Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New "Gaming pc" need advice on how to improve and what is holding it back?

Options
  • 15-12-2015 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi guys I've recently bought this pc below

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/151413162559?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Wanted it to play counter strike global offensive, it can only run it well in low settings and low resolution

I presume 4.2 GHZ is top of the range, and 8GB ram is decent

is it the intregrated graphics card (Radeon R7 Series 7650k 1GB ) that is the problem? Or the cheap 60hz monitor ? (does that effect gameplay at all)?

Any help or advice on improvements would be great.

(I know i should of really built one myself, but ah well!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

It's the onboard graphics. For the price it's not god awful. Grab a R9 270X second hand or a GTX 750TI and you'll be hitting much better frames in Western Shootout Simulator 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭pittsburgh

Xenoronin wrote: »
    It's the onboard graphics. For the price it's not god awful. Grab a R9 270X second hand or a GTX 750TI and you'll be hitting much better frames in Western Shootout Simulator 2015.

Thanks for that, i have been reading about SSD's do i need one? (dont even know what they do to be fair)...

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

You don't need one, but they're very very nice to have and I couldn't imagine not using one any more. Everything loads faster and is accessed much quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

SSD is basically a super fast hard drive, they're quite nice to have.

A new GPU as above would be a great call, just make sure the PSU can handle it

500W apparently, will easily drive up to a 970 (though that would be wasted on this processor)
    Edit: Assuming it has PCI-E connectors.

• Advertisement

Would that PSU be able to handle either of these R9 270X GTX 750TI

Read that the 270x is very long, would that be a problem fitting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 fouro

To get the most out of AMD APUs you need to run with 2400Mhz RAM.

What speed is the RAM that came with your build?

fouro wrote: »
    To get the most out of AMD APUs you need to run with 2400Mhz RAM.

What speed is the RAM that came with your build?

How could i find this out? All i know it is 8GB Ram

Sorry for stupidity ..

No need to self depreciate :D
    Download that (direct link btw) and it will show you all the facts about your PC.

The PSU is fine for either card, not sure about length

• Advertisement

I reread the Ebay ad and it states your RAM is 1600Mhz. That is the first thing holding your performance back. They really should have used 2400Mhz RAM with this build when its advertised as a gaming rig. I'm guessing they also used the stock cooler which is fine for media centre use but for heavy gaming sessions will struggle and be loud. What games do you play and what monitor do you have?

The 10/20% performance increase with 2400MHz RAM may be useful down the line (the figures look very promising which I wasn't expecting to see), the lack of dedicated graphics are what is really holding this build back in a gaming performance standpoint.

The A10 APU is good for media centres and media servers which need low power and high performance. Its designed to act as a CPU and graphics accelerator (GPU) on a single chip. When it comes to gaming it will run most modern games at medium settings so expect 30-40 FPS for CS:GO and BF4. For MOBAs it performs well with 90 FPS. Its possible to run crossfire with a R7 250 for another 10-20% performance increase. But it will only ever be a low - medium settings gaming machine without a dedicated GPU as Xenoronin points out.

CS GO only game im interested in really

Ye getting terrible fps on higher settings

Playing on 600x800 4:3 all low setting now get around 70-100 in game (100-140 looking at walls) (i prefer the low res anway, only cs 1.6 player, feels more a bit more like 1.6)

Think ill get a new graphics card alright

Am i right in saying AMD can only use radeon and intel use geforce?

The monitor is a cheap 24" inch 60hz ill check the model when im home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Some of the 750's draw power from pci slot which is handy with older psu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You will find as well in the latest games at the 7650K is a much slower processor than Intel i3's, but for stuff like CS:GO obviously it's fine.

A GTX750Ti 2GB is just €130 and is an excellent budget card, can't go wrong there and easily runs CS:Go at ultra at high FPS.

You can also get something cheaper like an R7 250 and it can do hybrid crossfire with the integrated R7.

Sometimes the results are patchy though depending on the game, so probably best off just getting the GTX750Ti (or the €110 GTX750 non-ti).

The A10 7850k with 2400Mnz RAM is passable for gaming at 720p but not 1080p or above. I had a quick look around and the cheapest 2400 RAM I could find was "HyperX Savage 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) 2400 MHz DDR3 CL11 DIMM XMP Memory Module" on Amazon UK for £36.98 = e51. In terms of performance the 7850 falls just behind the current generation of consoles (which AMD provide the guts). Your seller is large and established on Ebay and offers a 14 day no quibble return policy. Instead of dropping another e100+ on a dedicated GPU you could always return the PC and get one of the lads on here to build you a i3 + gtx750 build for under e500. Something to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

It has an A8 7650K in it, not the A10.

superg wrote: »
    It has an A8 7650K in it, not the A10.

Well that puts it a generation further back. Time to get glasses to read my phone. I was reading it as 7850k and not 7650k!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Its a poor "Gaming PC" for the money in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

I have a gtx750ti, it goes around half way across a standard atx motherboard.

Thanks for all the reply. a few questions.

Since its AMD does that mean only Radeon works ? Does Geforce work with AMD?

What are the points i need to make sure i look at, to make sure it is compatible with the PC?

I see models of GPU cards like MSI, ASUS etc what is the differnce in these?

And finally is it complicated to install a gpu card?

Ive never built a PC but i'm pretty decent at most stuff techy.. i hope!

Thanks

pittsburgh wrote: »

Since its AMD does that mean only Radeon works ? Does Geforce work with AMD? They're interchangable, AMD chips run Nvidia cards and Intel runs AMD

What are the points i need to make sure i look at, to make sure it is compatible with the PC? Not really, just it's length in the case

I see models of GPU cards like MSI, ASUS etc what is the differnce in these? Cooler, and some of them are factory overclocked

And finally is it complicated to install a gpu card? Nope, click it into the slot, screw the holder and plug in the power connector

Thanks

Answered

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

pittsburgh wrote: »

Since its AMD does that mean only Radeon works ? Does Geforce work with AMD?

What are the points i need to make sure i look at, to make sure it is compatible with the PC?

I see models of GPU cards like MSI, ASUS etc what is the differnce in these?

And finally is it complicated to install a gpu card?

Thanks

On the motherboard there are PCie slots which both types of graphics card can fit into, regardless of the CPU. You wil have to read read reviews to get a handle of the pros and cons of each card. Installation is simply clicking the card in the right slot, after you removed the back plates, i.e remove the screw. There are lots of tutorials on youtube that will show you how its done.

Thanks for that

If i was to say get a GTX 750TI would this be a problem with my already integrated Radeon r7 series card?

Would these both be working together or one only - or a clash?

Think its only the 750Ti in that case. There's no clash between them, display comes from wherever you plug the cable into, the other will be turned off

Hi guys think im going to go with the gtx 750 ti

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/111734778386?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Can someone confirm if my vga monitor will fit into it? or do i need an adapter?

Monitor is vga 60hz Hannsg

Is it better to get a hdmi cable?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

You will need one of these.That's a dvi to vga but a dvi-d to vga will also work.
    Some cards come with one of them so you might be lucky.

game4it70 wrote: »
    You will need one of these.That's a dvi to vga but a dvi-d to vga will also work.
    Some cards come with one of them so you might be lucky.

Thanks for that.

Would you recommend DVI or HDMI for gaming mostly CS GO?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I don't think it matters since the monitor is vga tbh.Normal hdmi leads will carry sound but i doubt in your case its any use to you as the converting into vga doesn't support sound afaik.

Advertisement