Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of small kitchen extension

Options
  • 15-12-2015 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi,

I'm looking to knock out the back wall of my kitchen/diner and add a small extension of approx. 100 sq feet (similar to a sunroom). I'm planning to rip out my existing kitchen and change the layout around, so plumbing and electrics will need to be changed. Finally, I'm also planning to move the door into the kitchen from the hallway, which would require moving the radiator in the kitchen.

I'm aware that a small extension is likely to be more costly per square foot. Also the house is a terrace, so access will be limited through the front door.

Excluding the cost of the kitchen, what do you think I'd be look at price-wise for the finished build? Would I need to factor in any extra costs - or does the builder include everything in the price - e.g. waste removal, flooring etc.? The existing kitchen/diner is 150 sq feet.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

20 - 50 k depending on pretty much everything

• Registered Users Posts: 37 MistySky

Thanks for taking the time to reply BrianF.

That's a fairly big price range. I'm looking for a standard finish - nothing too fancy. And I'm going to price the kitchen units/countertops/appliances etc. separately as I'm aware this depends on the specific kitchen and finishes chosen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

the difficulty with pricing an extension is that in many cases there is more cost involved in redecorating and remodelling in the existing house for the tie in of the extension. Extensions vary greatly on cost as there are far more variables than a new build including size, shape, interaction with existing, existing services, new area use (kitchen will be more expensive than a living room etc), external finishes, patios, decking etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 37 MistySky

Thanks kkelliher

I realise this question is like asking how long is a piece of string!

I suppose I had hoped for a ball-park figure for the build including 'basic' finish and then add in any extras from there. It looks like this may not be possible with a small extension. I read somewhere that anything less than 160 sq feet was not worth doing due to the costs....so I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

MistySky wrote: »
    Thanks kkelliher

I realise this question is like asking how long is a piece of string!

I suppose I had hoped for a ball-park figure for the build including 'basic' finish and then add in any extras from there. It looks like this may not be possible with a small extension. I read somewhere that anything less than 160 sq feet was not worth doing due to the costs....so I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time.

As I said I've seem similar m2 come in at close to 50k due to structure/drainage/access etc
    If its straight forward then 20k may be achievable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement