Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMELLS LIKE NIRVANA (New Years Eve Special) w/ Paradox & Screenreader

Options
  • 14-12-2015 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Smells like Nirvana – New Years Eve Special w/ Paradox & Screenreader

Cork based Alternative Rockers Paradox and Screenreader are back at the Crane Lane Theatre on Thursday December 31st playing a full set of Nirvana classics and more as part of a special New Years Eve bash. Doors are 8.30pm with the show kicking off at 9pm followed by DJ Fadd Jnr. and DJ Sé-K until late.

Paradox recently launched their 4th album to date titled ‘Chapters’ which has been gaining momentum since it’s release in January including national radio airplay on both 2fm and Today FM. Screenreader singer, guitarist Brian Casey has been responsible for all mixing and mastering of the new Paradox album at Wavefield Recording Studios in Bantry.
    Although both Paradox and Screenreader’s Brian Casey have varied their sound over the years their roots lie in the Grunge Era of the 90’s which all started with the music of Nirvana.
    Nirvana exploded into the mainstream in 1991 after the release of ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’ from their multi platinum album Nevermind. Ironically Nirvana kicked off their European Tour right here in Cork on August 20th 1991. The gig took place in Sir Henry’s, a venue which closed its doors for the final time in 2003, and was headlined by Sonic Youth. Nirvana were virtually unknown at this point but it was only a matter of weeks after this show that the band snowballed after the success of ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’ and became one of the world’s biggest bands, almost overnight.
    It has also been revealed that Kurt has direct roots from Cork as Kurt quoted himself ::
    “Actually it was Cobain, but the Coburns screwed it up when they came over . They came from Country Cork, which is a really weird coincidence, because when we toured Ireland, we played in Cork and the entire day I walked around in a daze. I’d never felt more spiritual in my life. It was the weirdest feeling and-I have a friend who was with me who could testify to this-I was almost in tears the whole day. Since that tour, which was about two years ago, I’ve had some sense that I was from Ireland.”
    Nirvana popularized a subgenre of alternative rock which was labeled Grunge. The band reached a whole new generation and defined a new age in popular music throughout the 90’s. Nirvana was considered the flagship band of Generation X, and frontman Cobain found himself reluctantly anointed by the media as the generation’s “spokesman. Although Nirvana‘s success and Kurt’s life was short lived they left behind a legacy of music, 3 full length studio albums, B-sides and much more. More recently with the release of Brett Morgens Kurt Cobain documentary ‘Montage of Heck’ and a home recording solo album to go with it Kurt’s iconic status continues to grow 20 plus years later.
    Join Cork bands Paradox and Screenreader on New Years Eve as they remember what was most important about Kurt Cobain and Nirvana. Both bands will be playing some Nirvana classics from Bleach, Nevermind, In Utero and many more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

I saw you play DeBarras, Clonakilty before and really enjoyed it. Any plans on doing a gig in Dublin?

Advertisement