Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay for New Years Eve Dinner Party ???

Options
  • 14-12-2015 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hiya ,

I got a text from a pal , inviting me to a new years eve dinner party in their house (max 10people going) .... And it was followed by "€50 per head with all food , drink, decorations included".

I'm slightly disgusted as ive had them for dinner on numerous occasions , and I'll also be having the the night before for dinner .....?!?!?

Am I wrong in thinking 50 blips for dinner in your pals house is wrong .....???

Thank

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Odelay

Say thanks but no thanks, hope ye have a good night. Problem sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Outrageous !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Potluck or everyone-makes-a-course and always bringing along wine for the host is ok by me. Paying friends for dinner (and to decorate their house!) wouldn't be something I'd like unless it was for a good reason, like we all fancied something expensive and rare and they were in a good position to get it or it was for charity.

V. entrepreneurial of them to figure out a way to make €500 for New Years!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm thinking charity fundraiser too.
    Should be stated, though.
    All very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭mapaca

I'd have no problem getting together in a group and all chipping in for a nice fancy dinner if it was all planned in advance, etc. But if you haven't discussed it beforehand and agreed that everyone will put money into a kitty to fund the dinner, then I think it's a bit presumptuous to ask for cash in the invitation. It would put me off, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Reply back saying your mates 'Dominos' and 'Off Licence' will do it for considerably less...

:pac:

As others have said, I'd hope it's for charity, but it doesn't sound like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

we'd have no problem setting a budget for a new year party with friends. split the cooking and shopping, agreeing on a menu...

oysters, foie gras, smoked salmon, main course, desert, etc.+ copious bottles of champagne and wine.

It makes complete sense to split the cost

But i do agree that just saying, come over, give us 50 and we'll sort it out is a bit bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Good God I'm actually blushing to my roots with embarrassment for them! That is just mortifying and not something I've ever heard of. I'd be declining the invite!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Merkin wrote: »
    Good God I'm actually blushing to my roots with embarrassment for them! That is just mortifying and not something I've ever heard of. I'd be declining the invite!

This could end up like the post in the Weddings Forum where, if I recall correctly, the bride wanted the wedding party to pay for their own meal......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

This could end up like the post in the Weddings Forum where, if I recall correctly, the bride wanted the wedding party to pay for their own meal......

I remember that thread well! It's certainly on a par for bare faced cheek! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I hosted Christmas dinner for friends last year as we're all abroad. Everyone chipped in about $15 each to cover all ingredients - including a large turkey. It probably cost an extra $50 on top of what everyone contributed, which I paid. But there were a couple of differences (perhaps) - 1. I was unemployed; 2. It was a case of "Will we all chip in to having Christmas dinner together?" situation, not a "You're invited! Tickets E50" situation, and 3. $15 is about E10 per person. E50 is daylight robbery!

I'd have absolutely no problem chipping in to cover the cost of ingredients for special occasion, especially if one person is doing all of the prep/cooking/cleaning, but I'd resent the kind of invitation you got.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 NOVICE-REFURB

I would just like to point out that it is a take away !!! Not a home cooked meal

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

€50 a head for takeaway??? Aw hell no! Seriously, unless it's being served with a bottle of Bollinger or something I'd be declining that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

I would just like to point out that it is a take away !!! Not a home cooked meal
    Classy friends

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Could you reply back and say that youd love to come but money is tight and youll bring your own food and drink? Or if hes a good friend maybe have a word with him and say that its a better idea to just invite everyone and make it clear that its byob and while some take away food will be ordered its a split bill scenario. He'll have to take the hit on the "decorations" but seriously, what sort of an adult is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

"All decorations included"?! Bizarre. Do people care that much about New Year's Eve decorations? Are your friends famous on Instagram or something where having/being photographed with such items have some kind of value? I would struggle to reach the €50 a head mark unless there's some seriously fancy champers involved, or your group are champion drinkers. Meal should be under €20 a head, booze another €10-15, so that's €15-€20 for the aforementioned "decorations"...?

I can understand asking people to kick in towards the party in some way (potluck food items, BYOB), but either this is taking the mickey or your friend isn't very good at maths.

Or am I just a cheapskate?

Either way, I'd be seeking alternative entertainment for my NYE, and replying to this with a polite but firm no.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Hiya ,

I got a text from a pal , inviting me to a new years eve dinner party in their house (max 10people going) .... And it was followed by "€50 per head with all food , drink, decorations included".

I'm slightly disgusted as ive had them for dinner on numerous occasions , and I'll also be having the the night before for dinner .....?!?!?

Am I wrong in thinking 50 blips for dinner in your pals house is wrong .....???

Thank

50 blips.... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

aha deliveroo strikes again... the crafty bugger

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Jesus wept. If it's a good friend have a chat with him and say that what he's suggesting is just ridiculous, but it's cool, and as you're buds, they'll understand if you don't go. If you aren't good friends, just decline and treat their future nights with skepticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

This person is clearly oblivious to how daft this is... Be a buddy and let them know would ya?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This reminds me of being in college many years ago. I had an American flatmate who decided to throw a huge Thanksgiving dinner. She insisted I invite all of my friends, who didn't know her at all, and a load of her friends were there too. After dinner, she pulled me aside and told me to collect ‎£10 from each of my friends to cover the cost of dinner :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Faith wrote: »
    This reminds me of being in college many years ago. I had an American flatmate who decided to throw a huge Thanksgiving dinner. She insisted I invite all of my friends, who didn't know her at all, and a load of her friends were there too. After dinner, she pulled me aside and told me to collect ‎£10 from each of my friends to cover the cost of dinner :eek:

Mortification!

OP, there's no way I'd pay €50 to go to someone's house for a takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

This is just plain wrong but the takeaway aspect takes it into the twilight zone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Thats embarrassing OP they could have phrased it a bit better, but 50 quid for a take away is a bit excessive. They would be better off doing a pot luck dinner where everybody who is going brings something to eat and drink. We've done this in work for staff lunches and its brilliant.
    If you are going to be paying that much you'd be better off going to a restaurant.

Advertisement