Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could someone please analyse this?

Options
  • 14-12-2015 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I apologise if this is arrogant to ask but could anyone analyse the specs of this computer and tell me if what it contains is good for the price?

Motherboard : ASROCK H61M-VG4

CPU : Intel® Core i7-3770 Processor, 3.9GHz TURBO, 3.4GHz BASE, quad core with 8 of threads, 8MB cache with LC-POWER COSMO COOL CPU Cooler

Memory : 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CORSAIR BALLISTIX SPORT

Storage : 180GB SSD INTEL 520 SERIES for OS + 1TB HITACHI ULTRASTAR for DATA

Graphics : ASUS AMD RADEON R9 290 4GB, GPU TWEAK, GDDR5, DIRECTX11.2

PSU : 750W ANTEC Semi Modular

Optical Drive : DVD BURNER

PRICE : €900

I know it's generally a rule to stay away from pre-built PCs but any opinion on this would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

R9 290 = about 250 (maybe generous, I'm thinking the 290X is worth about 250 to 300 secondhand)
    i7 3770 = 230 (maybe lower, i'm probably being a little generous here too)
    HDD + SSD = 100
    PSU = 50
    RAM = 45
    Motherboard = 50
    Case = 50 (probably)
    Optical drive = 10
    Windows = 20 (if reddit key, which it probably is)

The motherboard is the weakest part of this PC. It is pretty old and doesn't support USB3.0.

If you want to put down your requirements from the stickies we could throw together an alternative build.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Is this a new pc orore likely second hand?

Cpu is 3 years old and gpu is solid but recently an updated version is available.

I think you coulg get a newer cpu and gpu by building yourself. Fill out form and the lads will spec a system for you. Nothing to loose

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DukeAwesome

Thanks a lot lads, really appreciate the help. And its from an ad on adverts so I can only assume it's second hand however he has stated in ads for other computers he has sold, that some parts are new. Same could apply to this PC, I'll be sure to ask.

1. What is your budget? €900 Maximum

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming primarily ( Fallout 4, Battlefield, and a few other modern enough games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Unless anything can be taken from a laptop, no.

5. Do you need a monitor? No, my TV will have to do for now

5a. If yes, what size do you need.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? ---- I do plan to buy one eventually.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Keyboard, mouse and speakers but I should be able to find these cheap pretty easily myself.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? More than likely not.

8. How can you pay? Cash, bank transfer, laser.

9. When are you purchasing? Any time this month preferably.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The i7 is worth over 300 easy

I counted about €720 with my own rough value applied

i5 4460 €170
    H81M board €50
    8gb RAM €40
    500w PSU €60
    R9 390 €350
    250gb SSD €90
    1tb HDD €50
    Case €50
    Total €890

That's a new build for 900

Weaker CPU, not that it affects it
    Newer GPU
    Bigger SSD
    And warranties

i5 4460 €170
    H81M board €50
    8gb RAM €40
    500w PSU €60
    R9 390 €350
    250gb SSD €90
    1tb HDD €50
    Case €50
    Total €890

Newer GPU
    Bigger SSD
    And warranties

Thanks a lot for this Digital Solitude ! I will try stick close to what you made up there.

I've read people buying Windows 7 for around 20 euro. Is there a chance anyone could input on this? Is it a legit copy? Disc? If not, is it possible to install on a new Pc?

Thank you.

• Advertisement

Some say it's legal, some say it isn't so I'm not sure tbh. They're fairly hit and miss.

You can install Windows from a disc or USB and you just stick the key in during an install

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

i5 4460 €170
    H81M board €50
    8gb RAM €40
    500w PSU €60
    R9 390 €350
    250gb SSD €90
    1tb HDD €50
    Case €50
    Total €890

Newer GPU
    Bigger SSD
    And warranties

i sold an i7-3770 for 180 last year, only if someone is desperate for it 300 euro

Nevermind that then, would have thought it was worth more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If you sold on Ebay you will get a lot more than €200, older generation i7-2600's go for €200 on Ebay.

Realistically that's a pretty solid machine - and as with most sellers on adverts I'm sure he can be bargained down. If you could get him to deal at about €750 you could do a lot worse for your money, it would run all new games at ultra at 1080p.

Two things to question though - what case is it, and is it a reference model 290? They're very loud.

If you sold on Ebay you will get a lot more than €200, older generation i7-2600's go for €200 on Ebay.

