Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spice Mixes for Christmas Gifts

Options
  • 14-12-2015 5:44pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to make some spice mixes up for christmas presents. This family are coeliacs so I thought doing something that they could use to liven up their food.

Does anyone have any suggestions for nice ones they could use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

angeldaisy wrote: »
    I'm going to make some spice mixes up for christmas presents. This family are coeliacs so I thought doing something that they could use to liven up their food.

Does anyone have any suggestions for nice ones they could use?

Yeah, I often make Ras el Hanout to give as a gift, it's a Moroccan spice mix. There are as many versions out there as their are spices but after a bit of experimentation, this is my "perfected" version.

4 tsp coriander seeds
    3 tsp cumin seeds
    1 tsp fennel seeds
    1 tsp black peppercorns
    1 tsp cardamom seeds (not the whole pods, the seeds from inside)
    2 tsp turmeric
    2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    Pinch salt

1. Stick all the seeds and the peppercorns into a dry pan and toast over a high heat until they're just beginning to "pop". This will happen incredibly fast, so don't even attempt to leave the room or you'll burn the arse out of your pan and all your lovely spices.

2. Tip into a pestle & mortar and grind to powder. Add the powdered spices and the salt and mix well. Store in a clean glass jar in a cool, dry place, and it'll keep for a good three months before it starts to lose its potency.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

I've made a Cajun spice mix before:

2tbsp cayenne pepper
    1tbsp paprika (smoked)
    1 tsp garlic powder
    2 tsp salt
    1tbsp of black pepper and 1tbsp of white pepper
    1tbsp of cumin
    and 1tbsp of oregano

Advertisement