Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is my download speed reduced

Options
  • 15-12-2015 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi. I have e fibre broadband from eir. When I signed up for this service I was told I could get speeds of up to 50mbs. I fully understand that this is subject to various conditions such as the distance of your house from the eir box etc etc.
    So since I got the service(have it now about a year and a half) I have been receiving a download speed of approx 20mbs. While this is only 40% of the 50mbs that is on offer, I found it was enough to cover my needs. (6 people living in my house with high usage).
    In the last few weeks I noticed we had a serious drop in our download speed and put it down to the recent weather. I ran a few speed tests yesterday (used the one from the eir webpage) and I got results varying from 3mps to 4.9 mbs. 
    I spoke with a representative from eir last night and he did some magic over the line to bring me up to a download speed of 10mbs which is double what I had before I phoned.
    While I was happy to have doubled my download speed from 4.9mbs to 10mbs, the eir rep was unable to grasp that I was still not happy that I was now only receiving 50% of what I had previously been able to receive.

So whats the story here?,  How was the rep able to "adjust" my download speed upwards at the press of a button and why am I now being restricted to 10mbs ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

Hi. I have e fibre broadband from eir. When I signed up for this service I was told I could get speeds of up to 50mbs. I fully understand that this is subject to various conditions such as the distance of your house from the eir box etc etc.
    So since I got the service(have it now about a year and a half) I have been receiving a download speed of approx 20mbs. While this is only 40% of the 50mbs that is on offer, I found it was enough to cover my needs. (6 people living in my house with high usage).
    In the last few weeks I noticed we had a serious drop in our download speed and put it down to the recent weather. I ran a few speed tests yesterday (used the one from the eir webpage) and I got results varying from 3mps to 4.9 mbs. 
    I spoke with a representative from eir last night and he did some magic over the line to bring me up to a download speed of 10mbs which is double what I had before I phoned.
    While I was happy to have doubled my download speed from 4.9mbs to 10mbs, the eir rep was unable to grasp that I was still not happy that I was now only receiving 50% of what I had previously been able to receive.

So whats the story here?,  How was the rep able to "adjust" my download speed upwards at the press of a button and why am I now being restricted to 10mbs ?
    Hi Shermanator

I can fully understand why you would ask so feel free to drop me a pm including your eir account number and I'll get back to you within 24hrs.

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shermanator

eir: Alan wrote: »

Hi Shermanator

I can fully understand why you would ask so feel free to drop me a pm including your eir account number and I'll get back to you within 24hrs.

Thanks

Al
    Thanks Alan
    PM sent

Hi Shermanator

Thanks

Al
    Thanks Alan
    PM sent
    Thanks Shermanator

I should have a conclusive update for you tomorrow afternoon

Al

Hi Shemanator

Your speeds are set to 40Mb but it seems as though 20Mb is the max your speed is reaching - this has been escalated to engineers to investigate under case reference number [font=Calibri","sans-serif]EIR-FNC-13105438 - [/font][font=Calibri","sans-serif]There is a three working day timeframe behind this investigation[/font][font=Calibri","sans-serif].[/font]

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]Thanks[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Al[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shermanator

Hi Shemanator

Your speeds are set to 40Mb but it seems as though 20Mb is the max your speed is reaching - this has been escalated to engineers to investigate under case reference number EIR-FNC-13105438 - There is a three working day timeframe behind this investigation.

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Alan

Thanks for that

• Advertisement

Hi Shemanator

Your speeds are set to 40Mb but it seems as though 20Mb is the max your speed is reaching - this has been escalated to engineers to investigate under case reference number EIR-FNC-13105438 - There is a three working day timeframe behind this investigation.

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Alan

Thanks for that
    No problem Shermanator

Al

Advertisement