Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Similar to a j1 I think !!

Options
  • 14-12-2015 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi all I was on a j1 visa in Chicago for the summer had to time of my life was to sad to leave the United States , while I was there I worked at a family run restraint I loved it their and all the staff were friendly . On my last day my manager said there would be a job for me next summer if I wished to return , he spoke about a visa that I could apply for I find it hard to explain but he said it's him voyaging for me as a us citizen ? So basically the visa allows me to work in the United States but it's not a j1 visa . I no this is probably really hard to understand but it's the best way of explaining it ! Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

The main work visa for employment in the US is the H1B visa. It is sponsored by your employer for 3 years but it is not easy to obtain. It costs the company roughly $10k in legal fees and at that you're still not guaranteed to get it. Your application is submitted before April and if you do get it, you have to wait until the following October to start work. You also need a degree which can be proved by the company that they can't find US work to fill the position (this is where the lawyers come in usually). And the position itself must be a high skilled position. There's plenty of information out there about the H1B, just try to stick to .gov sites for true details. Here's a good link to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Backpack20

I no what visa your talking about I don't think that's it .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

US employers are generally incredibly ignorant about US visas and immigration issues. Unless they have in house immigration attorneys on the payroll, they generally don't have a clue, about anything other than the summer J1. No offense to your former boss, but its sounds like he doesn't know what he is talking about. There is no visa, whereby he can "vouch" for you (I presume that is what you mean) as a US citizen, and you are thereby given a visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Long long ago there used to be a J2 visa that would allow you to work in the US for 3 months after a J1 but it required a job offer before you travelled. Perhaps this is the visa your boss is talking about? It might even still exist in some form.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

The rules for J1 visas have changed this year, now you need to have secured employment before you go over to the US. Could that be what your former employer was talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

If you're still a student you can just get another J1.

Advertisement