Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

30 kWh Leaf Slight Delay

• 14-12-2015 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭

I'm being reliably told that the "quality assurance release date" for the upcoming, 30 kWh Leaf has been pushed back till only today, making it slightly week later than planned, and that production dates for majority of already ordered Leafs are in the last week of Dec. Even though mine is still showing arrival in mid-Jan, I expect them to be delayed 2-3 weeks at least... Oh well, Santa's late this year.

Comments

It will be worth the wait, more range is always good + the faster charging at the fast charger for more range !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭Fastpud

Also got confirmation from a dealer that there is a delay however it should not be much more that a week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Funny enough I emailed Deansgrange today regarding delivery times this morning. Like others I was told mid January. In the return email, they've said they hope to get a delivery date for me in the coming days. Let's hope the delay isn't much coz I'm planning a trip from Dublin, Wales up to Scotland at the start of February

Been told my car has been delayed until the end of February the start of March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Been told my car has been delayed until the end of February the start of March.

What was your original date? How long is the delay?

• Advertisement

Rafal wrote: »
    What was your original date? How long is the delay?
    Like the rest mid January (rough date)I was told if I wanted, there was other colour coming in white, silver, red in January. My colour is coming in the second batch (bronze)

I'm also waiting for the bronze. :) Fingers crossed.

It will be worth the wait, I can't wait for the 60 Kwh !!!

It will be worth the wait, I can't wait for the 60 Kwh !!!

Likewise. I'm sure we'll upgrade also. Lets hope Nissan again give discounts..

After a year it wouldn't be worth upgrading to the 30 kwh and next year it will be too close to the 60 kwh coming out.

The 30 Kwh is of no benefit to me with the work charge point but the 60 Kwh would be worth it and if I'm still in the same job the work CP will charge the 60 kwh which will do most of my driving!

This is depending on whether the 60 Kwh doesn't cost mental money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭steelboots

After a year it wouldn't be worth upgrading to the 30 kwh and next year it will be too close to the 60 kwh coming out.

The 30 Kwh is of no benefit to me with the work charge point but the 60 Kwh would be worth it and if I'm still in the same job the work CP will charge the 60 kwh which will do most of my driving!

This is depending on whether the 60 Kwh doesn't cost mental money.

How much over and above the 24kwh would you be prepared to pay ? To be honest I wouldn't pay too much. Only thing is if a change of job could render the leaf unworkable if the distance was too great.

To be honest the 30 Kwh will ensure 140 odd kms and if I had to I could consider a top up at Newlands for 10 mins if I had to travel further than Grangecastle, the plan is never to travel further than I am, this place will be here forever I would think but the way things go no one can tell if your job will actually be there in a few years.

I would estimate Nissan will have a 30, 40 , 50 and 60 kwh option, I probably wouldn't get less than 50 to be honest. 50 Kwh would get you 175 (miles) not driving too easy !

60 Kwh 210 (Miles) drive 80-100 and possibly 240-250 miles. So really I suppose the 50 kwh would be more than enough if I can top up at a fast charger or even better 100 Kw charger if the battery is capable.

40 kwh would give you roughly 140 miles and probably still more than I need for 98% of my driving.

I would expect 30 Kwh to be the basic battery next time around. Who knows this time next year we might see 40 kwh announced for the 2017 leaf before the Gen II in 2018.

Cost, hmmm that's a tricky one. Nissan need to get this right but I suppose the fact they have stated publicly that there will be different battery sizes that the 60 Kwh won't be cheap however they know the Model 3 will be around or pretty closed to being available then too so pricing is crucial, the Model S will have around 60 Kwh also.

if I were to hazard a guess I would expect the 35 kwh to go for 35K Euro's after grant and VRT relief for the 60 Kwh. Tesla are reporting 35 K USD and by the time it gets here and all the taxes paid I expect the tesla to start around 40-42K Euro's just my guess.

I would also bet the 40 Kwh may start at the same price as the 30 kwh or maybe a bit cheaper.

I would say Nissan would be doing pretty well to sell it at 35K. If the grant is scrapped or the VRT relief then electrics will be screwed because in the case of the leaf it will bump the cost up by 10 k on all versions.

The Tesla will be fast, rumoured as fast as a BMW M5, so if tesla can achieve that at a much cheaper cost it could sell incredibly well in Ireland that is taxed so heavily on performance cars, costing very little to run V a BMW M5. Nissan know that is a 60 Kw leaf approaches tesla territory then it's in trouble. But a 40 kwh leaf costing 10-15K less than the tesla would probably sell pretty well too. In fact I know it would.

