Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non smartphone, good battery life with wifi?

Options
  • 14-12-2015 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Not a big fan of phones in general, so I'm not too clued in to what is considered good and bad these days.

I have an old iphone and the (replacement) battery is goosed so it's time for something new.

I'm wasting time on apps when I could be doing something more productive with my life, so I'm going to go for something that has email at least.

I'll get a small tablet for the app stuff.

From what I can see all non smartphones don't have wifi. Correct?

Good battery life would be a plus too.

I'm looking for a SIM free one, as I might be moving abroad in the new year, so could just pop any new sim card into the phone.

So, to sum up, email, wifi, and a semi decent battery. Am I asking for too much? Or for what I want, is a smartphone unavoidable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Buy an older blackberry, would be perfect for your use case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

ED E wrote: »
    Buy an older blackberry, would be perfect for your use case.

Thanks for the reply. Any particular model? I suppose if I buy an older model which is used I'm running the risk of not getting a great battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

seachto7 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Any particular model? I suppose if I buy an older model which is used I'm running the risk of not getting a great battery?

9900, or Q10/Classic is you want a new one but that is a smarphone.

Best BlackBerry for battery is the blackberry passport but that ons is expensive, for cheap blackberry look into bold 9900 or bold 9780

However, blackberry IS a smartphone, yes even the older ones.

Battery Wise:

1. BlackBerry Passport (amazing battery)
    2. BlackBerry Classic (really good!)
    3. BlackBerry Q10 (basicly a classic without trackpad and virtual buttons)
    4. BlackBerry 9900 (Good battery, smartphone, good to type on.. basicly an older Q10)
    5. BlackBerry 9780 (Best blackberry ever, dont use internet and you will get 4-5 days music playtime)
    6. BlackBerry 9700 (in case an 9780 costs too much).

Note: for every blackberry under Q10 you need special blackberry internet which offers encryption and compression, if you dont use internet you will be fine anyway.

Thanks for the reply! Email right now is probably the most important thing I'd need to be checking outside of calls/texts.

I'll look into those suggestions. As I said, I wouldn't really be into phones, so spending a lot on a great phone would be wasted on me.

At the same time, I have a spare really cheap phone, and it's clunky and difficult to use, but it's a spare, so is ok.

I'm going to go down the tablet route for apps etc, hence downgrading the phone.

Quite a few blackberry 9900 on adverts

Thanks for the reply! Email right now is probably the most important thing I'd need to be checking outside of calls/texts.

I'll look into those suggestions. As I said, I wouldn't really be into phones, so spending a lot on a great phone would be wasted on me.

At the same time, I have a spare really cheap phone, and it's clunky and difficult to use, but it's a spare, so is ok.

I'm going to go down the tablet route for apps etc, hence downgrading the phone.
    For BlackBerry related questions, ask me :)

Email on blackberry is fine, but you need BIS for everything lower thsn Q10.
    BlackBerry Q5 will be a cheap option also, if you dont need an expensive phone and no apps except email I will check for 9700 or 9780 instead

9700:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BlackBerry-Bold-9700-Black-Unlocked-Smartphone-Mobile-Phone-/281267417106?hash=item417cd83012:g:5IAAAOSw7aBVHSEa

9780:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BlackBerry-Bold-9780-Unlocked-Mobile-Phone-6-MONTH-WARRANTY-/221669051288?hash=item339c814b98:g:fcUAAOSwEK9T33cp

9900:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BlackBerry-Bold-9900-8GB-Black-Unlocked-Smartphone-MobilePhone-/321938574877?hash=item4af508ce1d:g:IZgAAOSwv-NWYKw4

9800:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BlackBerry-Torch-9800-black-Unlocked-4GB-mobilephone-/231264136093?hash=item35d86aab9d:g:btkAAOSwT4lWT1-U

Q5:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BlackBerry-Q5-8GB-Black-Unlocked-Smartphone-/221968841308?hash=item33ae5fba5c:g:2VEAAOSwxN5Wbwf3

Q10:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BlackBerry-Q10-16GB-Black-Unlocked-Smartphone-/201485599152?hash=item2ee97a41b0:g:6eUAAOSw5IJWcAbY

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be familiar with blackberry phones at all, bar knowing people who have had them, but I've never used one.

I wouldn't be familiar with blackberry phones at all, bar knowing people who have had them, but I've never used one.

Very simple to use :)

Cheers for the links. Stupid question but what is BIS?

Cheers for the links. Stupid question but what is BIS?

Not a stupid question at all! Bis is short for BlackBerry internet services.
    In some countries (like holland) you need to pay for those services

What you get

- Real push email
    - Encryption
    - Compression

People use BlackBerry's with BIS specially for travel because you use less data than other smartphones due the compression.

And people use them for the encryption part but that may not so be important to you

No, I wouldn't really be handling any sensitive information!

The price range of the Q10 wouldn't be too bad at all for me, based on the ebay links.

• Advertisement

No, I wouldn't really be handling any sensitive information!

The price range of the Q10 wouldn't be too bad at all for me, based on the ebay links.

Q10 is the best phone you can get tho, even as smartphone its awesome, I had the white one and Im actually thinking of getting one back as backup

I'm going to see what's available new out of curiosity out of the models posted above.

I see there are new 9720, and 9320 phones on adverts. Any good?

I'm on vodafone, but if I head away abroad, and want to slot in a new SIM card, I'm then looking for a network free phone correct?

I see there are new 9720, and 9320 phones on adverts. Any good?

I'm on vodafone, but if I head away abroad, and want to slot in a new SIM card, I'm then looking for a network free phone correct?

9320 is as fast as 9780 I think, its just newer.. I had it; totally fine phone :)

9720 is the better version of the 9320 as far as I know.
    9720 is the latest blackberry phone with an OS less than OS10 (like Q10) that was released

You should be looking for a unlocked phone yes

Advertisement