Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing tower

Options
  • 14-12-2015 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭

hi guys
    i have bought a new pc tower because my old one is too big
    is it an easy job or would i need expert help, i fairly competent when it comes to pc interiors
    What is the worst part of this job, any tips

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

did you build your last pc or will this be your first time . its fairly straight forward . i assume you have made sure your new tower is compatible with your motherboard (atx . micro atx ) etc and can hold your graphics card without issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

What is the worst part of this job, any tips

I hate the front panel connections to the mobo the most. Finicky little bastards and all packed tightly together.

Remember your stand-off screws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

did you build your last pc or will this be your first time . its fairly straight forward . i assume you have made sure your new tower is compatible with your motherboard (atx . micro atx ) etc and can hold your graphics card without issue ?

I helped a mate build my first PC, this was another self build that I bought last year but i just wanted a change,
    Ye the guy in maplins (very helpful shop btw) said it was compatable with my MB

Remember your stand-off screws.[/QUOTE]

?????

Remember your stand-off screws.

?????

Screws that go into the case and then the motherboard screws into those. Stops the motherboard from short-circuiting against the case.
    There are som rare cases which don't have these, they have their chassis moulded to raise the motherboard at (hopefully) the right spots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I helped a mate build my first PC, this was another self build that I bought last year but i just wanted a change,
    picard-facepalm-face-palm-590x330.jpg

Yeah, when I saw that I was imagining one of my grandads trying to give me relevant tech advice.
    They're both dead, so they're on the same tier of knowledge as a Maplin's worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

grindle wrote: »
    Screws that go into the case and then the motherboard screws into those. Stops the motherboard from short-circuiting against the case.
    There are som rare cases which don't have these, they have their chassis moulded to raise the motherboard at (hopefully) the right spots.

I have to put my hand up and admit my first self build I didn't put these in, but it worked for years with no related problems :o:D

Well if Maplins are not a good shop,
    Where would you guys recomend for tech stuff

Well if Maplins are not a good shop,
    Where would you guys recomend for tech stuff

For single bits? Amazon.

For a full build? One of the German sites (Mindfactory, alternate, ComputerUniverse).

For advice? Either here or on one of the PC-build subs on Reddit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Be aware that the ports on front can be USB2, whereas the ports on your mobo USB3. It'll fit... but be slower.

Some staff at Maplins can be good, it it's often a mixed bag. Maplins can be good for the cheap cases, though, if you're in a hurry. Otherwise, look online.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Cheap on the odd bit, then charge you €200 and your first child for an RCA to TRS adapter :pac:

Advertisement