I can't imagine the Gen II leaf having more than 140 HP Max, in fact they will probably have around the same 104 HP to maximise range, I think this would be very foolish. The Leaf needs a more powerful option, 180 -200 HP version would be great, I would definitely sacrifice the 60 Kwh for 40-50 Kwh for that kind of power at a decent price !

2018 will certainly be interesting, we should have a lot more info come Summer/ Autumn 2017. Can't wait.

Someone on Speakev.com spotted a transporter full of new Leafs heading south for the Republic, earlier today. See post #209 on this thread which mentions:

For the benefit of any prospective 30kwh leaf owners in the Republic of Ireland, I happened to see two transporter loads this morning, southbound on the A1 at dromore, presumably heading for the border......

How do they know they're the 30 kWh ?

How do they know they're the 30 kWh ?

Conjecture, I suppose. :) But it's in line with the memo from Nissan Ireland to dealers, warning that there would be significant deliveries of the 30kWh model in the last days of Dec. And I'm an optimist!

I can't wait for the 60 kWh !

I can't wait for the 60 kWh !

That's twice you've said that..?

Scottie99 wrote: »
    That's twice you've said that..?

I can't wait for the 60 Kwh ! :D

3rd !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I can't wait for the 60 Kwh ! :D

3rd !

2019 Im now told , at the very least

BoatMad wrote: »
    2019 Im now told , at the very least

First I heard.

I would imagine they'll try get the 60 Kwh out before the Tesla Model 3 and it's also possible that a 40 Kwh will appear before the 60 kwh, maybe a 40 Kwh in 2017.

Who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

TBH I doubt Tesla will be even able to fill the pre-orders for the first two years of production. They just don't have the production headroom until the gigafactory is in full swing, the new lines ramp up in NUMMI and the new factory in the netherlands is in full swing.

There will be plenty of room for a new Leaf in the market. My bet for battery capacity is 30kWh, 45kWh and 60kWh. XE, SV, SVE.

I think once the Germans get their act together and release some serious competition to Tesla then Tesla could be in trouble. Most German car buyers want the badge and lets face it they are seriously nice places to sit.

I think Nissan will keep the 24 kwh and I would hope they keep the current Gen and sell it a lot cheaper.

They have said they will most likely offer multiple battery options and this makes a lot of sense so people can choose what best meets their needs based on what they're willing to pay.

40 Kwh would be the minimum I would upgrade to from 24 for Leaf II. I just hope 60 Kwh is available at a decent price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mylesm

anyone hear anything about delivery of New Leafs

mylesm

mylesm wrote: »

mylesm

Nothing yet

mylesm wrote: »

mylesm

Following the news of the spotting of that transporter in Dec heading to the Republic, the news of the last evening is that there was a bunch of new Leafs at the gated parking lot where cars are formally imported and pre-registered for tax—somewhere in City West if I heard that correctly—that arrived a few days ago. I understand that once their paperwork has been done they will be delivered to dealers. However, as the 30 kWh has never been through the procedure in Ireland yet, it requires some sort of a certification to be formalised, a one-off procedure which, I believe, mine is now awaiting.

Just got an update that the transporter load of Leafs that was spotted and the cars that arrived in the holding lot were only 24 kWh models. So no 30 kWh ones in Ireland, yet!

Got an update on mine. 2 weeks out.

cros13 wrote: »
    Got an update on mine. 2 weeks out.

Is that a 30Kw?

Yup, upgrade from 24kWh for my dad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 DaveHumphreys

Is anyone going for the bronze? Saw it at the 30kWh launch last year and it looked pretty good.

Curious to know what the biggest reason for those getting the 30kWh battery here? First time buyers or existing owners? Do you find the extra bit of range will be worth the added cost or are you upgrading?

Combination of reduced range anxiety and resale value.
    I don't need it for day to day but the extra range will reduce the number of fast charges required for the longer country runs, which I do about once a month.
    Also when selling the 30kW should command a premium over 24kw cars. Given that there was (still is?) an offer on it for €2K it seemed a no brain-er. By the time I go to sell it I don't expect the 24Kw to be offered on new cars as the 30Kw will probably be the entry level battery.

I think Nissan should continue to sell the current Gen Leaf even after the Gen II comes out in 2018, if they could manage to sell it a lot cheaper with the 30 Kwh battery it should be a good success.

I would imaging also the larger 30 kwh battery with 6.6 kw charger to be worth more, then again it costs more to begin with but I'd imaging it easier to sell than the 24 kwh and the 30 kwh also gets 50 or so kms more range for the same time on the fast charger as the 24 Kwh, very impressive.

Having more range from your home charge point is always good.

