Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARE YOU a DESMOND born 1943 ?

Options
  • 14-12-2015 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all
    I am looking to trace all the DESMONDs born in Ireland in 1943.
    A crazy idea? Probably.

But this is the only way I can start helping a friend who believes that he was originally born DESMOND (possibly BYRNE) on 23rd Feb 1943 and adopted through the RGAS
    (Rotunda Girls Aid Society) from the baby home at 28 Rathfarnham Road, Dublin to a Mr & Mrs Byrne of Leinster Road, Ranelagh, Dublin.

As most adopted people searching know the original birth dates may be incorrect as a lot was done at the time to prevent people tracing each other.

So I appeal to ANYONE who is related to a DESMOND who is, or would have been, aged about 72 if still alive.
    Lets see if we can give and old (ish) man a very Happy New Year/ Easter/ Birthday etc I'm sure he wont mind which :-)

Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

First step- is a trip to the GRO's reading room- a day's research there- will give you every Desmond (or indeed any other surname) born in 1943.
    Honestly- its the fastest way to get a definitive list- you may get a couple of people replying here- but by going to the horse's mouth- you'll get the complete list.........

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

Is desmond a first name. try familysearch.org all BMD for ireland upto 1958

had a quick look on familysearch and 3 desmonds born to mothers with same maiden name in 1943.
    Desmond F lawless mother lawless jan/mar qtr 1943 dublin north
    Desmond j Kelly mother Kelly jan/mar qtr 1943 dublin north
    Desmond mccabe mother mccabe oct/ dec qtr dublin north this seems unlikely but just incase was a late reg

Kathy- I strongly suspect its the surname rather than first name that the OP has in mind (given their comment about the name possibly being Byrne etc).

sorry i must have read wrong. only one desmond/desmond birth in 1943 a augustine desmond j/s cork 1943

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Based on the comment in the Introduce Yourself thread I read it as Desmond being the forename.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Based on the comment in the Introduce Yourself thread I read it as Desmond being the forename.

You could very well be right- perhaps the OP could elaborate.

Also- if the OP could elaborate on whether their friend was officially adopted after the passing of the 1952 Act or not- as obviously this will determine their next course of action.

Advertisement