Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought new boots on Amazon, they arrived well worn

Options
  • 14-12-2015 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

More of a rant and a warning to others to be on the lookout. I ordered a pair of rocketdog boots in the Black Friday sale on Amazon. When they FINALLY arrived on Friday, I discovered that they have already been worn. A lot. There is mud caked on the sole threads and scuffs all around the edges of the soles :mad: I'm absolutely disgusted. I could understand if it was a warehouse deal etc but it wasn't. I bought these boots NEW and they sent out second hand ones instead. Rang their customer service who gave me the 'post them back and we'll refund' spiel but I wasn't satisfied with this so am waiting for them to investigate further. Probably when I do send them back, they will be sold on to some other unsuspecting fool. Ugh. This is the latest in a long line of issues I've had with Amazon recently, I will definitely be closing my account when this is sorted. Pity because I always found it a great place to shop up until last year :(

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If the boots were sold and shipped by Amazon they should be able to replace them for you, provided they are in stock. Any replacement will normally be received before you post the boots back as you have 30 days to return after they do a replacement order.

Just get onto amazon via chat and they should be able to help you out,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Yeah. Amazon are fairly good with returns. I have only every returned 2 items and each time its been hassle free. they even pay the postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Hopefully this won't turn out to be some kind of new hipster fashion thing like pre-worn jeans etc

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

Rang their customer service who gave me the 'post them back and we'll refund' spiel but I wasn't satisfied with this

They offered you a refund or replacement - and Amazon always pay the shipping on the return. So what's the problem? What do you want from them? How is this not satisfactory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

It's not satisfactory because they tried to pass off something that was very clearly used as new. I want an explanation as to how that might have happened in the first place. I'm not talking about boots that had simply been tried on, these things had a few weeks wear on them and anyone with a pair of eyes could see it. Amazon pay for the return shipping but I now have to go to the effort of getting to a post office (which is very difficult for me) and also I have to try and get to a shop to buy an alternative pair of boots because if I ordered some online now, I wouldn't receive them in time for when I need them. The ones I originally ordered from Amazon are no longer in stock. Defeats the whole purpose of convenient internet shopping in the first place.

Eta- Also, as I said already, this is the latest in a long line of problems I have had with them. I already had to send back an item that arrived completely broken 2 weeks ago, even though the surrounding packaging was fine. And a third item I ordered 3 weeks ago that was supposed to be delivered last week has gone awol. So I'm pretty tired of Amazon and their customer service team at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

It's not satisfactory because they tried to pass off something that was very clearly used as new. I want an explanation as to how that might have happened in the first place. I'm not talking about boots that had simply been tried on, these things had a few weeks wear on them and anyone with a pair of eyes could see it. Amazon pay for the return shipping but I now have to go to the effort of getting to a post office (which is very difficult for me) and also I have to try and get to a shop to buy an alternative pair of boots because if I ordered some online now, I wouldn't receive them in time for when I need them. The ones I originally ordered from Amazon are no longer in stock. Defeats the whole purpose of convenient internet shopping in the first place.

Eta- Also, as I said already, this is the latest in a long line of problems I have had with them. I already had to send back an item that arrived completely broken 2 weeks ago, even though the surrounding packaging was fine. And a third item I ordered 3 weeks ago that was supposed to be delivered last week has gone awol. So I'm pretty tired of Amazon and their customer service team at the moment.

It's not their the customer that returned them was an asshole.

In the end there was no cost to you so I don't see what else would be expected of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

Stokolan wrote: »
    they even pay the postage.

Do they? I'm not sure. Yes for faulty items.

How about if you just change your mind?

I've sent back items because of change of mind, but actually didn't check to see if they had charged postage .

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dohouch wrote: »

I've sent back items because of change of mind, but actually didn't check to see if they had charged postage .

This isn't a change of mind for the OP, they were sent the wrong item. In such a case Amazon will refund postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

There is no statutory entitlement to free returns for change of mind but Amazon UK do provide free returns for certain items under their 30 day returns policy.

OP, send the shoes back soon and get your refund/replacement. Internet buying is convenient but it's slow and a bit risky when you've an upcoming a deadline, especially if things go wrong or you simply don't like what you bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

OP,

not sure what you are trying to achieve by looking for an explanation as to why the boots were 'worn'.

You should just accept the replacement pair they will send you. Clearly they shouldnt have sent out a dirty worn pair, but even if you receive a detailed explanation as to why that may have happened, it's surely not going to get you any more satisfaction.

Chalk it down to these things sometimes happen.

The one time I had a problem with an item amazon sold, they sent out a replacement item without question and before I had even posted back the original.

I personally find their customer service to be excellent.
    These hiccups sometimes do happen, but it's not worth getting stressed over, particularly when you will more than likely have a replacement pair with you soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

To be fair to Amazon I have almost always found their customer service excellent. I've been shipped the wrong items and faulty items and they've replaced every time postage paid. I even mistakenly ordered two copies of the same book once in an order and when I contacted them to return it (I had been charged for the second copy) they actually told me to keep it and give it to a friend or a second hand bookshop! I have only ever had one issue not resolved 100% satisfactorily but that was a very minor issue on a relatively small purchase.

You're entitled to a replacement or a refund, which they've offered. You've 30 days to return them for free. Surely you'll pass a post office in that time?

I'm not sure what satisfaction you'll get with an explanation? Even if you get one it'll likely be made up! What id imagine happened is someone chanced their arm returning a used pair as new, they ended up back in the warehouse unchecked and when the next order (yours) was picked you got them.

Believe it or not they didn't set out to p!ss you off or deliberately annoy you.

Sounds like someone is looking for something extra...compo....free boots...credit...etc.

It's not satisfactory because they tried to pass off something that was very clearly used as new. I want an explanation as to how that might have happened in the first place.

It's called a mistake. Welcome to planet earth - they happen here all the time. It's probably a returned item that some underpaid jabroni at Amazon put back on the shelf as new.

They offered you a refund - they will pay the return shipping - take it and move on with your life.

No, not if you change your mind - that's not their fault. But I've returned faulty items and they covered the shipping. Their customer service is excellent. I find the live chat feature to be the best solution to access a real person, but not be on hold on a phone (plus you can copy & paste order #s etc).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/contact-us?ie=UTF8&nodeId=471044&ref_=hp_gt_comp_cu&

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Oh for goodness sake, no I am not looking for free boots or credit. I can't understand all the snarky comments. Is there really something so wrong with complaining about a service that has failed me on a number of occasions recently?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement