Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which GPs watch??

Options
  • 14-12-2015 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi all
    Just wondering if someone could recommend a good sports watch. Want one for open water swim and running mainly. Have looked at tom tom multi sport and Garmin 910. From what I read tom tom is not good for open water so leaning towards Garmin 910. Could not afford 920 so wondering what else about

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Have sunnto ambit 2s. Hasn't let me down yet and very customisable. Patchy in open water in terms of exact GPS trail but generally gets enough points to make it worthwhile. Has accelerometer anyway so records stroke details. Very quick to get GPS... 8secs mostly. Girlfriend has a garmin running watch....takes 5mins to get GPS. Defo recommend the ambit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Have sunnto ambit 2s. Hasn't let me down yet and very customisable. Patchy in open water in terms of exact GPS trail but generally gets enough points to make it worthwhile. Has accelerometer anyway so records stroke details. Very quick to get GPS... 8secs mostly. Girlfriend has a garmin running watch....takes 5mins to get GPS. Defo recommend the ambit

Depends in the Garmin. Anything recent is seconds. 910xt isn't bad for satellite acquisition.

How often are you going to open water swim? I'd guess not much. Would a pure running watch not be cheaper and more feature rich at your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nok2008

tunney wrote: »
    Depends in the Garmin. Anything recent is seconds. 910xt isn't bad for satellite acquisition.

How often are you going to open water swim? I'd guess not much. Would a pure running watch not be cheaper and more feature rich at your budget?

I aim on swimming open water at least once / twice a week (once the weather warms up) and complete a few triathlons (defo Olympic and maybe half ironman - looking to finish rather than getting placed though). I was thinking about a running only watch but want to see if i am improving on my swimming as much as anything. So thats the reason why i was aiming at a multi-sport watch as definitely dont want to buy two. Probably dont really need a watch in the first place really but we wont discuss that element of it..........

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

IMO 910XT is a way to go. I would always elect Garmin watch for triathlon and personally like 910xt. Sometimes it does take a bit to load GPS location, not 5 mins though, but will give you the most for you money for all three sports. I only hope you can get some discount still, 2 weeks ago people were reporting some massive discounts on 910xt here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

I'm looking at the new Garmin 235 with the wrist hrm and it seems that it is usable for swimming and cycling.
    Its not going to measure strokes or anything like that but the GPS , time and HR is probably as much as I really want anyway.

I'm probably just trying to justify spending that much on a Running watch but as something I'd wear all the time its going to get a lot more use than a 910 that will sit in a drawer between races and OW training sessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Why does the 910 have to sit in the drawer between races? It's just as good as a running watch as the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Why does the 910 have to sit in the drawer between races? It's just as good as a running watch as the others.

Yea its fine for running but IMO its too big and ugly for general use.
    The point of the 235 beyond being a gps running watch seems to be its claim to run for over a week in use as a hrm and activity tracker.

I 'll find out how that works soon enough as I've just splurged on one, should have it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Too big and ugly for general (sports) use?

Sounds like you wanted validation for choosing a 235 :) no harm it's also a good watch.

Advertisement