Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big upgrade on PC,MB,PRO,RAM,SSD.

Options
  • 14-12-2015 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Looking for a new mother board, Processor and Ram and also a Hard drive and good SSD i have the rest. I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 so that has to work. Thanks

1. What is your budget? [€1000+]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming]
    Primarily gaming and recording gaming videos. I want to be able to play all of the new games, ideally at the highest settings possible.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]
    No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    G-Card its a, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970.

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]
    My monitor is fine for the moment.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    1920 x 1080. Yeah I'm open to getting a better monitor, especially if this one I have isnt up to the caliber of the PC. Currently use a 23inch HD TV as second monitor.
    Dell-s2309w-series

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? I'm open to the possibility but probably beyond my ability.

8. How can you pay? Debit/Credit Card

9. When are you purchasing? Soon. Once I'm satisfied that the money I'm spending isn't being poorly used.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based?
    I don't need any help building it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

What specs are you coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dampas

8GB RAM
    Intel Core i5-2500k CPU /w a good heatsink
    Asus mother board but its quite old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Upgrading the processor and motherboard won't give you any gaming boost, the 2500K is still a fast processor.

At 1080P, upgrading the GTX970 won't really show any improvement either.

By all means add an SSD though, that would make a major difference in day to day usage and game loading times.

You could use the money to get a nice 1440P monitor, or a 1080P G-Sync monitor (1440p g-sync monitors are very expensive).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Dampas wrote: »
    Looking for a new mother board, Processor and Ram and also a Hard drive and good SSD i have the rest. I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 so that has to work. Thanks
    can you pay? Debit/Credit Card

9. When are you purchasing? Soon. Once I'm satisfied that the money I'm spending isn't being poorly used.

from what you've said above . i agree with the lads here you wont see a massive difference in most games if you are reusing the GPU and to be fair its a good GPU . what games do you mostly play ?

as said maybe just add an SSD to your current system . it makes a very noticeable difference . and upgrade your monitor or keyboard and mouse . or even maybe get a good comfortable gaming chair ? if you wanted you could try overclocking your 2500k it not that hard to do . especially if you have a decent cooler

im thinking better monitor and a good SSD, iv been looking up some stuff but im not sure if my mother board has a place for an SSD or are they like normal Hard drives?? whats a good SSD?

I play League CSGO GTA and a lot of games like Dayz/Rust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

ya they use sata ports same as a normal hard drive . depends hopw much you want to spend, samsung are kind of the default top tier ssd , but Sandisk have great deals on some of their ssd's at the moment might be worth having a look .

what kind of fps are you currently getting in those games ?

40-60 depending on the game. Im blue screening quite a lot lately and sometime my computer just cant handle doing two things at once

Have you tested your RAM?

just tested it there and nothing detected

Run a memtest86+ get 12 or 16 hours, that sounds like a RAM issue

• Advertisement

Samsung 850 EVO series 1TB

thinking of this as an SSD? any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Samsung 850 EVO series 1TB

thinking of this as an SSD? any good?

Samsung SSDs are, IMHO, the benchmark. There are cheaper alternatives but the 8XX series has been awesome with some hiccups on the 840EVO.

I just bought an 850 Evo M.2 great drive. The 850EVO is the best drive in terms of not going bonkers for the pro or upgrading everything for the stupid performace of the 950 pro.

For your budget I'd buy 8 more gigs of RAM, another 970 and a kick ass monitor. The 2500K is still a fantastic CPU for gaming and will be for years.

Any Preferences for more ram? buy an extra 8 gb or buy completely new ram?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Any Preferences for more ram? buy an extra 8 gb or buy completely new ram?

I run 4x4GB only becuase I bought it years ago when there was that stupidly overclockable samsung green stuff floating about. I think I get 2000Mhz on CL9 1T (IIRC it's not overclocked at the moment). The only reason I was upgrade the RAM is it will allow the Samsung SSD to use the new version on RAPID which will use upto 4GB of RAM to cache the SSD making it stupidly fast. That said most of this is a number game and wont really do much for real world performance.

Also it will mean you can swap out your current RAM if there is an issue with it.

On the blue screens when was the last time you gave the PC a bloody good clean and when was the last time you did a fresh install of windows?

8gb RAM is loads, if its not broken there's no point replacing it

Advertisement