Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disneyland Paris - Terrorist Attcaks

Options
  • 14-12-2015 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering what people think of this, I bought two tickets to visit the Disneland Paris parks (the tickets are valid for one year). However, I went to Paris the weekend of the attacks, and Disnland didn't open on any of the days I was there. So I wasn't able to use the tickets.

Anyway a few days after I arrived home I rang them and I was given an email address to contact regarding refunds, I got a reply today. I understood they would be slow replying after what happend.

Anyway this is the reply I got:

Thank you for your email concerning your recent booking and visit to Disneyland® Paris.

Firstly, I wish to apologize for the delay in reply. Sadly due to the tragic events that happened in Paris, our Theme Parks were closed from 14th to 17th November 2015. As a result of this we have experienced a significant increase in correspondences.

Regarding your purchase, please know that the ticket you purchased is valid for 1 year from the day following the date of purchase.

Therefore, as per the conditions of sale that apply to the Theme Park Ticket purchased, it is non refundable or exchangeable.

As such, we are unable to respond favorably to your request for a reimbursement of this ticket.

Yours
    sincerely

The Guest Communication Team

I'm not too familiar with French Consumer law, while they may be right in saying that it is a condition of sale that the tickets are non refundable, surely it was a condition of sale that the park would be open on the days advertised, and seeing as the park was closed the condition regarding refunds wouldn't apply.

Do I have a leg to stand on?

While I might go again to Disneyland within the year, I don't want to be tied down to going within the next year....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Their reply seems fair enough, as you still have your valid tickets. It's not like a cancelled concert or suchlike as you can still use them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Seems fair enough to me ... even in cases where the tickets were booked for a specific date, terrorism is usually a listed exclusion for cancellation refunds.

I mean there's nothing to stop anyone who's bought similar open tickets to get in touch and say they "intended" to use them on those dates, even if they didn't, and were just looking for a refund because they changed their minds.

It does suck, and it's a pity they won't refund (or extend the validity period) out of goodwill. But I wouldn't expect them to out of obligation.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Realistically, they would potentially be required to refund every outstanding voucher if they even closed for one day as a result of a fire or other mishap not of their making because everyone holding a voucher could claim that they travelled to Paris and were unable to use their vouchers.

I know the OP probably has proof that he booked flights etc. but I can see that he will get no satisfaction here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

FrStone wrote:
    I'm not too familiar with French Consumer law, while they may be right in saying that it is a condition of sale that the tickets are non refundable, surely it was a condition of sale that the park would be open on the days advertised, and seeing as the park was closed the condition regarding refunds wouldn't apply.

It's part of the terms and conditions that the park opening hours days may vary or change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

That's a bummer. Can you sell them on adverts or donedeal.ie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's part of the terms and conditions that the park opening hours days may vary or change

It's not actually stated in the conditions of sale that the opening days may change.

It does state something along the line if there is any substantial change that is caused by a force not controllable by Disney they will refund any monies paid.

Another interesting thing in the conditions of sale is that my contract is governed by Irish law, so I reckon I might just get my own solicitor to bang off a letter and see where I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭sundodger5

They are valid for a year. Just go again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Whatever about the legal position it seems mean spirited not to refund the tickets considering a) they took the decision to close the park and b) i'd guess at least 50% of the visitors travel to Disney from other countries so it is unrealistic that everyone can reuse their tickets. It's not like a cinema ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 bluetomato

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Whatever about the legal position it seems mean spirited not to refund the tickets considering a) they took the decision to close the park and b) i'd guess at least 50% of the visitors travel to Disney from other countries so it is unrealistic that everyone can reuse their tickets. It's not like a cinema ticket.

Completely agree with this.
    They said they closed in solidarity with the victims and were remaining closed for the 3 days national mourning. They didn't actually say they were closing because of a risk of terrorism. Of course they wouldn't say that because it would be bad for business but it does seem very unfair that they wouldn't refund the tickets.

Most people travelling to France aren't going to go twice in a year so are going to lose the value of the tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

OP try the Tripadvisor forum on Disney. it's very active with many knowledgeable posters with significant contacts there.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowForum-g2079053-i21935-Disneyland_Paris_Seine_et_Marne_Ile_de_France.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Went during the Summer to Alton Towers not long after the ride there went tits up. The whole park was closed there for a good while, and when it did re-open there was a section of the park still closed.

Anyone with tickets valid for either the closed period or the re-opened period with the closed section were offered full refunds, or allowed to use their tickets any other time.

It's not just park tickets, there is a whole holiday built around it. You obviously went away, so now you have to fork out for a whole holiday all over again! Doesn't seem very fair to me, and I'm surprised at Disney for not offering a refund.

The fact of the matter though is, they did not choose to close in solidarity. It was the government who shut down all public events, so even if Disney had of wanted to open, they were not allowed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Even if the tickets where for a solid date this sort of thing falls under frustration of contract, not much you can do OP. Do again or sell them on if you can seem good suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Could you claim on your travel insurance? The park wasn't closed for terrorism and that's the usual get out clause for insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭wandererz

OP, i was there with my wife a few months before.
    We ended up in a rainstorm during the day and hence most of the park closed.

Ended up in one of the bars for the afternoon while waiting for rain to clear, which it didn't. So lost out on loads of rides.
    Wouldn't have considered asking for a refund of the ticket.

In your case it's still usable and if not returning within the time period then sell it on to someone else.

Perhaps consider contacting your travel insurance company to see if they cover this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Just after getting a refund off them!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Good news. Can you let us know what made them change their mind?

Advertisement