Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building PC checking everything works

Options
  • 14-12-2015 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

OK

All parts have arrived finally, PC is built.
    It boots to bios and Ubuntu live usb.

How do I test if everything is OK from a hardware returns perspective?

I just want a quick check the hardware is OK and doesn't have to be returned as I've not decided what OS to put on yet

I'm not great on Linux, so I'm hoping there's an easy built in tool to test i5 6600 processor, ddr4 ram, msi H170 mobo, sapphire r9 390 etc.

Would appreciate advice on best OS for new gaming PC too? I'm assuming win 10, but seems messy installation of win 7 first then upgrade etc. Also not sure what flavour either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

The fact it turned on speaks volumes to be honest xD
    The CPU is definitely working, but if you want to be sure, google Prime95 and test it using that for an hour or even 4 at stock settings.
    The RAM can be checked using memtest (google and watch a video on how to use).
    Run a game to check the Graphics card.
    Use this to monitor temperatures.
    http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭Nollog

Usually the test is that it turns on properly.

People usually do benchmarks then, like 3dmark etc.

Try http://www.howtogeek.com/111617/how-to-benchmark-your-linux-system-3-open-source-benchmarking-tools/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

You can always d/l and install Windows 10 and buy the key later. It just has an 'Activate Windows' watermark on the bottom-right of the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭€>sense

Thanks guys for advice.

Just used Ubuntu for a while, then took grindle's advice installed win 10 without a key. All sorts of normal things look fine. can monitor CPU temps and mobo temps, nothing over 45 degrees yet and that was only running a cpu stress tool that came with mobo.

No internet yet, as it has no wireless -grrr never checked that when ordering mobo - and can't plug it into router as its from Santa!! - so can't download benchmarking tools, but am pretty happy hardware is OK. ��

Btw does anyone know how to link case fan speed to Gpu temp on msi h170 mobo and sapphire r9 390?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Don't know about case fan but MSI Afterburner can be used to create a custom fan profile

• Advertisement

Thanks Digital for all the help

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

€>sense wrote: »
    Thanks guys for advice.

Just used Ubuntu for a while, then took grindle's advice installed win 10 without a key. All sorts of normal things look fine. can monitor CPU temps and mobo temps, nothing over 45 degrees yet and that was only running a cpu stress tool that came with mobo.

No internet yet, as it has no wireless -grrr never checked that when ordering mobo - and can't plug it into router as its from Santa!! - so can't download benchmarking tools, but am pretty happy hardware is OK. ��

Btw does anyone know how to link case fan speed to Gpu temp on msi h170 mobo and sapphire r9 390?

Nope. You'd need NZXT's Grid+ to link it with the GPU temperature. NZXT's accesories have been pretty ballin' recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

€>sense wrote: »
    No internet yet, as it has no wireless -grrr never checked that when ordering mobo - and can't plug it into router as its from Santa!!

You can plug your phone in via USB cable and give it a tethered connection through your data signal. Handy trick that most people don't seem to know about.

Ideally done with 4G and no data caps.

Doh! Zillah I've used usb tethering before and just forgot!

Eoinmc97 thanks, will give Grid+ a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

Phoronix has a Linux test suite.

• Advertisement
Advertisement