Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to books to read? A Journey Begins...

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Stephen King is very easy to read so if you are starting off reading again I'd recommend him.

Michael Connelly and Dennis Lehane (Kenzie and Gennaro series) are great crime writers who again are very easy to read and the books rattle along at a good pace and are always enjoyable.

I went years without reading and the Da Vinci Code was the book that got me back into reading.Really short chapters always ending with some small aspect of the plot unresolved meant I couldn't stop reading it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Like Swiper I tried to read the first Harry Potter book in my 20s but unlike him I couldn't get through it. I felt it was squarely aimed at kids. Having said that, my sister says from the second book on they become more adult. Either way they are quite big and if it takes one or two books to get to the more adult-oriented ones and you are out of the habit of reading I think they might be a bad fit.

Bill Bryson is a great recommendation as he's easy to read and funny. The Lost Continent was my favourite but Notes From a Small Island was good too.

I'm not sure if your interest in science extends to science fiction but if so you might give The Hitchhiker's Guide series a go. They are short, easy to read and full of humour. Might cheer you up if you're feeling sick.

A more serious but still easy to read sci-fi is Ender's Game.

If you're looking to try fantasy I highly recommend The Fionavar Tapestry trilogy by Guy Gavriel Kay. The Summer Tree is the first book. Tigana by the same author is also excellent but a lot longer.

For horror, Stephen King's short stories are very easy to read. Clive Barker's Books of Blood are also good but perhaps a little darker.

Philip K Dick writes great short stories but that's more sci fi. George Saunders has a great collection of short stories called Tenth of December if you just want straight fiction stories.

For fact, Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers is quite readable. Steve Martins' memoir, Born Standing Up, is another good read.

You might be feeling overwhelmed by suggestions. Here's the thing; I don't think it matters whether you read on a Kindle or a hard copy. I don't think it's going to pay to pick the right book. Instead, you should read around 10 books, from different genres, different authors and begin to establish your taste a bit more definitely.

Personally, I read around one book every three weeks, but that's mostly because I'm in a book club and have to! If you're sick then you may have more time to kill; 50 pages in a reading session is a nice number to aim for and I find helps me enjoy books. With a longer reading session you tend to lose yourself more, whereas if you're only dipping in and out and you don't feel submerged in the text and it becomes hard to finish.

Good luck and I hope you find some books you enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Like Swiper I tried to read the first Harry Potter book in my 20s but unlike him I couldn't get through it. I felt it was squarely aimed at kids. Having said that, my sister says from the second book on they become more adult. Either way they are quite big and if it takes one or two books to get to the more adult-oriented ones and you are out of the habit of reading I think they might be a bad fit.

Bill Bryson is a great recommendation as he's easy to read and funny. The Lost Continent was my favourite but Notes From a Small Island was good too.

I'm not sure if your interest in science extends to science fiction but if so you might give The Hitchhiker's Guide series a go. They are short, easy to read and full of humour. Might cheer you up if you're feeling sick.

A more serious but still easy to read sci-fi is Ender's Game.

If you're looking to try fantasy I highly recommend The Fionavar Tapestry trilogy by Guy Gavriel Kay. The Summer Tree is the first book. Tigana by the same author is also excellent but a lot longer.

For horror, Stephen King's short stories are very easy to read. Clive Barker's Books of Blood are also good but perhaps a little darker.

Philip K Dick writes great short stories but that's more sci fi. George Saunders has a great collection of short stories called Tenth of December if you just want straight fiction stories.

For fact, Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers is quite readable. Steve Martins' memoir, Born Standing Up, is another good read.

You might be feeling overwhelmed by suggestions. Here's the thing; I don't think it matters whether you read on a Kindle or a hard copy. I don't think it's going to pay to pick the right book. Instead, you should read around 10 books, from different genres, different authors and begin to establish your taste a bit more definitely.

Personally, I read around one book every three weeks, but that's mostly because I'm in a book club and have to! If you're sick then you may have more time to kill; 50 pages in a reading session is a nice number to aim for and I find helps me enjoy books. With a longer reading session you tend to lose yourself more, whereas if you're only dipping in and out and you don't feel submerged in the text and it becomes hard to finish.

Good luck and I hope you find some books you enjoy!

Thank you so much for the suggestions! On average it takes me around 1 hr 30 mins to read approx. 26-28 pages - not sure if that's slow or not! The book I am currently reading is the "The Power of Now". I am finding it ok to read, but I now know it's not my 'type' of book.

With all these suggestions I am thinking the Kindle is the way to go for saving some money and for pure convenience!

Has anyone read 'Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

GeneralC wrote: »
    Has anyone read 'Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End?

I read it and would say it is the most important and thought-provoking book I read this year, and possibly any other year.
    You might be a bit young to be thinking about getting old and frail and what is means to be mortal. If you have been ill you might prefer not to dwell on sickness and death but it is a book well worth reading.
    The subject matter is heavy, (mortality, life and death) but not depressing and it has a lot of personal stories so it isn't an academic treatment of the subject.

You can his articles for free on the New Yorker website http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/05/11/overkill-atul-gawande and get an idea if you an interested in his work.

echo beach wrote: »
    I read it and would say it is the most important and thought-provoking book I read this year, and possibly any other year.
    You might be a bit young to be thinking about getting old and frail and what is means to be mortal. If you have been ill you might prefer not to dwell on sickness and death but it is a book well worth reading.
    The subject matter is heavy, (mortality, life and death) but not depressing and it has a lot of personal stories so it isn't an academic treatment of the subject.

You can his articles for free on the New Yorker website http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/05/11/overkill-atul-gawande and get an idea if you an interested in his work.

