Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Security tag left on superdry jacket

• 14-12-2015 11:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Hey on sunday I purchased two tshirts and a jacket in superdry Dublin. I travelled up from limerick to do some Christmas shopping in Dublin throughout the day the security sensors were going off as I went in and out of all the shops in Dublin and the security were watching me it was very embarrassing. I didn't realise until I got back home to limerick and took all my purchases out of my bags that they had left the tag on. I rang them straight away to complain I was told the manager was busy and was passed on to someone else who told me to drive back to Dublin to have the tag removed. This was a Christmas present and it's useless now. I won't be back in Dublin anytime soon. What are my rights in this situation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,465 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nothing other than returning it to the shop for removal - it isn't the shops fault you live far away from the shop. It's effectively defective and you get no allowance for travel for that

You should have checked at the first other shop it was set off in, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The seller can be liable for additional costs directly related to the defect however OP I'm a bit surprised how you didn't notice as you left the shop. Surely the alarm would have sounded at which stage you should have returned to the cashier. If that's the case then you may have to bear some of the responsibility and cost in resolving this.

You could contact the shop again and wait speak to the manager and see if you can agree what to do. One option could be for the shop to send you a replacement item and you return the tagged item. Ideally if you can get them to courier the replacement items then the courier could collect the tagged item from you at the same time. Otherwise they may require you to return the tagged items first or you could agree to bill the replacement against your credit/debit card on the provisio it will be refunded when the tagged item is returned.

Alternatively you could just remove the tag yourself legitimately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,240 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Cant understand how any of the shops where alarms went off didnt check your bags, bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Cant understand how any of the shops where alarms went off didnt check your bags, bizarre.

To be fair, I'm forever setting off the alarm in Lidl even when I'm carrying nothing but a loaf of bread! They always just wave you on - it just happens sometimes so if I set off an alarm in another shop in which I hadn't purchased anything I wouldn't think much of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

does that shop not have another outlet closer to you

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Geoffrey Dalton

Them tags are difficult to remove, force is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Do not remove the tag yourself unless you can do it properly. They have ink inside that will stain the jacket when forcibly removed. This happened to me with a pair of trousers from debenhams. Hubby's purchase, they forgot to remove tag. Foolishly tried to remove it at home cue ruined trousers. Return to the store or maybe they could arrange with a different store using same system. Alternatively do you know anyone in retail who could help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I'm not sure if the tags are specific to super dry but if they are a generic type you could try any local tesco/sportswear store etc that uses them (bring your receipt to prove you haven't stolen them) and hopefully your luck is in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Mod: @Posters. Please don't discuss destructive methods of removing tags. The tag is still the property of the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Op, we arrived back from New York this year to find 5 of the items we bought still had security tags on them. I tried to remove one but ended up with dye on an expensive pair of trousers so don't try to remove yourself. The other 4 I took to a local clothes shop, explained the situation and showed them receipt (proves I didn't steal them) they were more than happy to take off the tags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Craigels

Ok thanks everyone I'm going to try the shops in town and see will they remove them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

There's a Superdry store @ Kildare Village. Still not ideal but its a good bit closer to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

There is also one in Cork

89-90 St Patricks Street, Cork
    02142 48905

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

I know my local shaws department store helped me with a tag before from another shop BUT I had to produce the receipt to prove I had bought the item. I was grateful. I've had tags left in 3 different items 3 different times and they never set off the alarm when leaving the shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

You dont need to use any kind of force to remove it, other than a little magnetic force. Just put a magnet next to it and you will hear a click, then gently remove the tag. All these shops use a magnet in the same way.

If you dont have a magnet, you could borrow one for a moment form people you might know <SNIP>.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭finky1

just report to nearest guards station and hand yourself in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

It happened to the wife from two tops from a shop in England that had no stores here. She just went to a shop in town the woman said you would be surprised how often they take tags off from other shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

N magnets can do the trick nicely. supermagnete.de have great stuff. They even giver you some tiny free magnets when you order. You would be amazed what fun you can have with them. When I ordered some big ones, I got excited when I seen the health and safety warnings about the dangers using such powerful magnets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,789 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

If there's Sensormatic Supertag attached, magnet won't release it.

It needs to be put into a dedicated detacher with a hook like this:

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1313838408_5/2013-HOT-AM-sensormatic-electronic-supertag-detacher.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

many ways to remove that tag without the ink bursting or ripping the jacket or visiting another shop, search youtube , if youre not happy with one method theres many others.

Then ring the shop and ask them if they want their security tag back. Get them to send you the postage money.

Advertisement