With GM announcing that the 200mile Chevy bolt will go sale at the start of 2017, it will be interesting to see what Nissan will do next. I can t see them waiting until 2018/2019 to finish the next version of the Leaf and let the Bollt grab market share with double the range at around the same price point
    http://www.slashgear.com/2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-revealed-with-200-mile-electric-range-06421814/

Fastpud wrote: »
    With GM announcing that the 200mile Chevy bolt will go sale at the start of 2017, it will be interesting to see what Nissan will do next. I can t see them waiting until 2018/2019 to finish the next version of the Leaf and let the Bollt grab market share with double the range at around the same price point
    http://www.slashgear.com/2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-revealed-with-200-mile-electric-range-06421814/

Trust me, with a planned production of just 30,000 Bolts, Nissan are laughing their heads off.

The Bolt won't be sold in the U.K or Ireland either because they are making 0 right hand drive models.

Why did GM bother ? my guess is so they can say they have an affordable 200 mile range EV before Nissan !

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I wouldn't be so sure Mad_Leaf, the Bolt is looking like the break through car we have all been waiting for.

200mile range (that is US EPA numbers, so real world), 0 to 60 in just 7 seconds, same size and Type as the Leaf.

Lots of people have already gotten a chance to drive it at CES and the reviews so far are excellent. This cars seems to be very much ready to start rolling over the manufacturer line very soon, GM seem to be way ahead of Nissan here.

Also the 30k year is just the minimum number they have contracted to build with LG, if demand is there they can build lots more.

To answer your questions, you have to understand this car isn't really a GM car, it is really a LG car with a GM badge. The batteries, drive train, electric motor, electric controls, infotainment system and all software are built by LG, basically all the hard parts, GM are basically building just the body.

This is very much a Japanese car and it is very obvious it is aimed at the European and Japanese markets. A compact hot hatch, hello, Americans don't like that sort of car, but Europeans and the Japanese love it.

This is LG entering the car market with a big bang and I suspect it to aggressively go head to head with Nissan.

Nissan are going to have to seriously step up their game and bring the Nissan Leaf 2 soon.

• Advertisement

I Know the battery is LG didn't now the rest of it was ? The Zoe, Twizzy battery is also LG.

TBH once I found out the Bolt production is so limited and not going to be sold in the U.K and Ireland I completely lost interest.

It is a spacious car but I don't think it has much of a boot ?

If they want to know if demand is there then they need to sell it in key markets where the infrastructure is and Ireland is a very good place to sell it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

TBH once I found out the Bolt production is so limited and not going to be sold in the U.K and Ireland I completely lost interest.

GM already said they will be bringing EV's to UK and Ireland in 2018, so this car (and I hope the nice looking Volt too) will be coming to Ireland.
    It is a spacious car but I don't think it has much of a boot ?

It has a larger passenger cabin then the Leaf, but a slightly smaller boot. However the rear seats split and fold down for extra boot space like most hatchbacks.

Interestingly this car has more passenger space then the Tesla S! Though I'd readily admit that is a slight of hand. The Bolt is very tall and has loads of headroom, while the Tesla S is low, but long and wide. Still though, pretty impressive.
    If they want to know if demand is there then they need to sell it in key markets where the infrastructure is and Ireland is a very good place to sell it.

Though GM hasn't a very strong presence in Ireland unfortunately, given the great EV's they make.

I expect this will force Nissan to push their Leaf 2 plans ahead of schedule. I can't see many current gen Leafs being sold in the US with this car coming soon.

Is anyone going for the bronze? Saw it at the 30kWh launch last year and it looked pretty good.

Curious to know what the biggest reason for those getting the 30kWh battery here? First time buyers or existing owners? Do you find the extra bit of range will be worth the added cost or are you upgrading?

Yes, I ordered a bronze 30 kWh. Bronze because it looks like dirt and will require less cleaning. 30 kWh because it means fewer stops for charging and not much to pay extra for a major performance improvement. Can't wait for it to arrive at the end of Jan. New buyer, trading in an 11 year old Prius.

bk wrote: »
    GM already said they will be bringing EV's to UK and Ireland in 2018, so this car (and I hope the nice looking Volt too) will be coming to Ireland.

Even when they do make a right hand drive model there is no guarantee Opel will import it to Ireland like Kia Ireland refused to import the Soul EV.
    It has a larger passenger cabin then the Leaf, but a slightly smaller boot. However the rear seats split and fold down for extra boot space like most hatchbacks.

Maybe only slightly larger however, imo the boot space is more important, they should have made an estate option or just have a larger boot. If it's much smaller than the Leaf then it's probably too small for me.

