Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1440p vs 144mHz

Options
  • 15-12-2015 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭

Hey folks.

So I want to upgrade my monitor, primarily for gaming, and I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on which is the better option between the above? I have a 4GB GTX 970 which should be fine for both (I think?) but I'm torn between which I want.

Given they're similar prices (if you go for G-Sync with the 144mHz), what's the better option here?

Also, potential monitors would be appreciated. Ideally around the €400-450 mark.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Depends on your needs to be honest. 1440p if you want a screen to be 27". If you want 24", then 1080p 144Hz wins every time. 1080p at 27" looks kinda bad imo.

Scan.co.uk do the G2460PG AOC for a very good price even when converted, but use skinflint.co.uk to double check prices across the board. There is also the XB240HA from Acer. BenQ's XL2420G is a little more expensive but has a few more options if you use the monitor for more than just your PC.

My ideal monitor would be a 24" 144Hz 1080p IPS GSync, but it seems to be that seems to be a pipe dream.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I have the monitor Xenoronin mentioned and also have a 27" 1440 60hz IPS and I can tell you now the 144hz Gsync wins everytime for gaming.
    I had considered a 1440 IPS gsync 144hz but I would need atleast a second 970 to do it justice and pay €800 + for the monitor alone [ not to mention the huge issues with such offerings from Acer and Asus], I decided to go with 1080 gsync 144hz and save myself a fortune as its the perfect screen for a 970, no need for a second GPU.
    To me 60hz to 144hz is massive where as 1080 to 1440 not so,not to mention gsync.
    For productivity ofcourse the 1440 is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Dcully wrote: »
    I have the monitor Xenoronin mentioned and also have a 27" 1440 60hz IPS and I can tell you now the 144hz Gsync wins everytime for gaming.
    I had considered a 1440 IPS gsync 144hz but I would need atleast a second 970 to do it justice and pay €800 + for the monitor alone [ not to mention the huge issues with such offerings from Acer and Asus], I decided to go with 1080 gsync 144hz and save myself a fortune as its the perfect screen for a 970, no need for a second GPU.
    To me 60hz to 144hz is massive where as 1080 to 1440 not so,not to mention gsync.
    For productivity ofcourse the 1440 is the best option.

I'm not too concerned with productivity. As I said, I mostly want it for gaming.

have to say, that conflicts with most of what I've heard, that 1440p is better for gaming than 144mHz (I simply cannot afford both).

I have a 1080p 27" AOC. Not a great monitor by any stretch, but solid. Would the difference really be that noticeable on say .. a 25" 144mHz w/ G-Sync?

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Depends on your needs to be honest. 1440p if you want a screen to be 27". If you want 24", then 1080p 144Hz wins every time. 1080p at 27" looks kinda bad imo.

Scan.co.uk do the G2460PG AOC for a very good price even when converted, but use skinflint.co.uk to double check prices across the board. There is also the XB240HA from Acer. BenQ's XL2420G is a little more expensive but has a few more options if you use the monitor for more than just your PC.

My ideal monitor would be a 24" 144Hz 1080p IPS GSync, but it seems to be that seems to be a pipe dream.

The AOC certainly looks good. I'm still trying to decide if it's worth €400 to go from 1080p to ... 1080p (but with 144mHz G-Sync). Decisions decisions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Im kinda in the same boat as Cina. I have an overclocked 970 that runs @1216/1367. However I am thinking of upgrading it next year when pascal comes out. In the mean time though, I have about 700€ in vouchers, so was thinking of getting the Asus PG279Q or the Acer XB271HU. As it will be almost free [I dont really have much else to spend the vouchers on], Im thinking of getting the monitor in Jan, and then a new card a few months later.
    What kind of framerates would i be looking at roughly with either of those on the overclocked 970? Im coming from a 1080 60Hz 24" so anything will be better :P
    And sorry for Hijacking your thread. :D

• Advertisement

The 970 should be able to handle 1440p just fine. I couldn't tell you the average without a bit of research but i'd say 60-90fps depending on settings and the game in question. Something like CS:GO could easily hit 144fps at even high settings on a 1440p monitor.

Would definitely look at the new ROG Swift, the 165hz is a gimmick apparently though according to TFTCentral (doesn't affect it negatively though). If Acer have managed to work out the kinks of the XB270HU it might be interesting to look at the newer version.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The 970 should be able to handle 1440p just fine. I couldn't tell you the average without a bit of research but i'd say 60-90fps depending on settings and the game in question. Something like CS:GO could easily hit 144fps at even high settings on a 1440p monitor.

Would definitely look at the new ROG Swift, the 165hz is a gimmick apparently though according to TFTCentral (doesn't affect it negatively though). If Acer have managed to work out the kinks of the XB270HU it might be interesting to look at the newer version.

Just to confirm this for you.

I'm using the ROG Swift PG278Q 27" 1440p alongside a 970 GPU and haven't had any real issues with games.

I'd say most AAA games are running at about 50-60fps at a mix of High and Ultra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

As an alternative, flog the 970 , get a 390 and then go freesync.
    Cheaper monitors and 8gb ram rather than 3.5 on card.
    Extra ram on card will come into its own in time.
    Just a thought.

Redfox25 wrote: »
    As an alternative, flog the 970 , get a 390 and then go freesync.
    Nah. Gonna stay with Nvidia. :P
    Sonics2k wrote: »
    Just to confirm this for you.

I'm using the ROG Swift PG278Q 27" 1440p alongside a 970 GPU and haven't had any real issues with games.

I'd say most AAA games are running at about 50-60fps at a mix of High and Ultra.
    Cool. I came from a laptop with a Radeon5650, to a 970 overclocked [with a 4970K & 16gb RAM], so prior to my current setup i had p*ss poor framerates.
    From what you are saying I can get the 1440p with the 144hz, and update the card ata later point. At that price, I would be keeping the monitor for a while [I mean my current Samsung is ~5years old]
    The model you listed is the slightly older version, correct? TN model, with no HDMI?

Thanks for that. As the vouchers are from work, Its not really going to cost me very much, so I might wait until end of Jan or so and get a feel for how these sold over christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

+1 on buy the good monitor now, you realistically won't change it for quite a while so 1440 and 140Hz will stand to you. In 18 months the GPU to power it will be a lot cheaper.

Gives you the option too, say Civ5 you can run in glorious 1440 with high detail then flip to CSGO and drop to 1080 at 140fps and stomp on the competition. Win win.

In essence, it boils down to can you hold out until you have another 300 saved up to blow 750 or above on a 1440p 144Hz monitor. Or, do what Redfox said and sell the 970, grab a R9 390, spend about 500 on a FreeSync monitor. It's looking like an attractive option to me anyway but I'll hold out on my HP IPS screen for a little while longer.

>In essence, it boils down to can you hold out until you have another 300 saved up to blow 750 or above on a 1440p 144Hz monitor.
    TBH the money doesnt really matter. I think getting the monitor now, using it for a while and then replace the card at a later point is my best option.

Thanks for all the help folks, and apologies for derailing Cina's thread for my own nefarious needs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

What kind of games do you play?

Higher res would have a more immediately noticeable prettier look and (sadly) have more compatibility with modern games than higher Hz (lots of unessecary caps or bad performance these days).

Higher Hz would benefit controls and smoothness. I prefer this personally but I know most people would not especially if you're casually gaming (and I don't man that as in casual vs competitive).

There's no official resolution:inch perfection. Many people say 1080p is too low for 27" but it's really quite subjective. There's much bigger HDTVs that are 1080p. It's dependent on the content you're viewing and how far you're sitting from the display. You could have a 40" 1080p HDTV and that's grand if you're sitting at a regular sofa distance and playing some modern fighting game with friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

The problem with X v Y on monitors is it's so dependant on the person. Anything over 75Hz I cant tell the differance so I went for 1440p as that's where I can see the difference. Someone else would be think the frame rate was too low.

Thanks for all the help folks. I'll be honest, lots of conflicting opinions there haven't really helped me decide, but um, thanks anyway :)

1440p is a nice upgrade in terms of screen size.
    As you will likely keep the monitor for 3 to 4 years it would be nice to get the one you want first time.

Maybe have another look at joining the amd team. Monitor and god card wont be anymore than 8 to 900. Leaving you to sell your current gpu. That is for a 144hz 1440p screen btw.

