Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bdgp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

to me, a waste of monies

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭reps4

Noticed in journal that eligible females on the requirement date in 2018 have to be born since 2013. I didn't see this requirement previously.
    Anyone notice this before. This means any older genotype cows would be deemed ineligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

reps4 wrote: »
    Noticed in journal that eligible females on the requirement date in 2018 have to be born since 2013. I didn't see this requirement previously.
    Anyone notice this before. This means any older genotype cows would be deemed ineligible.

I think that rule only applies to bought in stock, if the animals were in your herd when the scheme started they qualify no matter what age they are if theyre 4/5 star animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Ya that was known

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Does that not only apply for animals bought in? I believe the ones in your herd at the time of signing up should be ok. Or was this just revised for the BDGP 2.
    The requirement for female replacements is that, by the end of the scheme, the number of four- and five-star cows on a participating herds must be at least equal to 50% of the number of reference animals advised to the farmer at the start of the programme. For example, a farmer with 20 calved suckler cows in 2014 must have ten four- or five-star females by 31 October 2020. These animals must be at least 16 months old, to ensure they are being retained on farms, and must be four or five stars on the replacement index at the time of purchase, for heifers brought into the herd, or at the time of genotyping, for those replacements bred within the herd. There is also an intermediate target of 20% for 2018. A considerable amount of analysis has been undertaken to ascertain the availability of these female replacements in the coming years. Many farmers are already well on the way to meeting the requirement for four- and five-star animals. Analysis undertaken by ICBF of the 2014 beef genomics scheme has indicated that some 30% of herds are already compliant with the requirement for female animals in 2020, that is, that the number of four- and five-star heifers is equal to 50% of the reference animals on each farm. All farmers will receive comprehensive training, and ongoing information and advice to assist them in introducing the required breeding strategy. Of course, these requirements will take time to introduce and this is why a five-year lead-in time has been included in the design of the programme.

^ Taken from here- https://www.kildarestreet.com/committees/?id=2015-06-16a.5 which is a speech/debate by Gleeson & co.

and
    Applicants are also required to ensure that a percentage of their heifers are genotyped females that are:

Four or five stars on the replacement index (within or across breeds) at the time of purchase or at the time of genotyping for those heifers bred from within the herd.
    Where a non-genotyped heifer is purchased, this animal must be subsequently genotyped and confirmed four or five-star on the replacement index before being deemed eligible for the programme.
    For heifers purchased after the closing date, they must be born in 2013 or later.
    20% of the farms reference animals must be four or five-star genotyped heifers/eligible suckler cows by October 31, 2018, this requirement increases to 50% by October 31, 2020.
    Taken from Agriland (published back in 2015- http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/genomics-here-are-the-requirements-of-the-new-suckler-scheme/ )

• Advertisement

Actually it was discussed in this thread 9 months ago, look for post #110 onwards.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103215091

Thanks. Still unsure if they qualify or not based on the posts. Anyone know for sure as t+c's are not clear.
    As 1 of the old posts said which i agree totally with,I'm not going selling perfect old cows to go buying in younger problems..

Thanks. Still unsure if they qualify or not based on the posts. Anyone know for sure as t+c's are not clear.
    As 1 of the old posts said which i agree totally with,I'm not going selling perfect old cows to go buying in younger problems..

I just checked mine on ICBF.com and it shows that the cows born before 2013 that are 4/5 star are eligible. Those cows were born on the farm here tho.
    If youve got herdplus you can check yours there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Are lads really struggling to have 20% of reference number over 4 stars?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

I thought it was 50% by 2018 and 80% by 2020?
    I could be way off but that was what I had in my head for some reason.

• Advertisement

You were spot on. Should never have doubted you.

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    I thought it was 50% by 2018 and 80% by 2020?
    I could be way off but that was what I had in my head for some reason.

Its 20% this year and 50% in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

anyone else still waiting for payment? been promised i would be paid every week for i dunno how long but nothing yet, bit of a joke, everything in order, had inspection which was the cause of initial delay which went fine but still nothing from, kinda sick of ringing them at this stage

annubis wrote: »
    anyone else still waiting for payment? been promised i would be paid every week for i dunno how long but nothing yet, bit of a joke, everything in order, had inspection which was the cause of initial delay which went fine but still nothing from, kinda sick of ringing them at this stage
    Yeah in the same boat here

they keep telling me about a payment run next week.. and when next week comes the payment run is the following week :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Any Facebook page you can post it on as public shame might help. Any good calling a td.

The Raes were trying to highlight late payments to farmers in the dail today but that Sligo leitrim clown McSharry reared up and a massive shouting match ensued. Resulting in the suspension of the dail for a few minutes.

Bellview wrote: »
    Any Facebook page you can post it on as public shame might help. Any good calling a td.
    rang the IFA for the first time ever in early january , they came back to me after a week or so and told me they looked into my case and i was going to be paid very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭50HX

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    The Raes were trying to highlight late payments to farmers in the dail today but that Sligo leitrim clown McSharry reared up and a massive shouting match ensued. Resulting in the suspension of the dail for a few minutes.

pat the cope did a dunphy on it with the pen

https://www.joe.ie/news/dail-argument-615382

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

TITANIUM. wrote:

The raes need trying to get folks onside. Saw some press on a development in tralee where locals kicking up as no planning etc for work on a pub
    Maybe rae own payments were late...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

Payment run earlier this week.

It didn't run over here!

It didn't run over here!
    mine finally showing in amounts due this morning

Yet another general question.. it's there a minimum requirement number of cows that have to calf each year as as percentage of reference initially.

For example I had 26 cows reference yr. Plan to reduce to 15 over next 2 yrs and make up my star's requirement with dry heifers.
    Is 15 cows calving too little to be compliant.

No, you don't need to keep any cows at all, as long as you can genomic test your reference number of animals each year, which would mean buying in cattle. You'd also have to keep in mind your reference number for 4/5 star animals for this Oct 2018 & 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I got paid this week for missing surveys but 2018 genotyping E155 deducted from it already !!! Thought they’d take it out of 2018 bdgp payment like they did with 15/16/17

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Anyone know what are the bands for the stars now? I can only find spring 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

sonnybill wrote: »
    I got paid this week for missing surveys but 2018 genotyping E155 deducted from it already !!! Thought they’d take it out of 2018 bdgp payment like they did with 15/16/17

As payment for 2018 will not be made until December 2018, that amount deducted for genotypin can only be for 2017 or previous yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Sami23

As payment for 2018 will not be made until December 2018, that amount deducted for genotypin can only be for 2017 or previous yrs

No my genotyping for 2018 was deducted also already as small numbers here and only in 2nd year so easy enough to work out

• Advertisement

Anyone know what are the bands for the stars now? I can only find spring 2017.

1* Up to 44
    2* up to 63
    3* up to 79
    4* upto 98
    5* 99+

Advertisement