Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big problem with jewellers

Options
  • 14-12-2015 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi all,

Hoping someone can advise me on how I should approach this or whether I should just suck it up and make alternate plans.

I ordered and paid in full for an engagement ring on Nov 27th. This was to be a Christmas present for my girlfriend and I had obviously made a lot of plans around it.

Anyway they call me TODAY and tell me that it turns out the ring is "out of stock" . Obviously I was fuming and let them know about it, like I'm told a week before xmas that the ring I bought for xmas is no longer available. I'd have been annoyed if they told me a couple days later never mind a few weeks later.

The date I ordered was significant because it was black Friday, I had waited for black Friday specifically as there would obviously good deals on jewellery, it was a certain type of ring and there were a few jewellers offering discounts that day but I (regrettably) chose this crowd. It seems their solution is just for me to choose another full price ring and they will try to get it for xmas. So whether I replace it with them or somewhere else I'm going to be paying far more than I would have paid on the day I ordered it!

I'm really stressed and upset about this now, doubt I'll have a ring for Christmas and when I do get one it won't be nearly as good a deal.

So do I just take the refund, should I expect the jewellers to do anything for me in this situation?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Take the refund and give someone else the business. Posters in other threads were let down by mail order companies, some retailers appear to be taking the p1ss big time and what seems to have happened is that they offered discounts, took orders and then failed to fulfil them, almost as if they were determined to kill the 'Black Friday' phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Take the refund and call one of the other jewellers you were considering buying from. Explain what happened and see if you can get the ring at discounted price. There is always room for a discount on expensive jewellery. They might be delighted with your custom. The worst that can happen is they say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭froggy1985

I think that's the most likely outcome unfortunately, the person who rang to give me the bad news is going to ring me back tomorrow but I doubt there will be any real solution, even if they discounted another ring as a gesture I'd probably not have it this side of xmas at this stage. It has really spoiled things for me now and I'm livid with how this has happened, finding out an item is out of stock is fair enough, not letting me know for weeks bearing in mind the time of year is awful.

Girlfriend loves xmas and I know she would have loved this ring and it would have been a great Christmas but looks like I'll have to wait til next year and pay more for their mistake!

tina1040 wrote: »
    Take the refund and call one of the other jewellers you were considering buying from. Explain what happened and see if you can get the ring at discounted price. There is always room for a discount on expensive jewellery. They might be delighted with your custom. The worst that can happen is they say no.

Worth a try actually, thanks. Problem is I don't have enough to buy another ring until I'm refunded which might take a few days so I was thinking striking a deal with the bad jewelers could be handy to speed things up, but I don't want to give them the business now.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

What about a cheap token ring and then go out after Christmas Day to choose a ring together? It's seems to be quite popular to do this. It would be a shame to postpone a Christmas proposal because you don't have the right ring. If you explain afterwards what happened I'm sure your girlfriend would understand and appreciate the thought.

• Advertisement

tina1040 wrote: »
    What about a cheap token ring and then go out after Christmas Day to choose a ring together? It's seems to be quite popular to do this. It would be a shame to postpone a Christmas proposal because you don't have the right ring. If you explain afterwards what happened I'm sure your girlfriend would understand and appreciate the thought.

I know a lot of people do that and it probably makes sense to most rational people but I just don't like the idea :) . I have a really good idea of the kind of ring she wants so I'd like to be able to produce her dream ring when proposing.

The only positive is that I don't think she is expecting it so waiting isn't the end of the world but it just won't be as nice next year and I probably couldn't afford as nice a ring at full price.

Ah well, first world problems eh. Need to be thankful I'm in this position, things are much worse for a lot of people this Christmas. Thanks for your input.

Advertisement