Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is insincere / random banter just not allowed on AH anymore?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Ha ha. I just got banned from After Hours for calling a poster a knobhead. Since when could you not a poster a knobhead in AH? Healthy and safety gone mad.
    Were people ever able to give personal abuse on AH?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Azalea wrote: »
    Were people ever able to give personal abuse on AH?

No, in the same way you can't post personal abuse in any other forum either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Zaph wrote: »
    No, in the same way you can't post personal abuse in any other forum either.

You used to in the Thunderdome but that got culled too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Always reminds me of a local bar owner who wouldn't tolerate swearing and once barred someone for singing.

However, given the amount of crap(a lot of it disturbing) on the internet it's kind of a relief to find a spot that's clean cut and well dressed.

That's great and all, but sometimes threads are just randomly locked without any post from a mod. This one may not have been locked by you personally but jesus mods, at least do a quick closing post to say why a thread is being locked.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057535034

This one is one to which the OP linked and I had said I wouldn't get into specifics but it is agreed that closing posts should always be added. In this instance it was one of many parody threads which were started that evening, so anyone online at the time would probably have known the reason it was locked however my comods agree that a note should have been added, and also that perhaps this particular thread could have been left open. Historically with parody threads they snowball and have often ended with the front page being nothing but parody threads. The mod made a judgment call at the time which is all that can be asked of us, but again, it's something we will be mindful of in future.

We had a good chat about locking threads, and one of the things that came out of it is that we as mods are so used to how some threads go and can spot them a mile off that we do at times have a tendency to nip it in the bud before the inevitable happens. We have agreed though that rather than make that call, we will try to let the thread run and close it if needs be when (or if!) it goes the way we expect it to rather than before.

• Advertisement
Advertisement