Realistically that's a pretty solid machine - and as with most sellers on adverts I'm sure he can be bargained down. If you could get him to deal at about €750 you could do a lot worse for your money, it would run all new games at ultra at 1080p.

Two things to question though - what case is it, and is it a reference model 290? They're very loud.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

I'll try haggle him down a bit, if no budge then I'll just attempt to build my own :P . The case? This one exactly, based off the pictures shown anyway.

I'm unsure if the card is a reference model but the sound wouldn't be much of a problem to me, only thing I'd be worried about is the high temperatures the card rests at, from what I've heard from reviews.

And lastly whether the windows 7 ultimate is genuine or not :pac:

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

I made a build based off what Digital Solitude suggested. All from Mind Factory (minus the case and OS) and comes to a total of €950. Could someone please give me any feedback on this?

MindFactory
    CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 4x 3.20GHz - €180
    GPU: 8192MB Asus Radeon R9 390 Strix Gaming Direct CU III - €350
    RAM: 8GB ADATA Premier DDR3-1600 DIMM CL11 Dual Kit - €41
    PSU: 500 Watt be quiet! Pure Power L8 Non-Modular 80+ Bronze - €60
    HDD: 1TB Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003 64MB 3.5" - €46
    SDD: 250GB Samsung 850 Evo 2.5" (6.4cm) SATA 6Gb/s - €77
    Motherboard: ASRock B85M Pro4 Intel B85 So.1150 Dual - €62

Ebay
    Case: 65€

Adverts
    Windows 7 - €25

Coming to a total of €952.47 including shipping.

Can anyone point out any unnecessary choices or areas I could cheap out on?

Would someone be able to tell me if all parts are compatible with each other? Apologies for the ignorance :p Any help would be appreciated.

Parts are fine

Easiest way to save a few Euro is with the GPP

You can pick up a second hand 290 or 290X for about 250 or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Buy a case from Amazon and get free postage, that case is costing you 50% of its value in postage. It's not a good case either.

Thanks a lot lads, will definitely look into what yous said. Much appreciated.

Hey.

Will 500w be enough for my build? I used Coolermaster's PSU calculator and was getting results of around 510-515w. Granted I'm unsure how accurate that test it. Would it be better to play it safe at 530w? Or are my nerves just talking?

They overestimate it a but, go 550w if you'd prefer

Thanks Digital, will do.

Does anyone know the format for the address on Mindfactory.de to ensure it gets to me? Really odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Type of customer: *
    Title Mr. Mrs
    First given name: *
    Surname: *
    Postcode/City: * / *
    Street/Number: * / *
    E-mail address: *

grindle wrote: »
    Type of customer: *
    Title Mr. Mrs
    First given name: *
    Surname: *
    Postcode/City: * / *
    Street/Number: * / *
    E-mail address: *

Thank you, much appreciated. Just before I order. I've been reading about the R9 390 and people are saying I'll need a PSU of 700w+! And some laughing at the mere thought of trying to run it with a PSU of even 600W.

Can someone please input on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

550 would do it just fine.

But if you wanted, you could change PSU to something like this.

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/600-Watt-Corsair-CX-Series-Non-Modular-80--Bronze_814860.html

7 euro in the difference.

700w isn't necessary at all.

But if you really wanted to, get 750 and it's 24 euro difference compared to your current PSU choice

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/750-Watt-Corsair-CX-Series-Non-Modular-80--Bronze_808837.html

• Advertisement

550 would do it just fine.

But if you wanted, you could change PSU to something like this.

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/600-Watt-Corsair-CX-Series-Non-Modular-80--Bronze_814860.html

7 euro in the difference.

700w isn't necessary at all.

But if you really wanted to, get 750 and it's 24 euro difference compared to your current PSU choice

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/750-Watt-Corsair-CX-Series-Non-Modular-80--Bronze_808837.html

Thanks Royal Marine! I might just resort to get a GTX 970 instead due to lower power consumption. Any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

I have a gigabyte gtx 970 G1 gaming edition.

Absolutely love it. But honestly, the R9 390 seems to be more popular and more powerful.

If your planning 1080p for next few years go 970. If your going to go to 1440p in next few years get the 390.
    Both cards will murder 1080p and 390 is a powerful card with 8gb ram rather than 3.5 on 970. That said at 1080p you wont have that as a holdback.
    See which is cheaper and good luck with it

Thanks a lot guys for your input, I definitely have no plans to play in anything higher than 1080p, so I might settle for the 970.

Much appreciated!

See which card you can get the best deal on and good luck with it.
    Both great cards for 1080p

Advertisement