Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bdgp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

wiggy123 wrote: »
    tired to reselect a different animal there-giving me errors

Contact the ICBF immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

you should be able to do that no prob I’ve done it every year so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

it was doing that on me yesterday but I logged in again today and I was able to change the animals selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

all sorted now-- I emailed ICBF and they did it-said could be a problem, re internet connection my end..
    done now anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Just changed one of my selction for genomic tagging there. You have up to 30 Jan 2019 to change, according to the letter I got.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

I changed a few of mine too.
    If you use the "lock in" option on the website do they send out the tags earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

tanko wrote: »
    I changed a few of mine too.
    If you use the "lock in" option on the website do they send out the tags earlier?

Id say so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭jfh

Id say so

Lock in, you get the tags earlier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I just got notified of an inspection on this later in the week, checking the last cows tagged and the carbon navigator. A few lads round here due the same day as well.

Going by chats with other lads in the scheme, if you haven't been paid yet, you're probably due an inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Got a letter today that as a result of genotyping a bull calf is showing up as a female....definitely the bull calf I took hair from. Anyone else get this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Regards the self selection, I chose to defer mine until April. I did it last year too. Allows me to pick this year's heifers to make up the reference number. Find that quite handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Do you have to keep a 4/5 bull definitely till 30 June or whatever is the date? Once the records show I had a 4/5 bull in my herd from Mid March to mid may, would that suffice. Tried ringing Dept today to enquire but couldn’t get thro.

My story is I normally buy a bull early, let him out for 7/8 weeks (compact) calving and sell him on or transfer to a neighbor who calves later.

Have young kids with land around the house so don’t like a bull around the place any longer than I need him.

Dunedin wrote: »
    Do you have to keep a 4/5 bull definitely till 30 June or whatever is the date? Once the records show I had a 4/5 bull in my herd from Mid March to mid may, would that suffice. Tried ringing Dept today to enquire but couldn’t get thro.

My story is I normally buy a bull early, let him out for 7/8 weeks (compact) calving and sell him on or transfer to a neighbor who calves later.

Have young kids with land around the house so don’t like a bull around the place any longer than I need him.

Ya need him for 2020 again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Ya need him for 2020 again

So what’s happens if bull died on 29th June??

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

Dunedin wrote: »

I’d reckon it wouldn’t be a problem if he’s gone. As long as he was genotype 4/5 star.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

whelan2 wrote: »
    Got a letter today that as a result of genotyping a bull calf is showing up as a female....definitely the bull calf I took hair from. Anyone else get this?

Yes had the same last year with a heifer, tagged and then they sent a hair sample and they said was def a male calf again, asked if got the vet to certify as female and sent photographs of her with the tag in. They would not have it and won’t pay on this animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Yes had the same last year with a heifer, tagged and then they sent a hair sample and they said was def a male calf again, asked if got the vet to certify as female and sent photographs of her with the tag in. They would not have it and won’t pay on this animal.

Makes you wonder eh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

I have 2 cows outside and the neighbours bulls broke in (non pedigree feeding bulls) and bulled them . When these calves are born will I be penalised

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Aravo

Tomjim wrote:
    I have 2 cows outside and the neighbours bulls broke in (non pedigree feeding bulls) and bulled them . When these calves are born will I be penalised

Your star rating may be affected but as long as you have the rate of 4&5 stars applicable to you, it won't matter. Sure they could have bull calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Doing a bit of planning here to reduce herd.

My reference number is 14

I have stock bull - genotypes 4 star (but dropped to 2star on replacement index in the last few runs)
    I will keep him for remainder of scheme but when can I sell him?

I have 7 older cows that currently qualify for the scheme by stars but some older than others. They were born on farm so AFAIK they are ok for scheme.
    What date can I sell these? Is it 1/11/20 I plan on selling the rest once their calves are reared this year.

I’ve 4 heifer calves with stars that will be over 16 months on 31/10/20- so if they genotype ok I plan to keep but not bull and sell on 1/11/20. I plan on selling the rest after tb test in April/May or next sept

Until Farm is in my name, I’ve no real intention of spending much my money buying cattle and they being in mams name so I want to use what I have.

• Advertisement

When can we expect genomic tags??

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

High bike wrote: »
    When can we expect genomic tags??

The day after you turn them out of the shed!! :D

Parishlad wrote: »
    The day after you turn them out of the shed!! :D
    wouldn't surprise me😂

I have stock bull - genotypes 4 star (but dropped to 2star on replacement index in the last few runs)

I have 7 older cows that currently qualify for the scheme by stars but some older than others. They were born on farm so AFAIK they are ok for scheme.
    What date can I sell these? Is it 1/11/20 I plan on selling the rest once their calves are reared this year.

I’ve 4 heifer calves with stars that will be over 16 months on 31/10/20- so if they genotype ok I plan to keep but not bull and sell on 1/11/20. I plan on selling the rest after tb test in April/May or next sept

Until Farm is in my name, I’ve no real intention of spending much my money buying cattle and they being in mams name so I want to use what I have.

Wat you going keeping when the scheme is over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

this time next year we should do a poll on how many lads will sell out or reduce their sucklers when the scheme is over...once the fear of penalties are gone folks may pack in some or all of the sucklers...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Dunno. Maybe a few a cows of the cows I like and AI them.

Either that or enough weanlings for the payments.

One option was a small herd of rare breeds like an Irish moiled. If they weren’t making money, at least it would help with its numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

You can sell the bull on 01/07/2020.
    You need 7 genotyped 4/5 star cows or heifers over 16 months on 31/10/2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

My genomic tags arrived today.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Same here Patsy, makes it handier before they go out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭TalkingBull

My genomic tags arrived today.
    arrived here too, 28 days to tag and return

Advertisement