy anything form Power City anytime.

ok that the answer dont buy anything form Power City anytime.

Then you shouldn't buy anything from anywhere because the law is the same whatever shop you buy from

but why i should manage week or too i i have paid money and got nothing faulty device i paid for new working without problems not for the faulty that has to be repaired.

tell me are you from Power City??? I told with my first post i never had the same problems with other shops never no matter how and what i have bought never had similar problems if device was faulty it was replaced or refunded, and by yourself law is against consumers?

but why i should manage week or too i i have paid money and got nothing faulty device i paid for new working without problems not for the faulty that has to be repaired.

Because the law says they can repair it.

If you don't like the law, petition to change it.

tell me are you from Power City??? I told with my first post i never had the same problems with other shops never no matter how and what i have bought never had similar problems if device was faulty it was replaced or refunded, and by yourself law is against consumers?

Please don't accuse me of working for them. I don't.

The law is not against customers. the law protects customers because if something is faulty, it must be remedied

Because that's the law

You moaning about it isn't going to change it.

If you have a pressing business need for a device, buy it from a business reseller with an NBD warranty. Not a consumer shop.

OP, your post says the shop have taken the laptop for inspection, they are fully entitled to do this (with your consent) in order to confirm if the problem exists and if it is due to a defect in the device (and not due to something you done). They don't have to automatically accept your diagnosis and they are entitled to examine the laptop for themselves before deciding how to deal with the problem.

Nothing in your post says the shop have insisted on giving only a repair or will refuse to give you a replacement/refund after the inspection.

Consumer law does not automatically grant you a refund or replacement so give the seller a chance to investigate the problem and propose a solution. Then if you can't agree a satisfactory settlement you can take a case against them in the Small Claims Court.

MOD: Just because you don't agree with the advice given doesn't mean they work for the business.

actually i didn't get any advise just info about law that doesn't respect consumer rights in some cases. I agree if id say i used it for half year and it broke down so i agree with repair with repair time and so on. But here is a new device and faulty an has to be sent out to manufacturer and new one given to me, that would be fair. Who told be to by fro work personal computer from business retailer??? are you joking i'm private person, no vat number no business registration no business retailer will sell me a laptop :D. I don't want to have "new repaired" one as repaired ones have problems in a future. So seems to be i'm f... up i got a lesson not to shop in Power City anymore. Thanks to everyone thinking and knowledge of law, respect . It just drives me crazy as it shouldn't be like this with new devices.

• Advertisement

actually i didn't get any advise just info about law that doesn't respect consumer rights in some cases.

Consumer rights are provided by this law - it is impossible for them to not respect them.
    Who told be to by fro work personal computer from business retailer??? are you joking i'm private person, no vat number no business registration no business retailer will sell me a laptop :D.

They all will.
    So seems to be i'm f... up i got a lesson not to shop in Power City anymore.

All consumer retailers operate under the same law and do basically the same. Nowhere gives you an instant replacement.

If the same fault comes back after repair, you will be entitled to a replacement or refund, so there isn't any problem if a repaired laptop has the issue again.

pc world gives instant replacement as i can deal with their technicians and provide fault logs and they advise for instant replacement or refund the same Maplins and some other shops. If it comes back with the same fault then they give me replacement but all this takes time and i have no time to play these games as no one has.
    L1011 no Dell no HP no Toshiba no Asus no MSI no one will sell laptop for business to privat person.

and we can stop talking about the same no reason i have my experience with faulty devices , computer parts and so on and i know how other shop deal with problems and how power city deal with problems, i just know what i'm not going to recommend Power City to anyone either myself not going to by from them anything.

pc world gives instant replacement as i can deal with their technicians and provide fault logs and they advise for instant replacement or refund the same Maplins and some other shops.

There is no chance PC World would replace a booting, non obviously faulting laptop immediately. A totally dead laptop perhaps but so would Powercity.

Maplin don't sell business laptops. I'm pretty certain they don't even sell new laptops, just refurbished second hand.
    L1011 no Dell no HP no Toshiba no Asus no MSI no one will sell laptop for business to privat person.

You clearly haven't even tried.

Dell sell business machines to anyone who wants them
    HP don't sell machines direct to anyone, but you can buy a business machine with a NBD warranty from Elara, HPShop, Dabs, etc, etc as a private individual
    Toshiba don't sell direct but you can buy a business machine with an NBD warranty from a number of resellers
    Asus are exactly the same
    MSI don't make business laptops - or even vaguely decent laptops.

You bought a consumer laptop in a consumer store so you have zero comeback or even a good argument for any compensation for lost productivity.

Next time you want a laptop for work, buy a business laptop from a business supplier. You will be able to - rattling off brand names where you're wrong on every one just shows you didn't try.

hey mister i know everything, im IT engineer i have replaced two laptops in Pc world instantly dealing with their IT personal showing then directly the problems those are not fixable by Pc World, the same scenario is now machine is nor fixable as fault goes from soldered cpu or faulty motherboard.

Maplin sell computer parts not laptops itself

hey mister i know everything, im IT engineer i have replaced two laptops in Pc world instantly dealing with their IT personal showing then directly the problems those are not fixable by Pc World, the same scenario is now machine is nor fixable as fault goes from soldered cpu or faulty motherboard.

If you've had three (at least) laptops fail in recent years, I'd be beginning to believe you're breaking them. I've had one fail in two decades.

Were they both failures that couldn't be proven quickly, like the Powercity one?

Anyway, you clearly don't know everything - considering you believe Dell won't sell you a business spec machine - and "IT engineer" isn't a protected title so can mean someone with a two week course certificate.

I've a BSc (Hons) and an MCITP if you want to get in to willy-waving about IT experience, though. That kind of attitude isn't going to get you good service in a shop, by the way.
    Maplin sell computer parts not laptops itself

They do sell laptops - refurb ones. You brought them up as an attempted comparison about laptop replacement.

Has everything you've ever bought been faulty or something?

• Advertisement

why i should have three faulty laptops , people are coming to me with their problems and i help them.
    I have ComPTIA A+ Network + Mcsa servers 2012 r2 MTA CCNA routing and switching is that enough for you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement