Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bdgp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭Tomjim

I rang ICBF, the problem is the bull was never genotyped ie tested, si I have to do that now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Parishlad wrote: »
    Don't put him on the slats with the cows anyway. Too much of a chance that he'll be pucking the cows and cause one of them to lose a calf.

I know there’s a possibility but we never had a problem of the bull with incalf cows
    Other cows can be more of a problem

Sami23 wrote: »
    Just on bulls in general - what age would ye say a young bull would be fit to serve cows as thinking of buying a stock bull this year for the first time.
    Also any tips or advice on having a bull on the farm would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm just sick of trying to get cows in calf with AI and still ending up with empties every year.
    Tia
    Think the catalog from the bull sales gives a rule of thumb of min 12 months & to have a 13 month bull with 12 cows, 15 months with 15 cows ...

Do many put a chain on the bull anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Not trying to break your convo, but Just when this topic is open, I've a question,
    Had a reference of 20 cows at beginning of scheme, but due to a bit of a clear out, I've only 12 in calf, ready to drop.
    Will I get less money at the end of year, or will I have to pay back all money because I didn't meet the reference?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Sami23

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Not trying to break your convo, but Just when this topic is open, I've a question,
    Had a reference of 20 cows at beginning of scheme, but due to a bit of a clear out, I've only 12 in calf, ready to drop.
    Will I get less money at the end of year, or will I have to pay back all money because I didn't meet the reference?
    Thanks

AFAIK you just need to have enough animals to genotype 60% of your reference number

I know there’s a possibility but we never had a problem of the bull with incalf cows
    Other cows can be more of a problem

Do you always leave the Bull on the slats with the cows as that would suit me if it was workable and to your point cows are devil's sometimes for pucking each other

AFAIK you just need to have enough animals to genotype 60% of your reference number

Had rang them few weeks ago but they were fairly abrupt with any answer
    I don't mind buying in some heifers to compensate, just trying to quit the sucklers.
    A matter of holding out till 2020 with out a snag.
    Thanks for opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Do you always leave the Bull on the slats with the cows as that would suit me if it was workable and to your point cows are devil's sometimes for pucking each other
    prob depends on the bulls temperament, have done it for the last couple of years with no issues as he’s quiet

High bike wrote: »
    prob depends on the bulls temperament, have done it for the last couple of years with no issues as he’s quiet

Or else any corner of a field near the yard with a ring feeder and bit of shelter should suffice to out winter

• Advertisement

Or else any corner of a field near the yard with a ring feeder and bit of shelter should suffice to out winter
    im sure it would weather permitting

Yep father has always done it & put with incalf as no jumping
    Wouldn’t of had extra space

Would they b happy enough on their own for the winter doing that

Would they b happy enough on their own for the winter doing that

Might depend on bull but any I had has been done for years this way,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Never done it here. I think it would make them cranky. Plus they could get it caught up on something, like an electric fence.
    I never leave the bull on his own and always give him a wide berth in the field, never pat him on the head. I never go into his personal space - he never comes into mine. :rolleyes:

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Never done it here. I think it would make them cranky. Plus they could get it caught up on something, like an electric fence.
    I never leave the bull on his own and always give him a wide berth in the field, never pat him on the head. I never go into his personal space - he never comes into mine. :rolleyes:

That's a bit one patsy, never put a chain on here either, had a lad years ago with a chain and he turned nasty. If he's lying down I don't go over getting him up and if there is a cow bulling I just turn around and look at them later, he's only protecting his herd.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

Cattle being Herd Animals like to have a mate , so its better for the bulls temperament to have company . ( A calf probably best as unlikley to be jumping or play fighting )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭Grueller

Everyone here will tell me I am wrong but I have a blue bull and a limousin. Both of them go on a sheltered paddock together for the winter. Never mind fighting, I often see them licking each other. However once breeding starts they can't be within 2 fields of each other.

Grueller wrote: »
    Everyone here will tell me I am wrong but I have a blue bull and a limousin. Both of them go on a sheltered paddock together for the winter. Never mind fighting, I often see them licking each other. However once breeding starts they can't be within 2 fields of each other.

Rams can be the same
    You should have great calves if you’re crossing those two breeds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Grueller wrote: »

I put my 2 together for the winter aswell. Often seen them licking each other, no problem with them fighting either.

• Advertisement

I put my 2 together for the winter aswell. Often seen them licking each other, no problem with them fighting either.

In shed or outwintered ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

In shed or outwintered ?

Outwintered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭Grueller

Rams can be the same
    You should have great calves if you’re crossing those two breeds

Happy with a lot of the calves. As always there are a few that I would like to improve upon but such is the way of it.
    As far as I can see in sucklers it is make the export grade e & u or make no money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I was in same boat here, not around enough to catch them bulling, was a pure disaster I went the opposite way to most and bought a 5yr old high star bull with great breeding cheap off done deal so bought off farm, I seen his calfs on the ground and was very happy with what I seen. This will be his 3rd season running with my cows and only reason I'll be getting rid of him is because I've kept all the heifers he produced.
    A good electric fence is the only way to stop him heading off to the neighbours bulling heifers but once it's on he won't even sniff over the wall at them. Biggest problem I have is after his job is done trying to find a corner to keep him in.
    Got caught the first year where I scanned the cows and once they were in calf put the bull back with them. One broke never spotted it and ended up with 1 calf 6mts after the rest. Not ideal in my own situation. There is not much in the line of stockmanship different to cows other than obviously never trust a bull etc keep an eye out on the likes of done deal and ask for the tag no, then check out his stars breeding etc on icbf bull search it will give you a good idea if the bull on paper at least will suit your herd before you ever go and look at him.

Just be extra careful with a bull once he has all cows done and no work - that’s the time they become cross and frustrated (for obvious reasons).

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Tyson Lannister

Tomjim wrote: »
    I rang ICBF, the problem is the bull was never genotyped ie tested, si I have to do that now

I have the same problem - I kept one of my own pedigree bulls but just got a text that he needs to be Genotyped before 30 June - whats the fastest way of getting it sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

I have the same problem - I kept one of my own pedigree bulls but just got a text that he needs to be Genotyped before 30 June - whats the fastest way of getting it sorted?

You can order hair sample card online...you will have card in a day or two... pluck the hairs and post back.
    In fairness they are really prompt as I had to check sire of a calf a few weeks ago and I got answer in about 10 days

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

Bellview wrote: »
    You can order hair sample card online...you will have card in a day or two... pluck the hairs and post back.
    In fairness they are really prompt as I had to check sire of a calf a few weeks ago and I got answer in about 10 days

May take a while longer following the 'bull letters' that issued to farmers earlier this week. :(

May take a while longer following the 'bull letters' that issued to farmers earlier this week. :(
    what letters was that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭tanko

High bike wrote: »
    what letters was that?

Some of the rules about stock bull eligibility have been tweeked a bit.
    I dont have a bull so not sure what they are but theyre on the icbf.com homepage.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Some of the rules about stock bull eligibility have been tweeked a bit.
    I dont have a bull so not sure what they are but theyre on the icbf.com homepage.
    the goal post are moving again

Advertisement