I'll be having a third open-heart surgery so I am pretty use to "heavy" ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I started the Harry Potter series in my late 20s. Honestly, the first two in the series, I thought were dire, but from three onwards, they got really good, and I very much enjoyed them, and was glad I stuck with them. I think they're a good start for somebody not used to reading.

I'd also agree with the Bill Bryson recommendations.

Pity OP hasn't liked Lee Child books - I like reading his series, especially if I've just come off reading a bit of a long, clunky book and am looking for an easy-read page-turner. Dan Brown, Robert Harris, Bernard Cornwell, Michael Crichton, etc, I'd also put in the same category and might be worth the OP checking out.

I purchased the Bill Bryson book today that you guy's recommended. I want to finish the The Power of Now first then move onto it!

Thank you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Picked up a book today too, OP. Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson. I've heard only good things, apart from the need to carry a notebook detailing characters with me whenever I read a few pages.

Sure, I'll see how I get on.

Picked up a book today too, OP. Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson. I've heard only good things, apart from the need to carry a notebook detailing characters with me whenever I read a few pages.

Sure, I'll see how I get on.

What's it about? I must put it on my list!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The OP might like Isaac Asimov's short stories, the Robot series are great stories.

I also like Iain Banks and Iain M Banks books ( the M are science fiction)

All Quiet on the Western Front is a great short book

I read the Harry Potter stories in my 30's
    They grow in complexity as the series goes on, I read JK wrote them for a person starting in 6th class and ageing a year to read the next book.
    Book 3 is where the jump from Childhood happens

Hi all,

Any recommendations on an eReader? I am considering the Kobo Aura eReader or the Kindle PaperWhite.

Has anyone ready "The China Study"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

Hi OP
    Sorry to hear of your illness. I don't read much non-fiction but as far as fiction goes I would agree that you should not be concerned about what you think the implied audience of a certain book is - if something sounds interesting/engaging to you then by all means give it a go! The Harry Potter books were not for me but friends in my age group (i.e late 20s when they first came out) read them all and raved about them. It's often an interesting exercise to re-read a book you read as a child/teenager/young adult etc. to see what a different take you get on the story!

A lot of great books have been suggested and I was just going to add that maybe 'The Lord of the Flies' might be worth a go if you are after something less forgettable. Also its a good time of the year for lists - there are a few here I would be interested in giving a go http://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/young-adult-books/best-of-2015/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Checkout Lee Child. He writes about a character called Jack Reacher, former army now wanders around the country solving crimes and being generally awesome.

Not exactly high brow stuff, but I think if you enjoy the first book the Killing Floor, like me you'll read the whole collection...there's about 20 of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Brysons book is great. He's also done travel stuff but I've never been able to get into them.

If you like Lord of the Rings type stuff then might I recommend... erm.... The Lord of the Rings :D Similar and better writer imo is Brandon Sanderson. His books are great and of course, the current ruler of TV, A game of Thrones (although I found these all a bit boring after a while). Also the Wheel of Time series is a bit of a de facto read here in this genre.

Sci Fi: I recommend Peter F Hamilton,his books are huuuuge but I personally think scifi is a bit of an acquired taste. I liked his stories but there are some naff elements. Iain M Banks, have to say I'm not a huge fan but it's another option.

Comedy: Discworld. The first book or two I'm not the biggest fan but he does much better work later on. I've laughed till I've cried at Pratchetts stories. His non Discworld stuff is just as worthy. I' was genuinely sad when he passed away this year. A true literary genius lost.

Horror: Can't go wrong with Kings earlier works also including the books he wrote under the Bachman? pseudonym. King also has the Dark Tower series which is a nice break away from his horror writing and his go at fantasy.

Non fiction/Biographies I don't do. But the above writers and their works should keep you going for a loooong time.

Also, if you have a smart phone consider the kindle app. I find it very easy to lie in bed with the lights off reading. Great way to nod off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

I would agree with a previous poster about Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything. It's interesting but a chore to read. A Walk in the Woods is one of his best books, easy to read, funny and very enjoyable. Also, another poster mentioned Dark Matter. Very atmospheric and thoroughly enjoyable story. Best of luck OP.

I purchased a Kobo Aura eReader and I have to admit, it's not for me. It might be for a lot of people, but it certainly isn't for me.

I purchased a Kobo Aura eReader and I have to admit, it's not for me. It might be for a lot of people, but it certainly isn't for me.

Was wondering about one of these myself OP. Am definitely on the fence though.

Was wondering about one of these myself OP. Am definitely on the fence though.

Like you, I was on the fence as well about purchasing one. I can see the advantages of having one but in my opinion it doesn't replace the feeling of a 'real' book.

Like you, I was on the fence as well about purchasing one. I can see the advantages of having one but in my opinion it doesn't replace the feeling of a 'real' book.

Ive gone a bit reading mad lately. Aim to read a book a weak this year. However, will be moving to Korea in a few months so buying books that I won't be able to transport seems wasteful.. Have heard mixed reviews about these readers anyway :/

• Advertisement

Ive gone a bit reading mad lately. Aim to read a book a weak this year. However, will be moving to Korea in a few months so buying books that I won't be able to transport seems wasteful.. Have heard mixed reviews about these readers anyway :/

Well, considering your circumstances it might suit you then!

I know that reader, and it's vastly inferior to a Kindle Paperwhite (not the basic Kindle), I'd say that writing off ereaders on the basis of a Kobo Aura is akin to writing off air travel on the basis of the speed of a hot air balloon.

Nothing replaces the feel of a real book, but a good ereader is a fantastic bit of kit, and especially so for travel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 oliviablond

Celine Roberts "No One Wants You"

Advertisement