If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV, Stereo sound and surround sound system

Options
  • 14-12-2015 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

Hello, 

Just looking setting up the AV in my living room, first of all I would like to get a TV recommendation:

Would be looking at a 4K 40" tv, I currently have a 7 year old panasonic 32" LCD 1080p TV, for which I love the picture quality and it hasn't missed a beat! I'm not interested in smart features as the Apple TV 4th gen does that for me. Budget would be max 1000, so what would you recommend? 

As for the music and movie set up, what I was thinking to have would be a normal decent 2.0 stereo set up for music and then when I watch a movie, the extra 3.1 would then kick in. Is this possible?

Been looking a Denon receivers, and are quite impressed with them and they have airplay, bluetooth etc. 

To finish off, I would be looking into expanding to a multiroom system as well, are Denon recievers HEOS compatible? 

For the audio part, a budget of circa a 1000. 

Sorry for all the questions, but relatively new to AV scene, would like recommendations from you guys who use them and sell them and hope to purchase from ye! 

thanks for you help. 

Damian

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

damo86 wrote: »
    Hello, 

Just looking setting up the AV in my living room, first of all I would like to get a TV recommendation:

Would be looking at a 4K 40" tv, I currently have a 7 year old panasonic 32" LCD 1080p TV, for which I love the picture quality and it hasn't missed a beat! I'm not interested in smart features as the Apple TV 4th gen does that for me. Budget would be max 1000, so what would you recommend? 

As for the music and movie set up, what I was thinking to have would be a normal decent 2.0 stereo set up for music and then when I watch a movie, the extra 3.1 would then kick in. Is this possible?

Been looking a Denon receivers, and are quite impressed with them and they have airplay, bluetooth etc. 

To finish off, I would be looking into expanding to a multiroom system as well, are Denon recievers HEOS compatible? 

For the audio part, a budget of circa a 1000. 

Sorry for all the questions, but relatively new to AV scene, would like recommendations from you guys who use them and sell them and hope to purchase from ye! 

thanks for you help. 

Damian
    Hi Damo86, thanks for the post, and apologies for the delay in getting back to you

Firstly for the TV, the best model to go for under the €1000 mark if you could do a 43" is the Sony 43x8305 - http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201400-bravia-kd43x8305cbu.aspx at €929 - a stunning 43" 4k with Android platform, google play and google cast, and an impressive 900hz refresh rate - price includes delivery to ROI and our 6 year guarantee

On the music/movie set up, I would say you would be best sticking to Denon from your brief, they tend to be very good sounding for music as well as movies. you would run the music in 2 channel stereo, and then 5.1 for movies

The AVRX2200 -http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201492-avrx2200w.aspx at €699 comes with Denon Heos built in, so a very good choice if youre going down the Heos multiroom route (although you can add a Heos link as a source to basically any AV amp)

For the speakers, a decent satellite pack to try and keep around budget would be the Wharfedale DX1 - http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-11539-dx1-hcp.aspx at €399. it does take you over budget a bit but for sub-sat systems it would be worth the extra money to be honest. Ideally if music is quite a priority, you should look at a decent pair of floorstanders for the fronts, and a matching centre/rears, but this would push your budget up a bit more 

Have a look at the above first, and let me know your thoughts

Cheers
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Many thanks for the info, to this day, I'm still humming and hawing on what to get.

More looking at the simple sonos playbar set up now! 

Many thanks for the info, to this day, I'm still humming and hawing on what to get.

Thanks Damo,

A soundbar would be a good compromise, but you'll never get as good as sound for surround as you would with individual speakers

If you did want to go that route tho, have a look at the Denon |Heos soundbar - gives you the music streaming capability of the sonos, and comes as a package with the sub at £599/€749 - http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201491-homecinema.aspx?swapstore=1

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks Damo,

A soundbar would be a good compromise, but you'll never get as good as sound for surround as you would with individual speakers

If you did want to go that route tho, have a look at the Denon |Heos soundbar - gives you the music streaming capability of the sonos, and comes as a package with the sub at £599/€749 - http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201491-homecinema.aspx?swapstore=1

Cheers
    Brian
    I think sense has prevailed, I borrowed a mate's Sonos with sub and filled the room quite nicely and was very impressed. I don't want to start blasting out the neighbours! I will be adding the two Sonos 1's for good measure by the way. 

I haven't heard the HEOS but have heard good things about. Only thing putting me off is the APP, had a play with the demo and i feel it needs more work which is understandable being new etc and it doesn't support Apple Music :O . 

When I get the attic conversion done to set up my TV room, Im sure to get a proper 5.1 system! 

First of all, Ill get my new TV sorted! ;) 

thanks for help and will be in touch to go forward with this. 

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Thanks Damo,

Cheers
    Brian
    I think sense has prevailed, I borrowed a mate's Sonos with sub and filled the room quite nicely and was very impressed. I don't want to start blasting out the neighbours! I will be adding the two Sonos 1's for good measure by the way. 

I haven't heard the HEOS but have heard good things about. Only thing putting me off is the APP, had a play with the demo and i feel it needs more work which is understandable being new etc and it doesn't support Apple Music :O . 

When I get the attic conversion done to set up my TV room, Im sure to get a proper 5.1 system! 

First of all, Ill get my new TV sorted! ;) 

thanks for help and will be in touch to go forward with this. 
    Thanks for the post and yep Heos does not support Apple music, but the app is actually great and really simple - I actually use it at home myself over Sonos as the sound quality is so much better ( that's on the speakers and Amps, but the Heos Soundbar is actually radically better as its so much better value ( especially in €uro as its £599, but only €749 and the Heos INCLUDES the sound bar AND the Wireless subwoofer! ( and the Yoyo price includes delivery as well..

Keep us posted and when you are ready to order drop us a line and we will do our best to do you a Boardie package price ;)

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Cheers for the info, definitely food for thought. 

Hope somewhere in cork has a HEOS soundbar to demo. 

Ill be in touch, thanks

Damian

Cheers for the info, definitely food for thought. 

Hope somewhere in cork has a HEOS soundbar to demo. 

Ill be in touch, thanks

Damian
    Cheers Damian, I think you'll be well impressed with it

Brian

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.