Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

svchost.exe being a dick.

Options
  • 14-12-2015 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sitting here with two Dell laptops. Did a fresh installation on both with the OEM discs (recovery partitions were borked), and svchost is using up all the memory on both of them.

I've run several anti-virus/malware programmes, and nothing seems to help.
    Ending the process only lasts for a few minutes.
    When I right click and go to services, a list of things come up.
    At first it's stuff to do with the network, and then it has to do with Windows update (among about 15 other things).

Any ideas?

ETA: Both 7 SP1. Two different discs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Windows 7 SP1 has something like 192 updates + IE updates and horrible fallible .Net updates.
    Makes a computer that isn't using an SSD fairly unusable for a day.

Downloading and running sysinternal process explorer
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

and ordering the list by process does a better job of separating out the services running under svchost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

ressem wrote: »
    Windows 7 SP1 has something like 192 updates + IE updates and horrible fallible .Net updates.
    Makes a computer that isn't using an SSD fairly unusable for a day.

Downloading and running sysinternal process explorer
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

and ordering the list by process does a better job of separating out the services running under svchost.

Recently took me about 5 hours updating a newly set up machine - 254 updates on an i3 with an SSD.....excluding manual reboots where .Net updates failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1. Install windows
    2. Enable auto updates
    3. Put a batch script in startup to reboot it every 2hrs
    4. Go watch some TV.

If you're having problems with Windows Update being a performance hog in Windows 7, install this update:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810

I've tried this on a few systems which were consuming over 4GB of memory when checking for updates. Worked a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭circadian

ED E wrote: »
    1. Install windows
    2. Enable auto updates
    3. Put a batch script in startup to reboot it every 2hrs
    4. Go watch some TV.

I usually do this until a .Net update inevitably wrecks it. Then I swear a lot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement