Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

S/PDIF (TOSLINK) splitter

• 14-12-2015 6:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭

So I bought a soundbar for my Samsung TV last week and had it plugged into the S/PDIF out. It sounded OK.

Then I realised I've been listening to a PCM signal and not getting the full Dolby 7.1 effect (the TV was only able to output PCM from the HDMI input). So I moved the optical cable to output from my PVR instead, put on a HD recording of "300" and was blown away by the surround-sound effect.

I now have the problem that my other devices are not playing through the soundbar and just using the TV speaker. I basically want the Dolby pleasure-fest among *all* devices plugged to my TV.

I have the following:
    - DVD/BluRay player
    - Xbox360
    - WiiU

QUESTION 1:
    The DVD player doesn't seem to have optical out, so I'm guessing I can still get Dolby by using an AV cable plugged between the soundbar and the player?

QUESTION 2:
    For the Xbox360/WiiU I want to use the optical out, so is it possible to get a splitter that will take inputs from the WiiU+Xbox+PVR and output to the soundbar? Will it automatically switch source based on whichever one is active?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

mrcheez wrote: »
    So I bought a soundbar for my Samsung TV last week and had it plugged into the S/PDIF out. It sounded OK.

Then I realised I've been listening to a PCM signal and not getting the full Dolby 7.1 effect (the TV was only able to output PCM from the HDMI input). So I moved the optical cable to output from my PVR instead, put on a HD recording of "300" and was blown away by the surround-sound effect.
    I now have the problem that my other devices are not playing through the soundbar and just using the TV speaker. I basically want the Dolby pleasure-fest among *all* devices plugged to my TV.

I have the following:
    - DVD/BluRay player
    - Xbox360
    - WiiU

QUESTION 1:
    The DVD player doesn't seem to have optical out, so I'm guessing I can still get Dolby by using an AV cable plugged between the soundbar and the player?

QUESTION 2:
    For the Xbox360/WiiU I want to use the optical out, so is it possible to get a splitter that will take inputs from the WiiU+Xbox+PVR and optical to the soundbar? Will it automatically switch source based on whichever one is active?

It wasn't 7.1 but more like dolby 5.1/dolby stereo . Domestic optical can't stream 7.1

A:No. Stereo is analog, not digital. Hdmi to TV and optical back is the only way. (without a converter and still only stereo )

B: Optical switch
    is what your after.

Lastly does your TV support bit steam... As this might help you with the tone of the TV.

Advertisement