Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in Mahon Point next Saturday. Will it be chaos?

Options
  • 14-12-2015 11:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭

I'm going to see Star Wars at 2pm on Saturday. What sort of traffic situation should I expect?

I don't spend a lot of time around that area so I'm not sure what to expect, but I've heard it can be absolute chaos at times.

Now put Star Wars and the last weekend before Christmas together ... I think I'm fecked.

I plan to leave the city center and make my way to Mahon at around 12 midday. I should be alright.. right?

Are there any sneaky parking spots around the center? I noticed on google maps there are a few housing estates nearby. Do you think I'll get away with parking there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

What about the cinema in Douglas?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Markcheese

There's a bus from grand parade to Mahon point - it'll be a lot easier than struggling to get in to the car-park and even worse getting out -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭28srf0c

Too late. Booked the tickets. Also I didn't even know Douglas had a cinema.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Normally the bus to Mahon Point is a good idea, but during peak times (4:30-6) they have a tendency to show up later or not at all (about a 20% of this).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

kub wrote: »
    What about the cinema in Douglas?

Because Douglas cinema is rubbish? Old screens and movies cutting out halfway through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Even on busy days I've found if you get to Mahon point before about 12 then it's not too bad. That's a bit early for you though, waiting until 2 for the film to start. And anyway getting out of Mahon after the film will be the worst part.

As others have said I'd take an early bus. If it's not raining you could cycle out along the old railway path. Last resort, get a taxi?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I thought Douglas cinema had closed years ago. It was even in a sorry state the last time I was there, so I'd hate to see it now.

Is go with the bus as well. As others have said, it's getting out is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If I was heading over I'd probably park in the retail park across the way, theres a plenty of spaces towards the back end of the car park, by the junction that you can leave the car and stroll across to the shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

I would follow the advice above by GavRedKing

12 seems like enough time but the slip roads off the motorway for Mahon can be a nightmare at times so i would take that into account.

I would leave nothing to chance. Missing the start of Star Wars would suck.

Midnight tomorrow cant come soon enough. AAAAHHHH

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭valoren

12 is plenty of time.

It's advertised for 2 but it won't start until half an hour later than advertised with all the ads and trailers.
    Assuming the seats are reserved obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

One thing is for sure, its going to be absolute carnage at that time on the Saturday before Xmas. I'd get in there as early as possible and have a wander, grab lunch etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

To think that the plan originally was to have just 2 lanes (1 in each direction) on that flyover:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Another thing to consider if ya really want to is to park underground where DFS and Starbucks is, yes it takes a bit of time to get into but on your way out you can cut through the back exit of that car park and be on your way back to town through Mahon/Blackrock much quicker than if you were to be leaving Mahon Point or the industrial park.

That would be my play if I was leaving for town after the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

You might be ok, theres no really sneaky way in there to be honest.Unless maybe you park in an estate but it would be at your own risk... Just change it maybe head in an half hour early.. Was surprised this weekend the place was very quite

One of the main reasons we booked out tickets for Ballincollig as I must say trying to get in and out to mahon is impossible and they charge to much there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

You can park in the estate next to Mahon Point and walk across through pedestrian gates. Did it loads of times during lunch hour and it was grand. Its at your own risk though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

28srf0c wrote: »
    I'm going to see Star Wars at 2pm on Saturday. What sort of traffic situation should I expect?

I don't spend a lot of time around that area so I'm not sure what to expect, but I've heard it can be absolute chaos at times.

Now put Star Wars and the last weekend before Christmas together ... I think I'm fecked.

I plan to leave the city center and make my way to Mahon at around 12 midday. I should be alright.. right?

Are there any sneaky parking spots around the center? I noticed on google maps there are a few housing estates nearby. Do you think I'll get away with parking there?

May the force be with you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭weadick

I thought Douglas cinema had closed years ago. It was even in a sorry state the last time I was there, so I'd hate to see it now.

Is go with the bus as well. As others have said, it's getting out is the problem.

Amazing it has survived so long tbh, think it was built in around 92 or 93? I'd say the traffic in Douglas is almost as bad if not worse than Mahon these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I like the cinema in Douglas I must say, its old school they could do a lot more with it

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

it wasn't too bad after. l left at 4.30 and the traffic was fine. That gridlock a few weeks back seems to have really made a difference regarding people going near Mahon Point.

Advertisement