I expect this will force Nissan to push their Leaf 2 plans ahead of schedule. I can't see many current gen Leafs being sold in the US with this car coming soon.

It may or may not, Nissan have nothing to fear initially with a pathetic 30,000 models being built for the first year at least. Then the Leaf II is due for release.

I would hope Leaf II has a more powerful option but I expect they will keep the modest 104 Hp.

By 2018 BMW and VW may also have a 200 mile range option. VW are working on a 100 Kwh option for their new electric bus but I have a feeling VW will continue to push their crap diesel onto us Europeans while the U.S get the proper electrics.

2018 will be an interesting time, as long as the grant and VRT relief are still available, if not electrics will completely die in Ireland unless manufacturers reduce costs.

• Advertisement

Mad_Lad, most people are saying that the 30,000 Bolt estimate is just GM low balling the figure due to the bad publicity they received when they massively overestimated sales for the Volt. And Nissan made the same mistake with their initial estimates for the Leaf.

Better to underestimate and over deliver.

The reason the bolt is so exciting is because it is the first 200 mile affordable EV. It is what all of us EV fans have been dreaming of, it has the range that should help make EV's mainstream.

And what is so impressive is that it seems to be coming 2 years ahead of where I thought we would see such vehicles come. Rumour has it that GM have already started up the Bolt production line and expect that first for sale cars to be delivered by this summer!!! That is way ahead of where I though we were with affordable 60kwh EV's and looks like good news for the whole industry.

Even if the Bolt never comes to Ireland, Nissan really can't be far behind with a similar Leaf upgrade. Leaf won't sell at all in the US with the Bolt available if they don't. I highly suspect Nissan will now be forced to upgrade faster now that they face real competition. Already this week Nissans CEO has been talking about 400km long range Leaf coming soon at his AGM.

Competition is good and we need to see affordable 200 mile EV's from a variety of manufacturers in order for EV's to take off with the general public. So this is all very exciting news.

BTW I'd happily accept 20% less boot space of the Bolt, for double the range of the Leaf. In fact the current Leaf isn't even a possible option for me, but a 200mile EV, yes sir, I'm very excited about that.

The point is, you mention 2018 for 200 mile EV's a lot in your post about. But with the Bolt it is looking like 200 mile EV's are happening this year, not 2018 and that is really good news for all EV enthusiasts.

I do have a feeling that the problem may lie with Opel Ireland so I would suggest people keep hounding Opel HQ and tell them to have a "register your interest" option on the website like Nissan did in the beginning.

Sure it's exciting news alright, not a bad looking car and more power, but the boot could be the deciding factor for me. I just wish they'd make larger ev's.

Kia Ireland were not interested in importing the Soul EV because the dealers didn't want to invest the money for what they felt would be minuscule sales. And their other reason was that according to Kia Irish people only want the diesel cars. I told them that if ye don't advertise the car how can people show an interest if they don't know it exists ?

I've just kicked off an e-mail to Opel Ireland, I wonder what the response will be , any guesses ?

Ok , I emailed Opel Ireland , the bolt won't be rebranded as Opel in Europe and it won't be sold in Ireland because there are no Chevrolet dealers.

Unreal .

Apparently my 30 kWh Leaf has been unloaded from the ferry, but unsure where in Ireland. Can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mylesm

Rafal wrote: »
    Apparently my 30 kWh Leaf has been unloaded from the ferry, but unsure where in Ireland. Can't wait.

you probably saw my post I was emailed my 30kw leaf was with NVD and will be available next week

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭steelboots

My 24kw arrived into Cork last Wednesday, and I'm told can take upto 5 working days to deliver to dealer.

Still waiting for my home charger though :( I was told by ESB it would take upto 14 working days from the 18 Dec, getting impatient

I'm going bronze. One of the main reason I change was because of the deal I got...

Plus the delay in delivery has allowed me to put serious mileage on because it won't affect my allowance. Heading to Scotland via Holyhead on the 02/02..

Update - being told 3rd or 4th week in Feb

I suppose they had unexpected demand for the 30 Kwh ?

Barlo Nissan in Kilkenny said they sold about 10 leafs so far and about 5 are the 30 Kwh so not everyone wants the extra range or is willing to pay for it.

I suppose they had unexpected demand for the 30 Kwh ?

Barlo Nissan in Kilkenny said they sold about 10 leafs so far and about 5 are the 30 Kwh so not everyone wants the extra range or is willing to pay for it.

I'd say these 30kW may hold they're value slightly better than the 24. For us who were given a free battery upgrade and at an over all cost of €600 a year, it was a no brainer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement