Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What options to spend Three credit on something else than calls and texts

Options
  • 15-12-2015 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭

I am on Three prepaid with the 20 euros all you can eat data 30 days deal.
    I'm mostly a data user and only use a few euros of 20 euros top-up each month, so I have accumulated quite a lot of credit over the months.

Are there any ways of using my credit on something else than phone service? I saw for example you can use it on Google Play but I have no interest as I am not using Google products. Any other ways I might have missed to purchase products/services using my Three balance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

You can buy films and music on google play. You can download to your laptop and use what ever player you want. You would need a google account though. I know you say you don't want to use google products but your exposure would be limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

You can buy films and music on google play. You can download to your laptop and use what ever player you want. You would need a google account though. I know you say you don't want to use google products but your exposure would be limited.

Thanks. Not really interested in buying music as I am kind of committed to Apple Music / iTunes, but films actually sound interesting and I didn't think of that.

Looking at the Three website they seem to say to setup the service you need to make an initial purchase from the Google Play Store app on an Android phone connected to the Three network to enable your Three credit balance as a payment method on your Google account. You know if I can do that without an Android device? (it happens that neither myself not my girlfriend are on Android and if I could avoid borrowing someone's phone and having to set it up with my Google account I'd rather avoid)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Bob24 wrote: »
    Thanks. Not really interested in buying music as I am kind of committed to Apple Music / iTunes, but films actually sound interesting and I didn't think of that.

Looking at the Three website they seem to say to setup the service you need to make an initial purchase from the Google Play Store app on an Android phone connected to the Three network to enable your Three credit balance as a payment method on your Google account. You know if I can do that without an Android device? (it happens that neither myself not my girlfriend are on Android and if I could avoid borrowing someone's phone and having to set it up with my Google account I'd rather avoid)

I can't see a way round it to be honest. Although you can pick up a basic Android phone for buttons just to set it up.
    You can place ads on Adverts.ie and Done Deal with phone credit also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

What you could do is not top up for a month and buy data from them in a bundle. Might save you €20/40 a year anyway

Dodge wrote: »
    What you could do is not top up for a month and buy data from them in a bundle. Might save you €20/40 a year anyway

Thanks - only thing is I use roughly 10GB of data per month and the only data bundle I see is 500MB for 5 euros - I might do it anyway if I have no other use for the credit but it would burn my 200 euros balance pretty quickly :-) (as you said overall it still is a 20/40 euros saving each year so always good to take if nothing better).

I was also thinking if they transfer your top-up balance as a credit on your account when you move to bill pay, I could temporarily move to a sim only bill pay plan (I'll have to check if they let you keep the balance - I know Meteor has done that fro me before but not sure about Three).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I think Three allow it too but you may be tied to a contract

• Registered Users Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭dahat

If you are a cyclist you can subscribe to Strata Premium via carrier billing of your Three account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Three credit only lasts 180 days. The credit thats in use will last until used up if you make one chargeable call every 180 days but the credit in the queue behind it can become over 180 days old and you'll loose it.

ED E wrote: »

Excellent, thanks!

So basically aside from adverts.ie once in a while I think my best bet is to find an Android phone and register for using the credit to buy movies on Google Play.

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    If you are a cyclist you can subscribe to Strata Premium via carrier billing of your Three account.

Not my thing, but thanks for the suggestion!

my3cents wrote: »
    Three credit only lasts 180 days. The credit thats in use will last until used up if you make one chargeable call every 180 days but the credit in the queue behind it can become over 180 days old and you'll loose it.

OK that's a bit sneaky ... I might actually have lost some without noticing. Thanks.

Advertisement