Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plex question for new ATV owners

• 15-12-2015 10:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Quick question... Previously I had a mac mini sitting under my TV with a large hard drive attached loaded with media & running plex. It died & I replaced it with an ATV 3 which meant having to run my mac all the time so it could access iTunes.

If I buy an new ATV & install the plex app, can I then get a mini server to store the media elsewhere & shut the mac down at night or is it still reliant on having iTunes open somewhere on the network.

Likewise, if I decide not to do that, can plex scan my iTunes folder on my mac & access the media within that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm not sure what you mean by iTunes OP. For the Apple TV 4 you just need to install Plex client from the App store on your Apple TV. If your Plex server lives on your Mac and I presume your HD is connected to the Mac in some way, then yes, you'll need to have your mac running to allow the Apple TV 4 Plex client to connect to the Plex server running there.

What you could do is buy something cheap and small that can run a Plex server and leave that up all the time. I run a Mac Mini as my Plex server myself and it works well. I can't really advise you of what other gear to buy as a dedicated server as I've only used the Mac so don't know what the cheaper platforms are like to live with day in day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

You will need a machine to do the transcoding. Atv is just a client.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

All my media is on my Synology nas. Apple TV4 will not natively map drives and play DTS encoded content. But InfusePro at 9.99 euro does and it's pretty excellent. You wouldn't need a plex server running at all.

Plex transcodes down to a suitable format for Apple to play.

Your mileage may vary. Enjoy the setup and experience.

Advertisement