Bought my 3440 by 1440p 34" Ultrawide it's only 75Hz but I love it! Last monitor I'll every buy - until it breaks. It's all VR from here on :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Cina wrote: »
    Thanks for all the help folks. I'll be honest, lots of conflicting opinions there haven't really helped me decide, but um, thanks anyway :)

Tell us what kind of games you play or are expecting your new monitor to compliment and we may be able to give you slightly less subjective advice. Control input, too. KB/M, gamepad?

Be very careful of the acer and asus 1440 144hz screens, they seem to have an infinite amount of issues, people over on okuk forums getting 30+ dead pixels ,other guys having to get 10-20 replacements before getting a good one, that's what prevented me splashing out on one, €800 + and a second 970 or single stronger card would have brought me over a grand where as the 144hz gsync AOC cost only €400

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

If I had to choose, I'd go with the higher frequency plus g-sync over the higher resolution (especially if you're looking at below 27"), but really I think it would be best to future-proof a bit more when buying a monitor right now. My last monitor was used for almost 4 years as a primary and another year as a secondary. 4-5 years down the line, both 1080p and 60Hz are going to be looking awfully long in the tooth.

If it's a question of cash, you might be better off saving a little longer, holding off for better prices in the new year, or looking at something second-hand to score the 1440p 144Hz G-sync trifecta. This will allow you to stretch the legs of your 970 right now, while still allowing for a bit of growth in the future.

So I think I'll take the advice on board and wait a month or two til I have the money for a 1440p 144mHz g-sync. Future proofing is always a good thing for PC gaming! :)

Any advice on a non-crazy expensive one?

Unfortunately with G-Sync you just have to pay the premium. The XB270HU would be the cheapest with an IPS Panel.

I think g sync adds 200 euro to the price of the monitor due to the extra bit they have to add in.
    Freesync does not have that issue.
    Keep an eye out for sales over xmas in amazon and the other sites and god luck with it.

Or take my advice and go team red and spend extra 200 ish on investment like beer women snd games. In your preferred order;)

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Acer XB271HU is the new model, superseding the XB270HU. Pretty similar but it has speakers and HDMI. It can also overclock to 165 Hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭Nollog

I'd personally go for a freesync monitor.

https://www.curiua.com/dp/B00WUACDIU

If they made this with more Hz I'd be all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

If you want something cheaper you could grab an overclockable Qnix 2710 which can be got for around €250 on ebay. Possible extra €50 from import customs. It uses a Samsung PLS panel which is pretty much the same tech as IPS.

I got one recently and it's infinitely better than my old 1080p IPS and it overclocks to 110hz. I got mine second hand (from MarkAnthony) for a little over €200 though. If you get stung by customs €300 brings it a lot closer to the big brand prices although a G-Sync is going to cost at least twice that.

My 970 handles this res really well and I haven't even overclocked it yet. BF4 maxed out get's usually between 60-100fps on 64 man servers.

BloodBath wrote: »
    If you want something cheaper you could grab an overclockable Qnix 2710 which can be got for around €250 on ebay. Possible extra €50 from import customs. It uses a Samsung PLS panel which is pretty much the same tech as IPS.

I got one recently and it's infinitely better than my old 1080p IPS and it overclocks to 110hz. I got mine second hand (from MarkAnthony) for a little over €200 though. If you get stung by customs €300 brings it a lot closer to the big brand prices although a G-Sync is going to cost at least twice that.

My 970 handles this res really well and I haven't even overclocked it yet. BF4 maxed out get's usually between 60-100fps on 64 man servers.

Delivered and everything! :pac: (Thanks for the petrol money!) Glad to see you're enjoying it!!

BloodBath wrote: »
    If you want something cheaper you could grab an overclockable Qnix 2710 which can be got for around €250 on ebay.

PErsonally, I'd rather spend the grade now and have a pretty god damn decent monitor now, and upgrade the card later.
    But then again, if you are getting 60-100 fps on BF4, overclocked card might get a little more.
    I play mainly stuff like Witcher/Fallout but I think ill be happy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Is Gsync and Freesync tied into the type of card you use? I'm not following that.

I have a 290x, I'd say a move to the new tech monitors will be my next investment and PC upgrade.

I mostly play World of Warcraft, so I'm not exactly playing cutting edge stuff. But do play battlefield and some other bits. The 144mhz monitors sound very interesting. Would probably want to keep the monitor size I have at the moment, 24" I think they are

Advertisement