Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

30 kWh Leaf Slight Delay

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,740 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It will take political will above all. The reason the EU has not pushed on air quality degradation by ICE's is because Germany and France are major car manufacturers.
    But I think the global warning Paris Agreement will be the big push.
    Also non traditional manufacturers disrupting the market.

Villain wrote: »
    If you think we have bad air quality you have obviously never been to China!

I haven't, why does that matter ? so I should accept the clouds of coal smoke here because air quality is a lot worse in China ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I haven't, why does that matter ? so I should accept the clouds of coal smoke here because air quality is a lot worse in China ?
    Because it is all relative, our air quality is not an issue really and isn't going to be a reason for people to switch to EV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I doubt there are many people in Ireland who care much about air quality, where I live so many houses burn filthy coal despite oil being much cheaper now and a lot cleaner.

Hmmmmm. So what percentage of our electricity is generated from fossils fuels again.

Villain, air quality and climate change are the one issue. Its becoming more obvious that not just greenhouse gases but particle pollution is a dangerous catylist to health problems.
    Electrical generation also must move radically to renewable energy.
    Quite ridicolous, even in economic terms, to be importing so much energy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Water John wrote: »
    Villain, air quality and climate change are the one issue. Its becoming more obvious that not just greenhouse gases but particle pollution is a dangerous catylist to health problems.
    Electrical generation also must move radically to renewable energy.
    Quite ridicolous, even in economic terms, to be importing so much energy.

Yep I agree but we are just a drop in an ocean and wind generation has shown how NIMBY is alive and well. The price of oil is also killing the renewable argument at present, if people were paying over $120 a barrel they would be far more focused.

Villain wrote: »
    Because it is all relative, our air quality is not an issue really and isn't going to be a reason for people to switch to EV.

I would say burning coal is a real issue yes, along with turf and briquettes.

Most people here are not going to change to EV until regulation changes.

I would say our Air quality varies throughout the Island but where I live clouds of coal smoke are a big problem and something I should not have to endure in 2016 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Hmmmmm. So what percentage of our electricity is generated from fossils fuels again.

FiLXhNe.png

But at night, when most EVs charge renewables are a much bigger percentage. On the night of the 4th I saw it top 80% renewable.

At night and sometimes during the day up to 50% of our electricity comes from wind, and more and more capacity is added every year, of course our electricity consumption is also growing.

I don't know why they still use coal to generate electricity, probably because it's cheaper than Gas.

A lot of electricity is used to refine petrol and diesel not to mention the energy needed to transport this oil from the wells to the refineries and then the petrol and diesel to the petrol stations and worse again is that a petrol or diesel will burn that energy at about 20-30% efficiency max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mylesm

At night and sometimes during the day up to 50% of our electricity comes from wind, and more and more capacity is added every year, of course our electricity consumption is also growing.

I don't know why they still use coal to generate electricity, probably because it's cheaper than Gas.

A lot of electricity is used to refine petrol and diesel not to mention the energy needed to transport this oil from the wells to the refineries and then the petrol and diesel to the petrol stations and worse again is that a petrol or diesel will burn that energy at about 20-30% efficiency max.

If you dont know why they still burn coal dont even go near Peat we all pay a PSO Levy on our Bill to Continue Burning Peat

• Advertisement

mylesm wrote: »
    If you dont know why they still burn coal dont even go near Peat we all pay a PSO Levy on our Bill to Continue Burning Peat

I can understand why they burn peat, because they don't have to import it. But Coal ? cheaper than Gas no doubt, I'm sure it's down to cost as always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I can understand why they burn peat, because they don't have to import it. But Coal ? cheaper than Gas no doubt, I'm sure it's down to cost as always.

Peat is burned in ireland as a social service, one that is to end in the near future,

Coal is burned because it is cheap and abundant and available commercially in large volumes

by comparison , gas is expensive

Ireland should simply build 2 nuclear plants and be done with all this windmill nonsense

Two traditional nuclear plants would produce far too much electricity. Cost a fortune to build and would take 25 years to get there.

The wind is largely a free energy source. Very cheap at night. Ev's have a big part to play as energy storage.

It isn't how much electricity comes from RE, thus not imported, its how much energy in total, which is over 85%.

Moneypoint burns cheap coal. Has to run at full throttle 330 x 3 =900Mw.

Our gas turbines too have to run at full throttle because of the tech that was used.

A variable generating source blended in with the variables of RE is the ideal.
    A thorium nuclear plant seems the best option.

We tolerate too much nonsense from objections. We have to differenciate between genuine and nimbyism which can also be the green eyed monster of jealousy.

I have turbines 400m from my house and no problem with them.

Ireland is too small for a commercial Nuclear reactor using current technology. The waste disposal would be too expensive and the construction too expensive.

Thorium, L.F.T.R reactors would be much more suitable to Ireland, you can make them in as little as 1MW sizes and they can be switched on and off far easier. There's also less than 1% of the waste than from current reactors.

More R & D needed.

Norway has something like 10,000 years supply of Thorium , if I remember correctly.

Hopefully someday..........

Ireland is too small for a commercial Nuclear reactor using current technology. The waste disposal would be too expensive and the construction too expensive.

Thorium, L.F.T.R reactors would be much more suitable to Ireland, you can make them in as little as 1MW sizes and they can be switched on and off far easier. There's also less than 1% of the waste than from current reactors.

More R & D needed.

Norway has something like 10,000 years supply of Thorium , if I remember correctly.

Hopefully someday..........

That Irish guy is looking at 150Mw. Plenty of it in India also.
    Very little residual and only needs 300 years storage, compared to 10K years for plutonium. Way to go.

For a carbon neutral economy in Ireland, Connolly of Aalborg University has done the study.

EV's are a core of this progress.

Once Nuclear is mentioned in the Irish media there will be mass protests no matter how safe it is.

Advertisement